The Music Room > Classical Music for Beginners

Please recommend me concertos for wind instruments

(1/11) > >>

Diletante:
Good evening.

I like concertos very much, I think it's my favorite type of classical composition.

There seems to be a large repertoire for piano and violin concertos, but not so much for other instruments. So I would like you to recommend me some concertos I could check out for wind instruments.

I especially like how the oboe sounds, but feel free to recommend works for clarinet, flute, french horn, trombone or whatever.

Also, I would prefer music from Romanticism on. Feel free to recommend atonal compositions as well. And if you feel I should definitely check out a Baroque or Classical piece, please say it, too.

Thanks in advance.  :)

SonicMan46:
Boy, Tanuki - I think that you'll have to be much more specific just to limit the recommendations at first!  ;D

Wind instrument concertos and chamber music span the Baroque into the 20th century - there is just so much available - I probably own hundreds of CDs already of this music, so may be if you can 'zero in' on some of your more specific needs, we can make some recommendations -  :)

But, just to show you the 'vastness' of your request, I have the 4-CD set of Antonio Rosetti's (1750-1792) - Wind Concertos (a completely forgotten composer!) - these include oboe, clarinet, horn, & bassoon works - just wonderful!  But a small 'corner' of what I own - so, please some more specifics as to 'what' you want?  There's an abundance available -  :D

Keemun:
I don't have many recordings of concertos for wind instrument (I prefer violin, cello and piano), but I do like these:

Bach: Oboe Concerto, BWV 1059
Finzi: Clarinet Concerto, Op. 31
Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622
Mozart: Oboe Concerto in C, K314
Mozart: Horn Concertos Nos. 1-4
Strauss: Oboe Concerto in D, AV144

Diletante:

--- Quote from: SonicMan ---Boy, Tanuki - I think that you'll have to be much more specific just to limit the recommendations at first
--- End quote ---

Heh, OK, truly sorry about that. Please bear with my 'noviceness'.

How about Oboe or Horn concertos, from late romanticism or 20th century?

That'd be great.  ;)

Keemun:

--- Quote from: tanuki on December 01, 2008, 05:59:34 PM ---Heh, OK, truly sorry about that. Please bear with my 'noviceness'.

How about Oboe or Horn concertos, from late romanticism or 20th century?

That'd be great.  ;)

--- End quote ---

Well, that limits my previous recommendations to one, the Strauss Oboe Concerto.  :D  But I think you would like the Finzi Clarinet Concerto as well, it's quite good.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version