Please recommend me concertos for wind instruments

Started by Diletante, December 01, 2008, 04:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diletante

Good evening.

I like concertos very much, I think it's my favorite type of classical composition.

There seems to be a large repertoire for piano and violin concertos, but not so much for other instruments. So I would like you to recommend me some concertos I could check out for wind instruments.

I especially like how the oboe sounds, but feel free to recommend works for clarinet, flute, french horn, trombone or whatever.

Also, I would prefer music from Romanticism on. Feel free to recommend atonal compositions as well. And if you feel I should definitely check out a Baroque or Classical piece, please say it, too.

Thanks in advance.  :)

Orgullosamente diletante.

SonicMan46

Boy, Tanuki - I think that you'll have to be much more specific just to limit the recommendations at first!  ;D

Wind instrument concertos and chamber music span the Baroque into the 20th century - there is just so much available - I probably own hundreds of CDs already of this music, so may be if you can 'zero in' on some of your more specific needs, we can make some recommendations -  :)

But, just to show you the 'vastness' of your request, I have the 4-CD set of Antonio Rosetti's (1750-1792) - Wind Concertos (a completely forgotten composer!) - these include oboe, clarinet, horn, & bassoon works - just wonderful!  But a small 'corner' of what I own - so, please some more specifics as to 'what' you want?  There's an abundance available -  :D

Keemun

I don't have many recordings of concertos for wind instrument (I prefer violin, cello and piano), but I do like these:

Bach: Oboe Concerto, BWV 1059
Finzi: Clarinet Concerto, Op. 31
Mozart: Clarinet Concerto in A major, K. 622
Mozart: Oboe Concerto in C, K314
Mozart: Horn Concertos Nos. 1-4
Strauss: Oboe Concerto in D, AV144

Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Diletante

Quote from: SonicManBoy, Tanuki - I think that you'll have to be much more specific just to limit the recommendations at first

Heh, OK, truly sorry about that. Please bear with my 'noviceness'.

How about Oboe or Horn concertos, from late romanticism or 20th century?

That'd be great.  ;)

Keemun

Quote from: tanuki on December 01, 2008, 04:59:34 PM

That'd be great.  ;)

Well, that limits my previous recommendations to one, the Strauss Oboe Concerto:D  But I think you would like the Finzi Clarinet Concerto as well, it's quite good.  :)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Opus106

Strauss wrote concerti for horn as well, didn't he?

Beyond the boundary specified,

Everything by Mozart
Albinoni Op. 9 No. 2
The ones for clarinet by Weber and Crussel
Haydn's trumpet concerto

Regards,
Navneeth

SonicMan46

Quote from: tanuki on December 01, 2008, 04:59:34 PM

Well, below is just a 'starter' consideration - there are so many other considerations - I would strongly recommend exploration of the 'wind' works of the Baroque & Classical eras, and also a consideration of the 'chamber' use of these instruments - my preference is to hear these 'wind instruments' in a smaller group, but up to you - good luck in your explorations and please reply back to this thread -  :D

Arnold, Malcolm - Clarinet Concertos - King (Hyperion)
Cartellieri, Antonio - Clarinet Concertos - Klocker (MDG)
Krommer, Franz - Clarinet Concertos - Naxos
Spohr, Louis - Clarinet Concetos - Hyperion
Stamitz, Carl - Clarinet Concetos - Naxos
Strauss, Richard - Horn Concertos - EMI

Haydn & Telemann - Horn Concertos
Mozart - Clarinet & Oboe Works

Florestan

Quote from: tanuki link=topic=10059.msg251430#msg251430How about Oboe or Horn concertos, from late romanticism or 20th century?

That'd be great.  ;)

Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Daverz

Copland Clarinet Concerto

Nielsen Clarinet and Flute Concertos

Weinberg: Flute Concertos and Clarinet Concerto

Hoddinot, Doubles (oboe)

Magnus Lindberg Clarinet Concerto

Mark G. Simon

Your first stop needs to be the Flute Concerto and Clarinet Concerto of Carl Nielsen. In these works broad richly-scored romantic themes coexist with biting sarcasm and modernist melodic and harmonic formulations. Both of them are very rewarding and a lot of fun for the listener. For the soloists they're among the toughest in the repertory.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on December 02, 2008, 06:29:06 AM
Your first stop needs to be the Flute Concerto and Clarinet Concerto of Carl Nielsen. In these works broad richly-scored romantic themes coexist with biting sarcasm and modernist melodic and harmonic formulations. Both of them are very rewarding and a lot of fun for the listener. For the soloists they're among the toughest in the repertory.

Hear, hear!

Quote from: Daverz on December 02, 2008, 04:35:03 AM
Magnus Lindberg Clarinet Concerto

Excellent!

Diletante

Quote from: Florestan on December 02, 2008, 04:03:23 AM

Cool! I am just listening to that recording and it sounds great!

Thanks for the recommendations so far, everyone. I'll be checking them out one by one, slowly.

Keep them coming!  :)

Solitary Wanderer

Love this one.

When you arrive home after a particularly stressful day, pop this on for blissful recuperation  0:)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Subotnick

I see my two reccomendations have already been made. This recording of the Finzi and Copland clarinet concertos is a favourite of mine.

George MacDonald - Clarinet
Northern Sinfonia Of England
Steuart Bedford - Conductor

It also includes a delightful piece by Walter Mourant called The Pied Piper.

TTFN.
Me.

donaldopato

Weber's charming Clarinet Concerti and Concertino are always wonderful and quite tuneful.

For those wanting to explore the "depths" of the winds, there is Kalevi Aho's new Contrabassoon Concerto.
Until I get my coffee in the morning I'm a fit companion only for a sore-toothed tiger." ~Joan Crawford

david johnson

the haydn and hummel trumpet concertos.

the mozart and strauss horn concertos.

dj

Sef

Quote from: david johnson on December 03, 2008, 05:11:34 AM
the haydn and hummel trumpet concertos.

the mozart and strauss horn concertos.

dj
I once heard Hummel's Introduction, Theme and Variations for Oboe and Orchestra in Fm at a concert. Very enjoyable.
"Do you think that I could have composed what I have composed, do you think that one can write a single note with life in it if one sits there and pities oneself?"

Daverz

One work I forgot was Haydn's Sinfonia Concertante for Violin, Cello, Oboe and Bassoon.

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: donaldopato on December 03, 2008, 03:22:18 AM
Weber's charming Clarinet Concerti and Concertino are always wonderful and quite tuneful.

For those wanting to explore the "depths" of the winds, there is Kalevi Aho's new Contrabassoon Concerto.

Weber's first clarinet concerto is definitely one of the top works ever composed for a wind instrument. It has everything: virtuosity, drama, beautiful tunes and vibrant orchestral backdrop.

Surprinsingly little concertante compositions for wind instruments have been written in the Classical, Romantic and Late-Romantic eras. Nothing by Beethoven, Schubert, Schumann, Dvorak, Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Berlioz - not to mention Chopin, Liszt, Verdi, Wagner, Sibelius, etc. We have to wait for Strauss, Vaughan-Williams and Nielsen to get them reeds back to the fore. From there on (post WWI) it's been a deluge of good, very good and great works.

Dancing Divertimentian

Martinu's concerto for oboe and small orchestra (1955) is a dandy.

It's worth noting that the recording I have is a Czech production - Czech Philharmonic to be exact - which means we get the characteristic rich, tart, 'eastern' sound from the solo oboe. A particular treat.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach