Classical stupidities

Started by Diletante, November 24, 2008, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diletante

Hi there.

Maybe you remember the time when you were new to classical music and had all these stupid ideas about it. Care to share them?

I remember that in my first concert (some months ago), when the orchestra started tuning (or whatever the word is), I actually thought they had started playing! I remember I thought: "wow, that doesn't sound good...". Then, after a while they stopped, the conductor walked in and I felt incredibly stupid.

But, hey, I didn't applaude between the movements!  :)
Orgullosamente diletante.

Kullervo

I used to think that composers writing tonal music in the 20th Century were "regressive".  ::)

Opus106

I thought I'd never get Mahler. This was true till about a few weeks ago. The stupid thing about that was, I'd never listened to much of the symphonies. The sixth, only a couple of times, and that too from somewhere in the middle.
Regards,
Navneeth

Ugh!

I thought there was nothing more to Stravinsky than Rite  $:)

The new erato

Quote from: Ugh! on November 24, 2008, 06:05:19 AM
I thought there was nothing more to Stravinsky than Rite  $:)
and you found out you were wrong instead of rite?

Kullervo

You might even say it's sacre-legious.

not edward

I first heard the suites from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet in the late '80s and they did nothing for me then....and then I finally listened to the whole ballet this year.

If there's a stupid competition, I win! ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

J.Z. Herrenberg

This blinkered Wagnerian ignored (most of) Schumann's music until 2002 (age 41)...
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Ten thumbs

I came straight out of nursery rhymes and thought Kuhlau a great master. My horizons were first stretched by a Myra Hess piano album. I wish I still had it.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

Novi

I thought Bach's WTC was scored for keyboard and chorus. Seriously :-[. I bought the Gould recording and remembering telling my sister that I didn't like it because there were monks chanting in the background or something.
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

some guy

Quote from: Corey on November 24, 2008, 05:28:33 AM
I used to think that composers writing tonal music in the 20th Century were "regressive".  ::)

Hahahaha, now there's funny.

rappy

I used to think that R. Strauss was not the greatest genius there has ever been.

0:)

When I was 14, I registered at GMG and asked why Romantic composers didn't write as many symphonies as Haydn and Mozart did.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Novi on November 24, 2008, 08:12:54 AM
I thought Bach's WTC was scored for keyboard and chorus. Seriously :-[. I bought the Gould recording and remembering telling my sister that I didn't like it because there were monks chanting in the background or something.

I think that's funny, too.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Kullervo

Quote from: some guy on November 24, 2008, 08:43:05 AM
Hahahaha, now there's funny.

Yes, especially if you look at my current favorites (Sibelius, Nielsen, Delius, Honegger). :D

The sad thing is that some people haven't grown out of it (cf. the Schonberg on Sibelius thread :o)!

ChamberNut

I never ever thought I could listen and enjoy Wagner.  I was wrong.  :)

Also didn't think I could ever enjoy Bartok's quartets.  Wrong again.  :)

ChamberNut

Here's another stupidity.

At first, I thought Schubert's Symphony No. 8 "Unfinished" was just the nickname of the symphony.   :P :-[

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 24, 2008, 10:22:27 AM
At first, I thought Schubert's Symphony No. 8 "Unfinished" was just the nickname of the symphony.   :P :-[

Isn't it?
Regards,
Navneeth

ChamberNut

Quote from: opus67 on November 24, 2008, 10:28:19 AM
Isn't it?

What I meant was that if Schubert had written S# 8 to it's completion (ie. 4 standard movements), would he have named it "Unfinished"?   :D

What do you mean, who's on first?

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 24, 2008, 10:37:07 AM
What I meant was that if Schubert had written S# 8 to it's completion (ie. 4 standard movements), would he have named it "Unfinished"?   :D

Ah...

What do you mean, who's on first?
Was that a pop. culture reference? Sorry, I don't get it. :(
Regards,
Navneeth

Keemun

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven