Your Favorite Music/Piece for a Sunday Morning..?

Started by adamdavid80, December 03, 2008, 04:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamdavid80

What works for you?  This past Sunday, Martin Frost's Mozart Clarinet Quintet helped me start my day, and, wow...what a great way to greet the morning.  What does it for you?
Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

hornteacher

I'm usually asleep on Sunday morning.......

However you just listed one of my favorite desert island CDs.  Frost's Mozart CD is great any time of any day.

If I were awake on a Sunday morning I would probably choose Haydn's Symphony 88, Copland's Appalachian Spring (Chamber Version), Beethoven's Symphony 1 or 6, Mozart's Symphony 29, or Schubert's Trout Quintet.

Bulldog

Mozart's Mass in C minor conducted by Leppard (EMI).

bhodges

Lately Sunday morning has meant watching all the political talk shows  ;D, but I do have some "reliable weekend morning favorites." 

Pärt: Te Deum
Barber: Violin Concerto
Chopin: Nocturnes
Debussy: Images and Nocturnes
Elgar: Serenade for Strings
Walton: String Quartet

--Bruce

adamdavid80

Quote from: hornteacher on December 03, 2008, 04:46:20 PM
one of my favorite desert island CDs.  Frost's Mozart CD is great any time of any day.

Picked it up bc of your enthusiastic recommendations on the Mozart 5cds thread! Great call!

Quote from: Bulldog on December 03, 2008, 05:47:49 PM
Mozart's Mass in C minor conducted by Leppard (EMI).

Some Jew you are...   ;D

Hardly any of us expects life to be completely fair; but for Eric, it's personal.

- Karl Henning

rappy

If you listen to Beethoven's 7th with Kleiber in the morning, the day will be great whatever happens later on.

Brian

jochanaan

Several things by Messiaen fit the bill for me, including Turangalîla, The Transfiguration of our Lord Jesus Christ, Des Canyons aux Etoiles, and Éclairs sur l'Au-Delà.
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Sergeant Rock

SUNDAY BREAKFAST FOR MRS. ROCK

I wake to your singing I want
breakfast in bed! Breakfast in bed!

Two eggs! two eggs!
and liver pâté layered thick on bread!
A Mozart morning: Anne-Sophie plays the G Major
as rising shutters reveal
a titmouse hunt for a morning meal
and a cloudless sun beginning to roast
the day. The smell of coffee and toast,
the sound of eggs,
crackling and spattering in Brittany butter,
counterpoint the pizzicato of Mutter's
violin
on this lazy Sunday of culinary, and bedroom, sin.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mark G. Simon

Moldyoldie

Quote from: bhodges on December 04, 2008, 11:49:06 AM
Chopin: Nocturnes

Bingo! ;)

Also, if it's a spring or summer Sunday morning, my Delius/Beecham compilations.
"I think the problem with technology is that people use it because it's around.  That is disgusting and stupid!  Please quote me."
- Steve Reich

mozartsneighbor

As much as I love Chopin's Nocturnes or Mozart's Clarinet Quintet they really feel like evening/night music to me.
On a Sunday morning something that holds all the freshness of the possibilities of the day ahead would seem more appropriate -- like Dvorak's Serenade for Strings op. 22. The first movement especially sounds just like a sunny weekend morning to me.

Bulldog

Quote from: adamdavid80 on December 04, 2008, 02:12:35 PM
Picked it up bc of your enthusiastic recommendations on the Mozart 5cds thread! Great call!

Some Jew you are...   ;D

I'm the best kind - observant but irreverent.

c#minor

any string quartet.

String quartets are perfect for Sunday's in general.

Also i seem to gravitate to Classical period stuff too.

Keemun

Usually something baroque, especially Bach's Mass in B minor.  0:)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Ten thumbs

I couldn't stick to anything in particular. This morning, I had a cold, so I lay down and listened to Amy Beach's piano concerto.
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.

helios

Generally needs to be choral for me..... Any of Bach's choral works or the Beethoven Missa Solemnis usually works well :)

Ten thumbs

Quote from: helios on December 07, 2008, 11:09:58 PM
Generally needs to be choral for me..... Any of Bach's choral works or the Beethoven Missa Solemnis usually works well :)
Okay, so how about Busoni's piano concerto?
A day may be a destiny; for life
Lives in but little—but that little teems
With some one chance, the balance of all time:
A look—a word—and we are wholly changed.