GMG Classical Music Forum
April 23, 2014, 10:18:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Members Login Register  

This forum is now a read-only archive.

Click here for the new forum

Read the reasons why here.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ralph Vaughan Williams  (Read 36354 times)
drogulus

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: February 20, 2006, 01:52:43 AM »

BTW, RVW is one of my faves, too--as are all the others mentioned except Finzi, of whom I've heard very little (only the Naxos disc with the cello cto).  What else might you recommend?

Here are 2 discs you might check out. They are really collections with an outstanding assortment of works by British composers. The first one is pretty famous on this board:

I count Dies Natalis as among the most beautiful works composed in the 20th century, but get it for Holst and VW as well. This really should be a GROC, because it actually is one.  Smiley

Here's the 2nd one:

Lo, The Full, Final Sacrifice is the one you should hear. But it's all good, especially RVWs Mass in G minor, though the performance isn't going to please everyone. Amazon has both discs here.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.2) Gecko/20070219 Firefox/2.0.0.2
Szykneij

Tony from Massachusetts

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 20, 2006, 02:39:33 AM »

I guess that's how it would be for an anglophone (and probably how VW himself would have pronounced it). But it seems to be a Welsh name. Do the Welsh pronounce differently?

I have a feeling that the first pronunciation that I found might be the English one and the second one the Welsh.  Smiley

I found it very strange that it should be a Welsh name. Just looking at it brings greek roots to mind.

Ah well, no matter anyway. I decided to shelve "Rhosymedre" until Fall and perform Verdi's "Grand March from Aida" in the Spring instead. That one I can pronounce! Thanks for your help, though.

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~Henry David Thoreau
Lethe
HaydnFan

Meow

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: April 04, 2007, 04:42:31 PM »

Shame to lose this big old thread - thought it best that I post this here. From Wikipedia:

"With the USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra [Gennady Rozhdestvensky] recorded all the symphonies of Shostakovich, Glazunov, Bruckner, Schnittke, Honegger, and Vaughan Williams."

Has anyone here heard any of these? I must admit that I am a little tired of hearing Anglophone takes on the works...

PefectWagnerite

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: April 05, 2007, 12:05:12 AM »

Shame to lose this big old thread - thought it best that I post this here. From Wikipedia:

"With the USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra [Gennady Rozhdestvensky] recorded all the symphonies of Shostakovich, Glazunov, Bruckner, Schnittke, Honegger, and Vaughan Williams."

Has anyone here heard any of these? I must admit that I am a little tired of hearing Anglophone takes on the works...

I have heard some of the USSR Ministry of Culture Symphony Orchestra [Gennady Rozhdestvensky] playing Bruckner (you can get them at BRO under the Russian Revelations label for about $3 or $4 per disc). There is nothing shocking other than the fact that the horns often couldn't play in tune and the only dynamics they observe are mezzo-forte, or the fact that the trumpets are pretty shrill. Other than that you pretty much get your garden-variety Bruckner. Don't know about the other composers, I have some DSCH recordings with the same group that I haven't gotten to yet.
k a rl h e nn i ng
A Composer, and You Are Not Going to Forget It

et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #409 on: April 05, 2007, 12:13:54 AM »

Truly, the brass can be a bitter pill in most of the historic Russian recordings.  And how can one's ears 'overlook' that awful tone, when it is the dominant feature of so many climactic moments?

Karl Henning
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://members.tripod.com/~Karl_P_Henning/
Published @ http://www.luxnova.com/
"I drink so that I may suffer twice as much." -- Marmeladov in Crime & Punishment
PefectWagnerite

I would be a llama

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: April 05, 2007, 01:04:38 AM »

Truly, the brass can be a bitter pill in most of the historic Russian recordings.  And how can one's ears 'overlook' that awful tone, when it is the dominant feature of so many climactic moments?

Except a lot of these Russian Revelation recordings are made in the 1980's, which makes them not only un-historic but un-historical as well.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: