GMG Classical Music Forum
August 30, 2014, 04:11:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  

This forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the new forum

Read the reasons why here.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaljo Raid (1921-2005)  (Read 2632 times)
vandermolen

"Do that which consists of no action" (Lao Tse)

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2005, 05:34:55 AM »

I don't expect to be inundated with replies for this one but I see that Chandos have repackaged and remastered their two CD's of music by Estonian composers (at mid-price).  This includes Raid's First Symphony, a fine work in my view, very much in the spirit of Tubin and Lilburn.

I just wondered if anyone else knows/likes this work.

I gather that Raid is now a Baptist preacher in Canada.
The Voice of Mog
I am Ben. We are Mog.

Listen to Lord Kittiechner!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2005, 05:45:06 AM »

Sounds right up my street Jeffrey. I shall certainly investigate!

Goodbye Yorkshire, hello Auld Reekie
jimmosk

And I will bet a silk pajama, there isn't any...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2005, 02:21:58 PM »

Kaljo Raid's First Symphony is excellent, bordering on brilliant. As you say, there's some resemblence to early Tubin, but the way its powerful melodies grow out of silence reminds me more of Sibelius, especially the early Sibelius of the Kullervo symphony.  I became so enamored of this work that I actually wrote Raid a fan letter, the only one I've ever written to a composer.  From his reply:

September 25, 2003
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my music. You make me pretty humble. Unfortunately my Third and Fourth symphonies nor my other orchestral works have not yet [been] recorded. To speed it up, would you kindly send a letter to conductor Arvo Volmer, of the Estonian State Symphony Orchestra:  ERSO, Estonia pst.4, Tallinn 10148, ESTONIA.

...so if you feel as I do, that his music is tragically underknown (and by all means, if Chandos has reissued the First it should go on everyone's "to buy" list!), you might consider dropping maestro Volmer a note.  Let's see if we can start a flood of letters!

-J

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page:  http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction:  http://tinyurl.com/527t7
vandermolen

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 07:34:39 PM »

Kaljo Raid's First Symphony is excellent, bordering on brilliant. As you say, there's some resemblence to early Tubin, but the way its powerful melodies grow out of silence reminds me more of Sibelius, especially the early Sibelius of the Kullervo symphony.  I became so enamored of this work that I actually wrote Raid a fan letter, the only one I've ever written to a composer.  From his reply:

September 25, 2003
Thank you so much for your kind words regarding my music. You make me pretty humble. Unfortunately my Third and Fourth symphonies nor my other orchestral works have not yet [been] recorded. To speed it up, would you kindly send a letter to conductor Arvo Volmer, of the Estonian State Symphony Orchestra:  ERSO, Estonia pst.4, Tallinn 10148, ESTONIA.
-J

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page:  http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
My latest list of unusual classical CDs for auction:  http://tinyurl.com/527t7

...so if you feel as I do, that his music is tragically underknown (and by all means, if Chandos has reissued the First it should go on everyone's "to buy" list!), you might consider dropping maestro Volmer a note.  Let's see if we can start a flood of letters!

Jim,

I agree with you about the Sibelius connection too.

Jeffrey

vandermolen

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2005, 07:41:45 PM »

Sounds right up my street Jeffrey. I shall certainly investigate!

Ben,

I'm sure you'd enjoy it.  Infact that whole double CD of Estonian music is excellent, especially the stuff by Eller.

The Raid symphony desrves to be much better known.

cheers

Jeffrey
vandermolen

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2005, 07:50:27 PM »

Sadly, in doing some research I discovered that Kaljo Raid passed away in January this year.

http://www.musiccentre.ca/apps/index.cfm?fuseaction=composer.FA_dsp_biography&authpeopleid=11608&by=R
The Voice of Mog
I am Ben. We are Mog.

Listen to Lord Kittiechner!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2005, 07:57:18 PM »

Do you, by any chance, know of Artur Kapp, Jeffrey? There was a disc of Estonian music with the BBC music mag quite a while ago. It had his charming 2nd symphony on it.

There doesn't seem to be any Kapp on record other than this.

Goodbye Yorkshire, hello Auld Reekie
vandermolen

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2005, 07:08:42 PM »

Do you, by any chance, know of Artur Kapp, Jeffrey? There was a disc of Estonian music with the BBC music mag quite a while ago. It had his charming 2nd symphony on it.

Ben,

Yes, I have that CD and agree that the Kapp work is really good. I think that the same CD had a good performance of Tubin Symphony 3 on it. Look out for the "Two for One" new Chandos reissue with the Raid symphony on. I'd like to know what you think.

Jeffrey
Calaf
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2005, 03:14:38 PM »

Thanks to Jeffrey's advocacy, I've known Raid's first symphony for a couple of years. I agree that it's a major work and it dumbfounds me tha it's not better known. If Tubin is your thing, check out RAID'S FIRST SYMPHONY.

I'll make no bones about it (my French-canadian roots may be less reserved than Jeffrey's English ones! Kiss), this work is a MASTERPIECE.

Thanks to jimmosk for that link, I dearly hope we make things move for Raid !!

Here's the letter I wrote to the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra's web site:

PLEASE get Maestro Vollmer and the ASO to record the symphonies of composer Kaljo RAID. I can assure you that a devoted following already exists for such an undertaking. Raid was a teacher and inspiration to EDUARD TUBIN, whose works have been very successfully recorded on the label BIS.

RAID deserves no less than the full-fledged advocacy of his compatriot, Maestro Vollmer and the excellent ASO.

Kindly transmit this letter to Maestro Vollmer, who will no doubt rejoice at the news that RAID's following is quite strong.

Many thanks from

Calaf,
Canada Wink

Hope this doesn't get lost !
vandermolen

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2005, 12:46:19 AM »

Thanks to Jeffrey's advocacy, I've known Raid's first symphony for a couple of years. I agree that it's a major work and it dumbfounds me tha it's not better known. If Tubin is your thing, check out RAID'S FIRST SYMPHONY.

I'll make no bones about it (my French-canadian roots may be less reserved than Jeffrey's English ones! Kiss), this work is a MASTERPIECE.

No, no, I totally agree with my friend Andre (despite my British reserve), it is a masterpiece. 

Infact, I have just been enjoying the new remastered Chandos "2 for 1" CD which I strongly recommend.  It includes fine works by Eller, Part (Cantus in memory of Britten), Tormis, Lemba and Tobias.
Christo

... an opening of those magic casements ...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2007, 05:34:28 AM »

I decided to make a new start with this thread from 2005 - because:

a) I listened to his Second again, today, and found it more interesting than I remembered it - even if wel all revere him for the sake of his First (a remarkable accomplishment for a 21 year old composer);

b) I just read a review of both of his recorded symphonies on the Musicweb (http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2004/Nov04/Eller_Raid.htm) that also includes an interesting description by his own hand of the Third and Fourth.

c) Because I would also like to hear more from Artur Kapp - I only got hold of the BBC Music Magazin CD with his Second Symphony recently (coupled with a Tubin III and Pärt's Cantus), and find it actually quite good - even if it's in the obligatory 'soviet realist' style that was required from Estonian composers in those Stalinist years;

d) Because I hope that somebody could tell us more about the symphonies by their teacher - the grand old man of Estonian music - Heino Eller. I have here the score of his Third Symphony, but I'm not aware of any recording, nor even of any modern performance even. Who is?

.... '  join the dance
As it moves in perichoresis,
Turns about the abiding tree.  '  W.H. Auden
Christo

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2007, 05:55:56 AM »

There is! But it's not the same Kapp - the one in the BBC Magazine CD is actually Villem Kapp (1913-64), not to be confused with his uncle or great-uncle Artur. This Artur Kapp (1878-1952) is considered the founding father of the Estonian national school - together with Rudolf Tobias.

I would like to hear his 5 symphonies (1924-51). His large Oratorio Job (Hiob) from 1926-29 is on ERES [ercd 021] - with the Estonian National Symphony Orchestra and two choirs and a couple of soloists under Neeme Järvi. And I like it:

.... '  join the dance
robert

music penetrates the senses without words....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2007, 06:35:39 AM »

I decided to make a new start with this thread from 2005 - because:

a) I listened to his Second again, today, and found it more interesting than I remembered it - even if wel all revere him for the sake of his First (a remarkable accomplishment for a 21 year old composer);

b) I just read a review of both of his recorded symphonies on the Musicweb (http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2004/Nov04/Eller_Raid.htm) that also includes an interesting description by his own hand of the Third and Fourth.

c) Because I would also like to hear more from Artur Kapp - I only got hold of the BBC Music Magazin CD with his Second Symphony recently (coupled with a Tubin III and Pärt's Cantus), and find it actually quite good - even if it's in the obligatory 'soviet realist' style that was required from Estonian composers in those Stalinist years;

d) Because I hope that somebody could tell us more about the symphonies by their teacher - the grand old man of Estonian music - Heino Eller. I have here the score of his Third Symphony, but I'm not aware of any recording, nor even of any modern performance even. Who is?

I have not heard the third but what I can list for you.
The Heino Eller School Finlandia 3984-21448-2
Eller. Sinfonietta
Sumera, come cercando
Part Silouans song
Raats. Chamber Concerto I
Tuur. Passion
Tubin, Music for Strings

Calls in the Night Melodiya D-026509
A Symphonic Burlesque,  Melodiya C1024427 003
Elegy, A Homeland Tune, Dawn,  Chandos 8525

I do not know if the Melodyia discs are available....
Christo

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2007, 06:58:38 AM »

I have not heard the third but what I can list for you.
The Heino Eller School Finlandia 3984-21448-2
Eller. Sinfonietta
Sumera, come cercando
Part Silouans song
Raats. Chamber Concerto I
Tuur. Passion
Tubin, Music for Strings

Calls in the Night Melodiya D-026509
A Symphonic Burlesque,  Melodiya C1024427 003
Elegy, A Homeland Tune, Dawn,  Chandos 8525

I do not know if the Melodyia discs are available....

Funny - I was just listening to Eller's Sinfonietta and the first CD you mention. The Sinfonietta is a late work (1965) and both simple and moving - one of the reasons why I'm curious about his 'real' symphonies.

I don't have the Melodiya, but have an Estonian CD (Forte label) with four of Eller's symphonic poems from 1917-1926 (Koit, Videvik, Viirastused, and Varjus ja Päikesepaistel), coupled with two of his best known pieces, the Elegy and the Five Pieces for String Orchestra, that are also te be found on the two Estonian samplers by Chandos.
              This one:
I know - but don't have - an ANTES cd with the same symphonic poems (actually: one more even), coupled with his Violin Concerto.
              This one:

And only now I suddenly remember again (after some googling) a ECM New Series release that I should look after very soon:

.... '  join the dance
robert

music penetrates the senses without words....

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2007, 07:48:55 AM »

Funny - I was just listening to Eller's Sinfonietta and the first CD you mention. The Sinfonietta is a late work (1965) and both simple and moving - one of the reasons why I'm curious about his 'real' symphonies.

I don't have the Melodiya, but have an Estonian CD (Forte label) with four of Eller's symphonic poems from 1917-1926 (Koit, Videvik, Viirastused, and Varjus ja Päikesepaistel), coupled with two of his best known pieces, the Elegy and the Five Pieces for String Orchestra, that are also te be found on the two Estonian samplers by Chandos.
              This one:
I know - but don't have - an ANTES cd with the same symphonic poems (actually: one more even), coupled with his Violin Concerto.
              This one:

And only now I suddenly remember again (after some googling) a ECM New Series release that I should look after very soon:

Thanks for this information....I have a couple of excellent Antes discs by Tamberg and Eespere...I have been a ware of the Eller for a long time I just never got around to ordering it....I was not aware of the ECM but, its always been one of my favorite labels for Classical and Jazz.....I have been into Estonia composers for quite a long time.....I was really shocked when Sumera died. He was so young and had so much potential.....
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: