Pawel Lukaszewski

Started by Maciek, November 28, 2008, 02:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

The recent Hyperion release of Paweł Łukaszewski's music is fetching excellent reviews (International Record Review, Gramophone and BBC Music Magazine - September issues; I haven't read any of them, though). So I thought I'd start a thread for him. His position on the Polish composer firmament is rather odd. One thing is without doubt: no composer of his ("entering middle-age") generation has as many recordings: 50 CDs featuring at least one of his pieces and 4 dedicated solely to him (and 3 cassettes too!). That is really, really impressive. No choral music festival in Poland can exist without at least one Łukaszewski composition in the program. On the other hand, he is not exactly idolized the way Kilar, Gorecki or Penderecki are. Far from it. I would even say that outside choral-aficionado circles he practically doesn't exist.

Has anyone got the Hyperion disc? I've only heard it on the radio. Would love to get it but, well, Hyperion is a label generally out of my price range, so I'll have to wait a bit for it to get cheaper (BRO etc.).

Maciek

The disc on Hyperion's site (with samples available under the noteheads and extracts from reviews given in the column on the left).

Maciek

OK, perhaps Thanksgiving weekend was not a good time... How about today then? ;D

Maciek

OK, I guess nobody cares about this :'( but for the sake of being up to date: it appears that the link to the composer's home page that I've given above might be outdated. Here's something much better looking. If you have a Windows computer, follow the links (from the first "news" item) and you'll probably be able to see videos of some of his works performed. I don't have a working Windows machine at home at the moment, so can't check.

Maciek

Hello, Maciek!

Well, hello! :D

Did you know Hyperion has released (or is about to) another Lukaszewski CD?

No, no, I didn't know that. Very interesting.

I thought so too. Well then, see you around, Maciek! :)

Bye, bye, Maciek! :)

Maciek

Worst looking CD/LP artwork inductee? ;D

(The concept, ie. cramming the painting with historical figures, may be interesting but I'm not really a fan of Duda-Gracz.)

Dundonnell

Quote from: Maciek on February 27, 2009, 12:42:34 AM
Hello, Maciek!

Do I get the impression that you were feeling a bit lonely in here, Maciek? ;D   I know the feeling :)

The recent Hyperion release of Lukaszewski's Via Crucis got a very good review in this month's 'International Record Review' from Piers Burton-Page and I am tempted by it. However, until I have sampled the two Kilar choral compositions that I have ordered, I shall hang fire.

Maciek

Hi there, Colin! Nice of you to drop by. That makes three of us.

Oh, hi Colin!

mahler10th

Quote from: Maciek on March 11, 2009, 03:09:21 AM
Hi there, Colin! Nice of you to drop by. That makes three of us.

Oh, hi Colin!

Count me in.  That's three and a half of us.
As you know, Polish composers have a way of tinkering unlawfully with my brain.
Łukaszewski is yet unfathomed, but one I will surely come to.  There's no such thing to my ears (so far) as a bad Polish composer.  A bit like their fabulous F1 driver Robert Kubica (my favourite F1 driver since he started a couple of seasons ago!).  They start - they are relentless - and  they don't stop, even when they leave the Earth...er...which is something I myself do when listening to Lutoslawski and Penderecki in particular.  Last work by Polish composer I listened to was yesterday, Szymanowski's beautiful S3.
I look forward to investigating Łukaszewski.

Maciek

Ah! The thread is alive! :D

(And I'll insist on counting you as a whole person, John. $:))

Renfield

Quote from: Maciek on February 27, 2009, 12:42:34 AM
Hello, Maciek!

I have this one! I have this one! :D ;D

When I picked up the latest IRR and Gramophone, the above was playing on the record store. And I was highly intrigued by how post-Mahlerian* I found it to sound (likely more due to my Mahler obsession than Lukaszewski), so I bought it.

I'd have broken the news earlier, if I had known it was so lonely in this thread. :P

*Post-Mahler-8th, that is. Or at least that's what it made me think of, etc.

Dundonnell

Finally got around to playing the Hyperion cd of 'Via Crucis' :)

Not the sort of Gorecki/Kilar Polish religious minimalism I was expecting. A very fine and moving piece though with a glorious climax- choir and organ celebrating the Resurrection in majestic music of great power.

Lukaszewski appears to concentrate all his efforts into choral music?

snyprrr

Maciek-
I know you weren't into those 2 Dux/Dafo SQ cds, but slowly you've been highlighting all the unknowns on those two cds.

My Dafo (w/Baird) is in storage, but I think the Luka SQ is on the one you have. In the interest of spreading the word about Luka here in the U.S., you could sell me your copy of Dafo! ;D

Maciek

He, he, he. Nope, I don't dislike it enough to get rid of it. ;D But I don't think the quartet is really all that good... >:D

snyprrr

;D ;D ;D

I really like the Zielinski? on the other Dafo disc. Yours is $28 on line,errr. Curious: does yours have a cool "open up" cd (what ARE they called?uh), or is it a normal jewel box? I like the packaging and design of mine so much, I compelled to get the other one. Compelled, haha.

Maciek

It's an ordinary jewel box, I'm afraid. Hasn't yours fallen apart a bit? In mine the plastic part got unstuck, so now I have the "CD-holder" separately... :-\

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dundonnell on May 05, 2009, 05:55:45 AM
Finally got around to playing the Hyperion cd of 'Via Crucis' :)

Not the sort of Gorecki/Kilar Polish religious minimalism I was expecting. A very fine and moving piece though with a glorious climax- choir and organ celebrating the Resurrection in majestic music of great power.

Lukaszewski appears to concentrate all his efforts into choral music?

Apparently not :) (In answer to my own question ;D)

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2009/May09/Lukaszewski_3rev.htm

These works sound very interesting! Maciek....can you provide any further info'?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Maciek