GMG Classical Music Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  

This forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the new forum

Read the reasons why here.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the difference?  (Read 5366 times)
DavidRoss

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2005, 07:03:11 AM »

True, if you're just getting your feet wet.  But for the old warhorses, you might want to consider some of the major labels' budget lines, as opposed to Naxos, particularly for ye olde German orchestral stuff.  For example, for about the Naxos price, Sony Essentials will give you classic Szell, Ormandy, and Bernstein, DG has Bohm or Von Karajan, Phillips Neville Marriner, Decca Georg Solti... any of which would be a much better bet than Naxos for Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, Mahler, Wagner, etc.  And with the newest remasterings, the difference in sound between a 60's analogue recording and cheap digital is not a big deal at all -- some of those old recordings sound mighty fine indeed!
And the other big guys have similar budget lines--Warner's "Apex" and Universal's "Universal Classics" (or whatever they're calling it this week).  Plus there's the Decca Legends, Columbia (CBS?) Masterworks, and EMI Great Recordings series, all of which are on sale at Tower for about $8 3 or 4 times a year.  Hyperion has it's Helios series.  BRO is a great source for overstocks, imports, and cutouts at steep discounts (see Berkshire Record Outlet thread.)  And I've bought over 100 classical CDs from eBay sellers with only a couple of problems.

However, some of Naxos's recordings are very good indeed.  You do know that for $20/year you can subscribe to their site and listen to the complete CD for just about everything in their catalog, don't you, David?

Dave.

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is. - Winston Churchill
Captain America
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2005, 07:28:18 AM »

You do know that for $20/year you can subscribe to their site and listen to the complete CD for just about everything in their catalog, don't you, David?

Dave.

Yeah.  I guess I'm just in the habit of buying the CDs outright.
DavidRoss

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2005, 07:56:33 AM »

Me, too...but I really enjoy the ability to hear the recording I'm thinking of buying first.  There's a used CD store nearby that allows this and I value that service.  It reminds me of my childhood, when it was not unusual for record stores to allow you to listen to a 45 as part of the pre-purchase decision process.  They would do that again overnight, if the buyers simply refused to purchase a record without hearing it first.  But our Lords & Masters have thoroughly brainwashed the masses into settling for blind consumerism as the purpose of their lives.  Sigh.

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is. - Winston Churchill
Captain America
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2005, 07:59:19 AM »

Me, too...but I really enjoy the ability to hear the recording I'm thinking of buying first.  There's a used CD store nearby that allows this and I value that service.  It reminds me of my childhood, when it was not unusual for record stores to allow you to listen to a 45 as part of the pre-purchase decision process.  They would do that again overnight, if the buyers simply refused to purchase a record without hearing it first.  But our Lords & Masters have thoroughly brainwashed the masses into settling for blind consumerism as the purpose of their lives.  Sigh.

You can listen to 25% of the Naxos tracks when you register for free, so I've been doing that.  Or I just buy them blind; they're cheap enough.
Danny Boy
Prokofiev & Shostakovich Fan

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2005, 08:04:32 AM »

Or I just buy them blind; they're cheap enough.

Indeed they are, Michel.  Thank God for those guys!

"I would prefer to spend more time thinking about one wrong which I may commit than about all the wrongs that may be said against me."~~St. Ignatius of Loyola

My Favorites:
Beethoven, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Brahms, Stravinsky, Sibelius, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, Mahler, Schubert
Captain America
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 08:05:35 AM »

Indeed they are, Michel.  Thank God for those guys!

Michel?!  The name's Dave.  Smiley
Danny Boy
Prokofiev & Shostakovich Fan

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 08:10:37 AM »

Michel?! The name's Dave. Smiley

Sorry, Dave.  The mentioning of Naxos and your signature made me thing you were someone else.  My apologies!

"I would prefer to spend more time thinking about one wrong which I may commit than about all the wrongs that may be said against me."~~St. Ignatius of Loyola

My Favorites:
Beethoven, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Brahms, Stravinsky, Sibelius, Bach, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, Mahler, Schubert
Captain America
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 08:11:59 AM »

Sorry, Dave.  The mentioning of Naxos and your signature made me thing you were someone else.  My apologies!

No problem.
jbuck919

The organ of the Cathedral at Passau

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2005, 08:28:47 AM »

No problem.

The two of you have no idea how close it came to being a probllem, considering the "false" name cited.  The poster known as Michel (I suppose because that is his name) has been banned and there is a huge issue about it on the Diner.  It is not unknown for posters to come back in other guises and use deceptive tricks to lead the admin astray.

I cannot disagree with a decision to fill a basic collection with basic, i.e. cheap and systematically available  recordings.  It makes perfect sense to me.   Any previous remark I made applied mainly to live performances.   Most recorded performances of the basic repertoire are more than adequate. 

drogulus

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 07:22:48 AM »

I use Naxos to get acquainted with unfamilier composers when alternatives are expensive or hard to find. For alternate versions of favorite works I usually go for older recordings, which are cheaper and often better as well.

Over time and on average, conventional wisdom holds up well on performance quality. If you bought all the Penguin rosettes, you'd come out ahead,for the most part IMO. But some people are immune to versions, I think, and others are hypersensitive. It would be interesting to try being immune, and hear all music "transparent-to-source". Smiley

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
Larry Rinkel
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2005, 09:12:41 PM »

Can you image how can be the 0verture to the Flying Dutchman play at sight by a second-rate ochestra at the Village Well at 7 o'clock in the morning? (Hindemith)

But recordings are not being made of that group. (Why Hindemith?)
Larry Rinkel
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2005, 09:18:08 PM »

Too much fuss is made about "versions".

By and large I agree, and as a corollary I don't hold much with the multiple recording crowd that buys 12 versions of a work and considers that minimal. But recordings are like a bell curve: a few substandard, a few superlative, and most at least acceptable. That said, I don't think beginning listeners are as likely as more experienced ones to hear differences in interpretations. Therefore, unless the recording is downright eccentric (think Celibidache), I have no problem with the beginner buying what he can find and afford.
DavidW
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2005, 01:02:57 AM »

I just wanted to say that there is something to be had by listening to multiple versions-- highlighting different aspects of the music.  For those of us poor sobs that don't study the score. Grin
sarape

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2005, 01:34:18 AM »

I agree with you DavidW.

It is rare for me to be completely convinced by a whole version of a large-scale piece. I often like a Bernstein performance of a symphony, for example. And then maybe I'll hear Ormandy in the same work. But I'm not sophisticated enough to say Bernstein does the 1st movement at a better pace and the strings on his version are preferred though Ormandy's solid rhythm holds my attention better and he has a better or deeper understanding of what Dvorak meant.

Basically, I only seem to grasp the major differences. And sound quality seems to dominate my initial reaction.

Russell DeAnna, Alabama, USA
"She says: 'I am the glamorous type.' I said, 'So what'."
npwilkinson
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2005, 01:37:46 AM »

I just wanted to say that there is something to be had by listening to multiple versions-- highlighting different aspects of the music. 

Of course. My remark was more about the notion of a best or "definitive" one, and all this arguing over rankings, which seems absurd to me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: