Klaus Egge (1906-1979)

Started by vandermolen, November 29, 2008, 05:38:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2013, 06:33:14 AM
A clever play on words for those of you quick enough to spot it.  8)

No more eggesamples of this kind of thing please as it lowers the tone.
Yes, a perfect eggsample.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Today I decided to have a proper listen to Egge's Symphony No. 4 (Sinfonia sopra B.A.C.H - E.G.G.E.) from his more modernist period. I have to say that I enjoyed it much more than before. It is a dark, gritty work in one movement of just under 23 minutes. Maybe I am getting more adventurous in my musical tastes with age  8). I shall certainly be listening to it again. There are some imaginative orchestral effects incorporating the piano and a sense of urgency throughout. Symphony No. 1 remains my favourite but I have enjoyed this score.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 03, 2013, 11:47:34 AM
Today I decided to have a proper listen to Egge's Symphony No. 4 (Sinfonia sopra B.A.C.H - E.G.G.E.) from his more modernist period. I have to say that I enjoyed it much more than before. It is a dark, gritty work in one movement of just under 23 minutes. Maybe I am getting more adventurous in my musical tastes with age  8). I shall certainly be listening to it again. There are some imaginative orchestral effects incorporating the piano and a sense of urgency throughout. Symphony No. 1 remains my favourite but I have enjoyed this score.

Cool, Jeffrey. 8) If you liked it then there's a darn good chance I will! :)

vandermolen

Time to raise Egge's head again  :)
I've been enjoying a Simax CD of his chamber music. I find his style both engaging and distinctive. I also like the photo of young Egge,smiling for once, with the lion cubs.
Violin Sonata Op.3 is especially enjoyable from Egge's earlier period, as is the Trio for Violin, Piano and Cello, although I'm coming to appreciate the more modernist works as well:
[asin]B007ZDDKLQ[/asin]

cilgwyn

You'll be listening to Harrison Birtwistle,next! :)

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 17, 2018, 03:13:34 AM
You'll be listening to Harrison Birtwistle,next! :)

No, definitely not.  8)

cilgwyn

Earthdances......."a dark gritty work in one movement..." (your quote). What more could you want?!! ;D

And don't forget to wear these to enhance your Birtwistlening experience!

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 17, 2018, 05:23:29 AM
Earthdances......."a dark gritty work in one movement..." (your quote). What more could you want?!! ;D

And don't forget to wear these to enhance your Birtwistlening experience!

I will not be having a 'Birtwistlening experience' thank you very much.
8)

cilgwyn

Seriously,now;that sounds quite intriguing. I often like symphonies that incorporate a piano. Like Martinu,for example. Fricker in his First symphony.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on May 17, 2018, 08:29:19 AM
Seriously,now;that sounds quite intriguing. I often like symphonies that incorporate a piano. Like Martinu,for example. Fricker in his First symphony.
Me too - also Shostakovich's 1st Symphony and Maximilian Steinberg's 2nd Symphony (which I suspect may have influenced Shostakovich, his pupil, in it's use of the orchestral piano).

Symphonic Addict

Great was my surprise today when I found out Klaus Egge's Symphony No. 1 on Aurora label already appears on YouTube! I'll be listening to this recording soon as the another one on there has a regrettable sound quality.

There's hope that other labels upload their recordings that have been only available as a pshysical CDs or LPs.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 24, 2023, 06:19:40 PMGreat was my surprise today when I found out Klaus Egge's Symphony No. 1 on Aurora label already appears on YouTube! I'll be listening to this recording soon as the another one on there has a regrettable sound quality.

There's hope that other labels upload their recordings that have been only available as a pshysical CDs or LPs.
Despite the sound Cesar I prefer the Gruner-Hegge recording. The Karsten Andersen (the only one on CD) has oddly boxed-in sound and the moving climax of the first movement actually overloads.
Here's the earlier recording:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhYSHsWmoA&t=4s

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2023, 10:19:35 PMDespite the sound Cesar I prefer the Gruner-Hegge recording. The Karsten Andersen (the only one on CD) has oddly boxed-in sound and the moving climax of the first movement actually overloads.

It's a pity that the more committed performance of the two available doesn't have an appropriate sound quality. I haven't heard the Aurora recording yet, I'm giving it a listen the next Monday.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on November 24, 2023, 10:19:35 PMDespite the sound Cesar I prefer the Gruner-Hegge recording. The Karsten Andersen (the only one on CD) has oddly boxed-in sound and the moving climax of the first movement actually overloads.

I recall finding the sound quality in the Gruner-Hegge recording borderline unbearable for my tastes. :( I'm gonna try the Andersen recording to see if it makes the symphony convincing for me!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on November 26, 2023, 06:22:30 AMI recall finding the sound quality in the Gruner-Hegge recording borderline unbearable for my tastes. :( I'm gonna try the Andersen recording to see if it makes the symphony convincing for me!
Oddly enough I prefer it, especially as Karsten Andersen's lower-voltage performance overloads and distorts at the climax of the first movement.

Symphonic Addict

Today I finally listened to Egge's Symphony No. 1 (Aurora label) and I didn't perceive anything wrong with the recording. According to my standards, it was appropriate. As to the music, it does have a nordic feel to it, reminding me of Holmboe (without the rhythmic vitality) and Nystroem to some extent. However, I also have to say that the work didn't do much for me, it's a tad long for its material and it meandered a bit.

I also took advantage of listening to his Symphony No. 2 'Sinfonia giocosa' and it gave me a better impression because of its succinct ideas, sort of neoclassical style and piquant character.

Noam Chomsky

vandermolen

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 27, 2023, 03:40:33 PMToday I finally listened to Egge's Symphony No. 1 (Aurora label) and I didn't perceive anything wrong with the recording. According to my standards, it was appropriate. As to the music, it does have a nordic feel to it, reminding me of Holmboe (without the rhythmic vitality) and Nystroem to some extent. However, I also have to say that the work didn't do much for me, it's a tad long for its material and it meandered a bit.

I also took advantage of listening to his Symphony No. 2 'Sinfonia giocosa' and it gave me a better impression because of its succinct ideas, sort of neoclassical style and piquant character.

Glad you enjoyed it Cesar although it evidently made a greater impression on me. The slow movement of Symphony No.2 is rather moving I recall.

Symphonic Addict

Earlier today I was listening to the remaining symphonies. Once again I was considerably hooked by them:

Nos. 3 'Louisville Symphony' and 4 'Sinfonia sopra BACH-EGGE' are serious yet engrossing pieces, even more than the first two, but not for that they sounded too forbidding or challenging, or at least I didn't feel them that way. No. 3 incorporates some American touches and No. 4 contrapuntal and serial elements. It seems the Symphony No. 5 'Sinfonia dolce quasi passacaglia' remains unrecorded yet.

Noam Chomsky

springrite

I'd love th find a recording of the Violin Concerto (#1 or 2, I forgot... I think it was #2), since it was composed for and premiered (and recorded by) Camilla Wicks.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.