Arturo Marquez

Started by Ciel_Rouge, November 27, 2008, 06:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciel_Rouge

arkiv

The orchestra is from Venezuela, tremendous flavour for the Danzón.

Diletante

Oh, yes, I love that piece. At times it sounds exactly like an orchestrated salsa (or similar) song and is extremely danceable! I just got this CD "El Danzón según Márquez", which has several of his danzones, but I haven't listened to it yet.
Orgullosamente diletante.

jowcol

I'm listening to that collection right now, and am enjoying it a lot.  I'm getting a bit of a Piazzollla vibe from it.  To date, I've always found the Piazzolla orchestral sets lacking compared the small groups, but Marquez seems to make it work much better.

The Simon Bolivar Youth Orchestra from Venezuela (the youtube clip) has an album out ("Fiesta"-- a lame name given the sophistication of its contents) which includes Danzon #2 by Marquez,  Revuelta's Sensemaya, and a lot of other choice confections if you like this sort of thing.  I'm pretty impressed by all of the Venezuelan musicians I've met-- their system is very effective!
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

secondwind

Thanks for posting that link to the Danzon #2 performance.  It brought back very happy memories. I've had the opportunity to play that piece with a community orchestra several times.  We didn't have the numbers that the Simon Bolivar Orchestra has (more on that later), but we didn't do too badly for a bunch of Gringos.  Of all of Marquez's Danzons, that is my favorite to date.  I heard Marquez talk about his Danzons when he was here a few years ago.  He made it clear that not only is the Danzon a dance, it's a very sexy dance, so the music should convey all the sensuality and passion of a very hot dance date. 

So what about that Simon Bolivar Orchestra?  I guess that's what a national commitment to music education gets you.  Sure wish we had that. 

jowcol

Okay-- wandering a bit off topic, but here is a decent writeup about the Venezuelan system.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/04/simon-bolivar-youth-orchestra

I know that my son's Suzuki teacher was raised in the system, and is really passionately dedicated to it.  As a non-profit (and, to be honest, money-losing venture) she gets a group of venezuelan students to come to the US every July for a modest string of concerts in the DC area. ,They are amazingly dedicated and talented.  It's sort of sad that it comes as a shock to them how little "classical music" is appreciated in the US-- even smaller orchestras draw larger crowds in Venezuela.

And now for some obligatory Marquez content-- if you live around the Washington DC area, (or will be in town the first week of July 2009 ), send me a message and I'll give you performance info.  The performances are free, and they will be doing a couple dances from Ginastera's Estancia, Danson #2 by Marquez, and they are hoping to so Sensemaya by Revueltas, which is a very fun piece. 
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington