GMG Classical Music Forum
November 21, 2017, 06:52:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  

This forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the new forum

Read the reasons why here.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Carter Corner II  (Read 16707 times)
Joe Barron

Remembering Mr. Ives

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 15, 2007, 06:57:56 AM »

Maybe it is a new policy since you last came up, Joe -- if you buy a ticket to another performance of a premiere, the second is at half price.

Don't put me on, Karl.

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
      "Yes, Lord," he said, "you know that I love you."
      Jesus said, "Read my blog."
k a rl h e nn i ng
A Composer, and You Are Not Going to Forget It

et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2007, 07:05:19 AM »

Don't put me on, Karl.

Well, they really did that in the '05-'06 season.  I just spoke to someone, and that is not the case this year.

Karl Henning
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
Published @ http://www.luxnova.com/
"I drink so that I may suffer twice as much." -- Marmeladov in Crime & Punishment
guido

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2007, 07:08:08 AM »

Excellent. Except I live over the other side of the pond. Hopefully it'll come here at some point... apparently there was a pirate recording of the Cello Concerto floating about for years with Yo-Yo Ma, before the premiere official recording (brilliantly played by Sherry). I'd still like to hear the Ma version...

Which segment of the second figment are you referring to specifically Joe? I think on the whole I prefer the first figment - seems more satisfying somehow...

Vagueness is at times an indication of nearness to a perfect truth.

Charles Ives
guido

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2007, 07:18:42 AM »

I'm always surprised at the sheer brilliance of Symphonia: sum fluxae pretium spei. Love that piece!

Charles Ives
bhodges

"Construction II" (1963) by Joseph Cornell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2007, 07:25:40 AM »

I'm always surprised at the sheer brilliance of Symphonia: sum fluxae pretium spei. Love that piece!

That's one I don't know at all.  Feel free to go on about why you like it, if you want!  Cheesy

--Bruce

"Why tonality as such should be thrown out for good I can't see.  Why it should always be present I can't see."
          -- Charles Ives, Essays

Monotonous Forest
Joe Barron

Remembering Mr. Ives

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2007, 07:51:16 AM »

Excellent. Except I live over the other side of the pond. Hopefully it'll come here at some point...

Oh, without a doubt. In general, I think, Carter's music is more performed more widely over there than it is here, and I'm sure Levine will eventually travel with the piece. Meantime, there are a lot European performances of Mr. Carter's other music scheduled for next year. Check www.boosey.com, go to the Carter page and click on performances.

Then again, you could plan a trip to Boston.  Wink

The Philadelphia Orchestra will mark Leonard Bernstein's 90th birthday next season with all three of his symphonies, plus selections from On the Town and West Side Story. Naturally, not a peep about Carter.

The part of Figment No. 1 that's been sticking in my head is the hymnlike section about a third of the way through. You can't miss it. It's the part where the cello suddenly slows down and becomes very contemplative.

When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?"
guido

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2007, 07:55:03 AM »

Well for a start its sonically gorgeous - the slow movement especially has some of the most frankly beautiful writing by him that I have heard. In a way the piece seems like a summing up of his late style. Every detail seem to be perfectly in its place, every shimmering mood so expertly thought out. Its huge, especially by Carter's standards: movement timings 16:25, 17:30, 11:38, but needless to say it hangs together very well.

http://www.amazon.com/Elliott-Carter-Symphonia-Clarinet-Concerto/dp/B00000JSAJ/ref=sr_1_2/104-9064644-8866306?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1173909082&sr=8-2

Many good views there.

I'm sure Joe feels the same way about its quality and will be able to speak more eloquently about it.

Charles Ives
guido

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 15, 2007, 07:56:52 AM »

Which figment do you mean, 1 or 2?

Charles Ives
Joe Barron

Remembering Mr. Ives

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2007, 07:57:16 AM »

I'm sure Joe feels the same way about its quality and will be able to speak more eloquently about it.

Truth is, Guido, I'm still coming to terms with the piece. I'd like to read more about it from you.

Joe Barron

Remembering Mr. Ives

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2007, 08:01:41 AM »

Which figment do you mean, 1 or 2?

No. 2, Remembering Mr. Ives. (See my avatar.) The section is marked "hymlike" in the score, and recalls Ives's more religious side. In "Labyrinth's of Time," there's a scene in which Sherry and Mr. Carter are going rehearsing the piece, and we see Mr. Carter decide to add the direction in English, rather than his customary Italian, because, he says, the word is closer to Ives's spirit.

Joe Barron

Remembering Mr. Ives

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2007, 07:54:26 AM »

Update: Soloist in the new concerto will be for the BSO's principal horn James Sommerville

k a rl h e nn i ng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2007, 09:42:25 PM »

Update: Soloist in the new concerto will be for the BSO's principal horn James Sommerville

He is no slouch, you know.

Karl Henning
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
"I drink so that I may suffer twice as much." -- Marmeladov in Crime & Punishment
Joe Barron

Remembering Mr. Ives

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2007, 03:10:06 AM »

He is no slouch, you know.
Did I say he was? Did I even imply he was? I figured anyone who can make it to the first chair of the BSO is no slouch.  Wink

k a rl h e nn i ng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2007, 03:35:20 AM »

Did I say he was? Did I even imply he was?

No, and no, of course.

Karl Henning
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: