Chailly's Bruckner

Started by 12tone., May 20, 2007, 11:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12tone.

Are these recordings of Chailly's Bruckner symphonies in the same line as part of a cycle or are they all over the place in terms of date's, sound, etc?

etc, if applicable (can't find more on google).

And is this box set's recordings the same as those above? 

Sorry for the small picture.

Bruckner is God

They are the same as the ones in the box set.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Bruckner is God on May 21, 2007, 03:15:18 AM
They are the same as the ones in the box set.

And they are all over the place in terms of orchestras used - I think the Concertgebouw and Berlin RSO are two of them, might be another one in there.

Bruckner is God

The two orchestras he uses are the Concertgebouw (nos. 2,4,5,6,8 and 9) and the Deutsches Symphonie-Orchester Berlin.

bhodges

It's overall a very strong cycle -- I especially like Nos. 2, 5 and 8 -- very well played and recorded, with some interesting fillers that may not be included in the box set, like the four Wolf songs for voice and orchestra that accompany the Sixth Symphony.  My least favorite is Chailly's Fourth, that is perfectly well played but somehow doesn't hit that Bruckner "sublime" button in the way that say, Sawallisch does with the Philadelphia Orchestra in the same piece. 

--Bruce

PerfectWagnerite

#7 and #3 are wonderful. I remember #7 being a little slow but miraculously well-played. I don't remember #4 much since it has been a while since I've listened to it, but at the time I thought Sawallisch is indeed better.

AB68

The ones I like are 2 and 5. The rest of Chailly's Bruckner are not to my taste at all. My favourite Bruckner conductors are Karajan and Haitink. And of course Furtwängler.

Dancing Divertimentian

Chailly...

Bruckner...

A good combination!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach