Classical stupidities

Started by Diletante, November 24, 2008, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Henritus on January 06, 2009, 03:57:26 PM
- I had a haydn violin concerto album by Grumiaux and Raymond Leppard, and I was genuinly concerned if Leppard was making enough money to buy food since I thought he was only good enough for conducting orchestral accompaniment.

That one made me laugh. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Diletante

Oh dear. Today I was talking with this guy who just wasn't very bright. Besides, he was completely ignorant about classical music, even more than the regular person. I mean, every person I've ever mentioned Tchaikovsky to had at least heard his name. This guy had no friggin' clue. Some conversations we had:

Me: So, do you read?
Guy: Erm... No, not really.
Me: Really? Why?
Guy: Well, I don't have any books.

Me: (puts on a familiar moment of the 4th movement of LvB's 9th) So, this is Beethoven.
Guy: Oh yeah, that sounds familiar! (pause) Y'know, I once saw a video of Beethoven with the, you know, stick.
Me: Huh? A video of Beethoven conducting?
Guy: Yeah! He had this stick in one hand and made gestures with the other. My uncle has this video!

Guy: (the singing starts "Oh Freunde! Nicht diese Töne!") Hey, that's Beethoven singing, right?

Me: (puts on the first movement of Mozart's 40th) So, this is Mozart. Do you recognize it?
Guy: Oh yeah!
Me: Nice. Do you know where Mozart was from?
Guy: Germany? Italy?
Me: No, he was Austrian.
Guy: Ah, from Australia!
Me: No, from Austria.
Guy: Australia?
Me: No, Austria!
Guy: (blank stare) Austria? Australia? What's the difference?

When he said "that's Beethoven singing" I could barely hold my laughter and my face contorted into a grimace that made him ask: "is something wrong?". I laughed and told him: "oh, it's just that classical music makes me so happy!"  :D

Orgullosamente diletante.

Florestan

Quote from: tanuki on July 26, 2009, 10:16:19 PM
Me: So, do you read?
Guy: Erm... No, not really.
Me: Really? Why?
Guy: Well, I don't have any books.

Me: (puts on a familiar moment of the 4th movement of LvB's 9th) So, this is Beethoven.
Guy: Oh yeah, that sounds familiar! (pause) Y'know, I once saw a video of Beethoven with the, you know, stick.
Me: Huh? A video of Beethoven conducting?
Guy: Yeah! He had this stick in one hand and made gestures with the other. My uncle has this video!

Guy: (the singing starts "Oh Freunde! Nicht diese Töne!") Hey, that's Beethoven singing, right?

Me: (puts on the first movement of Mozart's 40th) So, this is Mozart. Do you recognize it?
Guy: Oh yeah!
Me: Nice. Do you know where Mozart was from?
Guy: Germany? Italy?
Me: No, he was Austrian.
Guy: Ah, from Australia!
Me: No, from Austria.
Guy: Australia?
Me: No, Austria!
Guy: (blank stare) Austria? Australia? What's the difference?

Priceless gems, all of them! Thanks for sharing!  :D :D :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

DFO

Say, Tanuki; wasn't that guy an Argentinian public official? It sounds
like one of them.

Papy Oli

Believing that CD expenses in that field would remain reasonably within budget, and that owning multiple recordings of a single piece was nonsense....

....stupid boy.... ;D
Olivier

Dana

I bought a very bad bargain recording of the Faure Requiem, then wondered why the music was so bad. Honestly, why did this Faure hack bother writing music at all?

Me: Hey, do you know if Leonard Rose is still alive?
Violinist: You tell me, you're the violist.
Me: (said with much scorn, as though everyone knew this) Leonard Rose is a cellist!
Violinist: Oh...

Harpo

Quote from: Dana on July 28, 2009, 12:20:32 AM
I bought a very bad bargain recording of the Faure Requiem, then wondered why the music was so bad. Honestly, why did this Faure hack bother writing music at all?

I LOVE the Faure Requiem! I sang some of his art songs in college and they were beautiful too. I tried some of his piano pieces but they were too hard and probably not as good as the vocal music.
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Harpo

When I was 16, I had just come home from music camp and felt very cultured. To show off, I played a 33 1/3 rpm record of some classical pieces for a boy who had come to visit. The first was a Scherzo. He said it sounded awfully fast and I said that scherzo meant lively. I announced that the next piece was an operatic aria by Jussi Bjoerling (a man). When it came on, Mr. Bjoerling sounded like Alvin the chipmunk. I had been playing the record at the wrong speed! Blush.

I sent this story to a teen magazine for their "My Most Embarrassing Experiences" column. They printed it and gave me $10.

Air

QuoteThis blinkered Wagnerian ignored (most of) Schumann's music until 2002 (age 41)...

Ditto, except I didn't start listening to much Schumann until I was forced to play Papillons two years ago.... I've been a loyal disciple ever since.  I wonder what this is with people and Schumann?
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

Florestan

Quote from: Harpo on July 28, 2009, 05:34:40 PM
I tried some of his piano pieces but they were too hard and probably not as good as the vocal music.

You're quite wrong on that, Faure's piano music is exquisite.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Harpo

Quote from: Florestan on July 29, 2009, 11:39:45 PM
You're quite wrong on that, Faure's piano music is exquisite.

You're probably right, since I usually like Faure. I may have just given up playing them because they were hard. We may have some Faure piano recordings in our CD collection--if so, I will listen.

Chaszz

Quote from: The Six on November 24, 2008, 08:43:25 PM
Doesn't primitivism show the opposite, that tonality is a sophisticated system, and not something that comes naturally to humans?

I understand from reading about the history of Western harmony that the addition of the third to the major triad was a daring and somewhat recent invention. Prior to that it was considered a dissonant relationship. Before I read that it would have seemed to me that the third was as natural in relation to the first as is the fifth. So the one-three at least is not "natural" to the human ear in all cultures and times, even though the one-five probably more or less is. And to me that was a big surprise. The one-three-five is perhaps the granddaddy progenitor of what we call tonal music.

not edward

Quote from: Dana on July 28, 2009, 12:20:32 AM
Fortunately I bought the EMI box of the chamber music before the Requiem, which I still dislike.

The chamber music box, though.... wonderful.

My most stupid moments have probably been my "modern music sucks" phase and then its successor, the "conservative 20th century music sucks" phase. Fortunately, both are long since over now.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

71 dB

Fauré is first rate composer. His chamber music is top quality, the Requiem is one of the most beautiful classical compositions ever and his piano music is wonderful.

0:)

I had really stupid opinions of classical music before I "found" it, like this: How can I enjoy music composed by simple people who didn't even have electricity?  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Diletante

About two years ago I thought Shostakovich was an "obscure" composer (i.e. not well-known).
Orgullosamente diletante.

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on July 31, 2009, 01:19:52 PM
Fauré is first rate composer. His chamber music is top quality, the Requiem is one of the most beautiful classical compositions ever and his piano music is wonderful.

At last we agree on something!  :)

71 dB

Quote from: Florestan on August 01, 2009, 04:06:12 AM
At last we agree on something!  :)

I'm sure we agree about many things, you just remember when we don't.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Florestan

Quote from: 71 dB on August 01, 2009, 04:36:51 AM
I'm sure we agree about many things, you just remember when we don't.  ;)

0:)

monafam

Quote from: papy on July 27, 2009, 12:36:23 PM
...and that owning multiple recordings of a single piece was nonsense....

....stupid boy.... ;D

I'm still at this point in my listening career.   :D   

I feel like 75% of my posts might fall in this topic at times, especially if I go out on a limb on something.  As a result, you will see a lot more questions than answers from me.....

Dana

I think someone around here told a story about their acquaintance saying "I know Beethoven wrote the 9th Symphony... Who wrote the rest of them?!" :D