Classical stupidities

Started by Diletante, November 24, 2008, 05:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anglican Scholar

This is about classical stupidities, right? Doesn't have to be limited to music? My stupidity involves Ben Nicholson, who is classical in a way. It was in a museum, either Dallas or Fort Worth. I was looking at an object by Nicholson. It was framed in glass, all white, with a cube or two carved inside the flat surface, and a cube or two in relief. My travel companion, who was rather uneducated and who had wandered off, walks back hesitantly toward me and the Nicholson object, looking at it with suspicion. I tell her: "well, this is by Ben Nicholson." She stops, still looking at it with that air of suspicion, and then she asks: "where is the painting?"

At least, she didn't ask to be refunded the cost of the museum ticket.

Moonfish

*this old thread deserves a bump - some very funny stories in this one*

:laugh: :laugh:
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

RebLem

Quote from: marvinbrown on November 27, 2008, 06:06:56 AM

At one point in the past I stupidly went looking for complete recordings of Schubert's 7th symphony  ::)  ::)!  There is a 6th Symphony for Schubert and the 8th is the "Unfinished" so logic says that there must be a 7th  ??? ??? No??  Maybe they should call that "The Missing" symphony  ::) ::) ::)!!!!!!  marvin 

Schubert wrote a 7th symphony in piano sketch but he never orchestrated it.  You will find a modern orchestration of it in Marriner's complete set of the symphonies.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

RebLem

When I first started collecting in earnest in the 1970's, I thought buying complete opera recordings was stupid, and I just bought highlights recordings of operas.  That only lasted about 6 months.
"Don't drink and drive; you might spill it."--J. Eugene Baker, aka my late father.

vandermolen

My brother told me that he started enthusiastically applauding at the end of a work only to realise that it wasn't the end.

I told him that once he had started, to avoid the humiliating of stopping he should have kept going until thrown out.

Although not at a concert I've always enjoyed this experience of my father.

Sitting at the end of a row at the cinema in the days when everyone stood for the National Anthem before the film he got up for it, but as his legs had been crossed, one leg was 'dead' - he therefore fell over and rolled down the steps during the playing of the National Anthem - very disrespectful of him!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

NikF

Quote from: vandermolen on June 03, 2018, 10:54:04 PM
My brother told me that he started enthusiastically applauding at the end of a work only to realise that it wasn't the end.

I told him that once he had started, to avoid the humiliating of stopping he should have kept going until thrown out.

That's my way of thinking.  8)

Also -

Although not at a concert I've always enjoyed this experience of my father.

Sitting at the end of a row at the cinema in the days when everyone stood for the National Anthem before the film he got up for it, but as his legs had been crossed, one leg was 'dead' - he therefore fell over and rolled down the steps during the playing of the National Anthem - very disrespectful of him!

Ah, so that sort of mishap is inherited? Good stuff.   ;D

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

ShineyMcShineShine

When I was a little kid I thought being a conductor was the easiest job in the world because all you had to do was stand there and wave a stick.