Klaus Egge (1906-1979)

Started by vandermolen, November 29, 2008, 05:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

just Jeff

Quote from: vandermolen on December 05, 2010, 11:50:53 AM
A nostagia trip seeing this again! Thank you for posting. Philips also issued Karsten Andersen's fine Bergen performance of my favourite Egge work - the First Symphony.

And thank you for the kind words.  I came into a major 20th Century Classical collection, and not knowing that much about the modern era, I am posting in order to follow certain threads, a way to mark them as subscribed, and a way to contribute to the threads, stir up the conversation with nice graphics, as I love this stuff and the whole vinyl era. 

I have stuff for sale as well, a little less shameful self-promotion I'd like to think.
20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

springrite

Quote from: vandermolen on November 29, 2008, 05:55:09 AM
The String Quartet is about the only one of my classical CDs that my wife has enjoyed  ::)

Vanessa loves that String Quartet as well!

But right now, the string quartet is the only Egge I have in my collection. I do have the Violin Concerto, composed for Camilla Wicks and performed by her. I don't have a turntable now. But I am keeping the LP for sentimental reasons since I got it directly from the source, so to speak. A lovely work it is!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

just Jeff

Quote from: springrite on December 08, 2010, 07:20:26 AM

But right now, the string quartet is the only Egge I have in my collection.

This is the one I have in the LP collection, soon to be on CD-R.

20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

Dundonnell

Klaus Egge's Symphony No.3 "Louisville" is available for download from several sites on the net.

Just enter into Google ;D

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 19, 2011, 07:35:04 AM
Klaus Egge's Symphony No.3 "Louisville" is available for download from several sites on the net.

Thanks Colin - I have grown to like his Symphony No 2 - the end of the slow movement is beautiful.  Please let me know should you come across a download of the Gruner-Hegge, Oslo PO, HMV recording of Symphony No. 1. Many thanks.
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Quote from: Dundonnell on September 19, 2011, 07:35:04 AM

I downloaded from Amazon without difficulty. The cost was £4.99, less than the cost of a Naxos cd ;D

snyprrr

Quote from: just Jeff on December 10, 2010, 01:40:34 PM
This is the one I have in the LP collection, soon to be on CD-R.

Quote from: springrite on December 08, 2010, 07:20:26 AM

But right now, the string quartet is the only Egge I have in my collection. I do have the Violin Concerto, composed for Camilla Wicks and performed by her. I don't have a turntable now. But I am keeping the LP for sentimental reasons since I got it directly from the source, so to speak. A lovely work it is!

I have that on that great Naxos disc of 'Norwegian 20-Century String Quartets'. It's the one with the nice, and not dreary, Largo funebre. Listening now. Jeff, this one's 5:38: how does that compare with your LP? It is a perfect pastoral elegy.

That Naxos disc is recommended to most all. It's about half-and-half sweet and a little harder, with the Valen the standout.

vandermolen

In my opening posting here I'd like to say that I was quite wrong about Egge's Symphony No 2 (as mentioned above).  Although it does come from his more modernist period I've decided that it is very good and the horn theme at the end of the slow movement is very eloquent and touching. Does anyone else know this work? I still like Symphony No 1 (dedicated to the Norwegian merchant fleet sailors of World War Two) with its echoes of the sea (as in Walton's 1st Symphony, according to some), the Piano Concerto No 2 and Egge's String Quartet, but Egge's Symphony No 2 has been a fine recent discovery for me.

I look forward to hearing from the myriad Egge fans out there.  ;D
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

What do you make of the Fifth Symphony, Jeffrey?

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 18, 2012, 04:19:11 AM
What do you make of the Fifth Symphony, Jeffrey?

Don't have a copy of it Colin - what's your take on it?

Dundonnell

It can be downloaded over at UC ;D

It is Egge's most modern sounding work ;D I am afraid that I haven't taken to it yet.

vandermolen

Quote from: Dundonnell on February 18, 2012, 12:31:49 PM
It can be downloaded over at UC ;D

It is Egge's most modern sounding work ;D I am afriad that I haven't taken to it yet.

Thanks Colin - maybe I'll stick with symphonies 1 and 2  ;D

Elnimio

First symphony reminds me very much of earlier Mennin. This is a good thing.

Elnimio

By the way, there's nothing atonal about the second symphony. It's much more dissonant and perhaps acerbic than the first, but you can still easily find tonal centers.

vandermolen

Gruner-Hegge's terrific performance of Egge's Symphony No. 1 (Oslo PO - Norwegian HMV, never issued on CD) is now on You Tube.   :)
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhYSHsWmoA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D-WhYSHsWmoA

Sean

Egge recordings have eluded me up till now but I've added the Naxos First piano sonata and Second piano concerto to my listening schedule, and I can report back in a few days.

Actually a friend recommended me some Egge a few years back. I said thanks but I already know Egk's opera Der Revisor so I let it pass. Live and learn.

vandermolen

Quote from: Sean on November 02, 2013, 01:48:40 AM
Egge recordings have eluded me up till now but I've added the Naxos First piano sonata and Second piano concerto to my listening schedule, and I can report back in a few days.

Actually a friend recommended me some Egge a few years back. I said thanks but I already know Egk's opera Der Revisor so I let it pass. Live and learn.

Years ago a friend of mine visiting a record shop the USSR was delighted to find so many recordings of music by Sir Arnold Bax but then realised that 'Bax' was the Russian for 'Bach'.  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Sean on November 02, 2013, 01:48:40 AM

Both fine works.

snyprrr

vandermolen

Quote from: snyprrr on November 02, 2013, 09:47:06 AM
Oh you Egge heads!

A clever play on words for those of you quick enough to spot it.  8)

No more eggesamples of this kind of thing please as it lowers the tone.