Complete Wagner Ring tomorrow!!!

Started by 12tone., May 20, 2007, 11:10:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12tone.

Canada's CBC Radio 2 is going to broadcast Wagner's complete Ring cycle tomorrow starting from 8 am till midnight.  It's called The Ring in a Day and apparently it's going to be interruption-free.  Unreal. 

So the question remains?  How many cups of coffee will it take the average fan to make it through all four operas?

12tone.

Sorry, so the day's arn't messed up:

The 'Ring in a Day' starts Monday, May 21 at 8am.  That would be our time, so Pacific time.

The Mad Hatter

*cough*

One day?!

Good luck to you. And I hope for the singers' sake that it's not being performed live.

12tone.

I didn't make it past Das Rhinegold.  I got through those two hours and that was it.  It was pretty good though.

Besides, I would actually like to do other things today besides listen to opera.

dtwilbanks

Quote from: 12tone. on May 21, 2007, 02:47:01 PM
Besides, I would actually like to do other things today besides listen to opera.

The nerve.

;)

Novi

Quote from: 12tone. on May 21, 2007, 02:47:01 PM
I didn't make it past Das Rhinegold.  I got through those two hours and that was it.  It was pretty good though.

The coffee wasn't strong enough eh?
Durch alle Töne tönet
Im bunten Erdentraum
Ein leiser Ton gezogen
Für den der heimlich lauschet.

12tone.

Quote from: Novitiate on May 21, 2007, 02:53:39 PM
The coffee wasn't strong enough eh?

Oh, no, it wasn't that.  I had tea this morning.  Red Rose.  A little milk.  A nice sqeeze of honey.  Awesome.

I just can't sit there that long.  I'm in my room so I either sit on the floor, on my bed or on my chair.  I sat on the floor for a bit then layed down on my bed...with headphones on of course.  My parents and I had to go out for a bit and so that was it.  When we came home, my interest went down.

I turned on the radio sometime after we got home and it was the beginning of Siegfried.  I'd rather listen to something else.

max

...listening to the 2nd act of Siegfried. Started with Das Rheingold. So far the only thing I found boring, and always have, is the beginning of Das Rheingold, Alberich teased by the Rhine maidens. Anybody who says there are only 4 or 5 highlights in the Ring is a statement I would call totally, absolutely and categorically ludicrous. Needless to say, allot depends on the performance. This one isn't at all bad especially for the first Canadian production.

12tone.

Quote from: max on May 21, 2007, 04:06:19 PM
...listening to the 2nd act of Siegfried. Started with Das Rheingold. So far the only thing I found boring, and always have, is the beginning of Das Rheingold, Alberich teased by the Rhine maidens. Anybody who says there are only 4 or 5 highlights in the Ring is a statement I would call totally, absolutely and categorically ludicrous. Needless to say, allot depends on the performance. This one isn't at all bad especially for the first Canadian production.

Are you in Canada?

I for one like the opening to D.R.  The prelude is fantastic.  The rest is good :)

max

Quote from: 12tone. on May 21, 2007, 04:18:52 PM
Are you in Canada?

I for one like the opening to D.R.  The prelude is fantastic.  The rest is good :)
I am in Canada one without a current passport to the Metropolitan but that too can change. Actually where I come from is much, much closer to Bayreuth than any destination in North America.

You're right about the prelude but to me the real Ring commences with Wotan's awakening in scene 2 of Das Rheingold. The rest is nothing less than great. The entire 3rd act of Siegfried is a highlight in itself and that's only one example!

Heather Harrison

The Ring in a day...  it would be difficult to get through that.  However, I have considered the possibility and I might attempt it eventually.  Since it is essentially one very long piece of music, it might be good to hear it all in one sitting.  I have the Metropolitan Opera performance on DVD, so I can watch it through without interruption if I want, as long as I remember to unplug the telephones and figure out some way to keep people from knocking on the door.  (My door mat that says "Go Away" instead of "Welcome" doesn't always work; I wish I could put in a trapdoor that leads far down into a pool filled with alligators, but that just isn't practical...)

Has anyone here listened to all of The Ring in one sitting?  If so, please comment on the experience.

Heather