GMG Classical Music Forum
December 20, 2014, 06:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  

This forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the new forum

Read the reasons why here.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ralph Vaughan Williams  (Read 42755 times)
CyberStryke21
« Reply #390 on: February 05, 2006, 06:33:00 AM »

For all I know it could've been an aggravating hang nail or perhaps a toothache to inspire such anger.

Man, I wonder what he would've produced if he broke his arm laugh
vandermolen

"Do that which consists of no action" (Lao Tse)

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: February 06, 2006, 07:34:21 AM »

Does anyone know the proper pronunciation of "Rhosymedre", one of the melodies Vaughan Williams used for his Three Preludes on Welsh Hymn Tunes for Organ?

Extensive research (ie looked up on Google!) suggests either:

"Rose-e-med-ree" or "Rushmeadreh"

I wanted some VW played at my wedding and this was the piece chosen (played on church organ)
Szykneij

Tony from Massachusetts

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: February 07, 2006, 04:42:34 AM »

I wanted some VW played at my wedding and this was the piece chosen (played on church organ)

Thanks! It's a beautiful piece. I'm rehearsing an orchestral arrangement which can be performed with the organ arrangement as accompaniment.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~Henry David Thoreau
vandermolen

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: February 07, 2006, 06:28:41 PM »

Thanks! It's a beautiful piece. I'm rehearsing an orchestral arrangement which can be performed with the organ arrangement as accompaniment.

Yes, it meant a lot to me to have some VW played at my wedding. The organist was very kind in hunting around until she came up with this.  Yes, it is a lovely piece and I have an organ only and with orch versions on CD.  Best of luck with your performance.  How nice that you are performing it.
k a rl h e nn i ng
A Composer, and You Are Not Going to Forget It

et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: February 10, 2006, 10:22:01 AM »

Down Ampney is my favorite RVW hymntune, I think.

Karl Henning
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
Published @ http://www.luxnova.com/
"I drink so that I may suffer twice as much." -- Marmeladov in Crime & Punishment
Calaf
« Reply #395 on: February 10, 2006, 02:15:54 PM »

I guess that's how it would be for an anglophone (and probably how VW himself would have pronounced it). But it seems to be a Welsh name. Do the Welsh pronounce differently?
vandermolen

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: February 10, 2006, 11:28:39 PM »

I guess that's how it would be for an anglophone (and probably how VW himself would have pronounced it). But it seems to be a Welsh name. Do the Welsh pronounce differently?

I have a feeling that the first pronunciation that I found might be the English one and the second one the Welsh.  Smiley
Calaf
« Reply #397 on: February 11, 2006, 01:43:53 PM »

I found it very strange that it should be a Welsh name. Just looking at it brings greek roots to mind.
drogulus

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 17, 2006, 03:17:48 PM »

I've been thinking about it, and I have decided that Vaughan Williams is my favorite composer. I don't want to have a favorite, but it just seems I do. Other candidates would be Mahler, Elgar, Finzi, Berlioz, and Hindemith. But Vaughan Williams is out front, which is quite something, because he was the first composer I listened to, back in 1962. There is something satisfying about your first great enthusiasm being a lifelong one, even though you have changed so much. I've learned so much about music, but it hasn't spoiled my appreciation for the composers I was introduced to so long ago.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
k a rl h e nn i ng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #399 on: February 17, 2006, 11:10:55 PM »

I've been thinking about it, and I have decided that Vaughan Williams is my favorite composer. I don't want to have a favorite, but it just seems I do.

Some things happen, apart from the Intellect, apart from the intellectual component of the Will, don't they? :-)

Karl Henning
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
"I drink so that I may suffer twice as much." -- Marmeladov in Crime & Punishment
drogulus

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 18, 2006, 08:58:09 AM »

Some things happen, apart from the Intellect, apart from the intellectual component of the Will, don't they? :-)

Nothing is apart from anything else when it's happening. Intellect, Will, and other capitalized notions are post facto analytic categories. I suppose I should say that I didn't decide RVW was my favorite, but I decided it regardless. I trust that is sufficiently obscure. Smiley

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
k a rl h e nn i ng

View Profile WWW
« Reply #401 on: February 18, 2006, 11:25:26 AM »

Say, are those your birds, Ernie?

Karl Henning
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
CyberStryke21
« Reply #402 on: February 18, 2006, 06:28:47 PM »

I've been thinking about it, and I have decided that Vaughan Williams is my favorite composer. I don't want to have a favorite, but it just seems I do. Other candidates would be Mahler, Elgar, Finzi, Berlioz, and Hindemith. But Vaughan Williams is out front, which is quite something, because he was the first composer I listened to, back in 1962. There is something satisfying about your first great enthusiasm being a lifelong one, even though you have changed so much. I've learned so much about music, but it hasn't spoiled my appreciation for the composers I was introduced to so long ago.

Vaughan-Williams is no longer my hands down No. 1 composer, but he is still one of my favorites, and has been special to me since being introduced to him three years ago. Vaughan-Williams is also an exception in my library - every other composer I like, I like as a result of playing his music, and coming to understand him through the rehearsal and performance process. While it is true that I played the Tallis Fantasia a few years ago, I didn't really pay much attention to it, due to a variety of circumstances, and I actually let him sit for about a year before picking him back up. Vaughan-Williams is also special to me because as opposed to Beethoven or Shostakovich, there was no hands down "if you like [fill-in-the-blank], you HAVE to hear this!" Exploring Vaughan-Williams was my own process, and I have not been disappointed with a single purchase (except for the Sea Symphony, but that's because they cut a four-movement symphony into about 20 tracks on the disc Angry). I've always been drawn to his music, and it never disappoints.
drogulus

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2006, 06:26:23 AM »

Say, are those your birds, Ernie?

No, they're just cool Australian birds of some sort.

In my favorites post, I didn't mention the 3 "Bs", mostly because they are universal in a way my personal choices are not. I don't expect everyone to like or even be familiar with the ones I named. There is more great music than a lifetimes study can absorb.

DavidRoss

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2006, 06:49:08 AM »

I am surprised, but I like knowing this about you, Ernie.  It makes my heart smile.  BTW, RVW is one of my faves, too--as are all the others mentioned except Finzi, of whom I've heard very little (only the Naxos disc with the cello cto).  What else might you recommend?

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is. - Winston Churchill
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: