Verdi 's Requiem

Started by wagnernn, October 13, 2007, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 04, 2011, 08:05:30 AM
Is it really, Ilaria?! ;) Is there anything you dislike of Karajan's conducting? ;)

Till now I've never found a Karajan's recording which doesn't satisfy me  ;)
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on October 04, 2011, 08:19:45 AM
Till now I've never found a Karajan's recording which doesn't satisfy me  ;)

:)

Let me know if you ever do! ;)

Would Karajan be your first recommendation for every work he recorded? ;)

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 04, 2011, 08:05:30 AM
Is it really, Ilaria?! ;) Is there anything you dislike of Karajan's conducting? ;)

Good question. :D

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on October 04, 2011, 08:22:10 AM

Let me know if you ever do! ;)

Would Karajan be your first recommendation for every work he recorded? ;)

Hahaha, very funny  :D

Not necessary  :) For some composers, my first choice falls on other conductors. But anyway, it is always worth listening to Karajan's works.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 04, 2011, 08:31:52 AM
Good question. :D

It's not my fault if he's my favourite conductor ;) I've fallen in love with Karajan since I listened to his recording of Beethoven No.9

zamyrabyrd

What do you think of Quattro Pezzi Sacri?

I listened to Toscanini's recording yesterday of the Te Deum. The choral voices though were overly covered IMO, particularly the men in the beginning.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOu-F0UtaU0

There was another vid of a Mexican choir and orchestra but too unbearable so I stopped listening in the middle. A bad approach to this work can make it sound pompous and overbearing, I suppose.

ZB
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, one by one."

― Charles MacKay, Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds

KevinP

Which recordings of the Requiems have Leontyne Price? I know there are a few of them...

knight66

There is a DVD, Karajan conducts and Pavarotti is the tenor. This is a highly praised performance. On CD there is a Solti set on RCA. This has Janet Baker as mezzo and she shows up Price's lack of acuity with the words.

Those are the only ones I know. There is a very good Abbado one with Margaret price, available on DVD.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Tsaraslondon

There's also one conducted by Reiner with Rosalind Elias, Bjoerling and Tozzi, and Price was in fresher voice than she would be on the later Solti set, Knight mentions.
\"A beautiful voice is not enough.\" Maria Callas

ritter

Quote from: Tsaraslondon on October 24, 2014, 01:06:21 AM
There's also one conducted by Reiner with Rosalind Elias, Bjoerling and Tozzi, and Price was in fresher voice than she would be on the later Solti set, Knight mentions.
I've owned the Solti/CSO/L. Price version for ages, but have never warmed to it...Apart from the fact that I've never really enjoyed Solti's conducting--in this and other repertoire--, Leontyne Price (a soprano I usually enjoy a great deal, and had the chance to see live--in recital--towards the end of her distinguished career) here, in the Libera me, sounds as if she were annoyed, or scolding someone  ??? ...A very strange effect that IMHO makes this recording awkward, to put it mildly... ::)

[asin]B000003FCO[/asin]

KevinP

http://www.amazon.com/Verdi-Messa-Requiem-Leontyne-Price/dp/B00EVT3LA2/

Also this 2014 release of Karajan. I picked it up a few days ago and it prompted the question.

mc ukrneal

So here I am, listening to Bernstein's version (with Domingo, Arroyo and co). It's ok - some good things, some less so, when I get to the Tuba Mirum. And then something strange happens. Maybe you know how the brass, particularly trumpets, build up in this back and forth fanfare that ultimately leads to a big entrance by the chorus and rest of the orchestra. This is actually an interesting section, because the articulation here can be drastically different. In this case, the articulation is clear - but what is strange is that the trumpets/upper brass disappear for a bit before the entrance of the chorus. It is really odd - I wonder why they do that. Anyone know?

You can hear it here(so at 0.55 - the lower brass dominate and then the chorus enters a bit later):
https://www.youtube.com/v/EPHQ6BoYSnw

Compare that to this one (at around 0.45, a little before if you want a more complete comparison):
https://www.youtube.com/v/FcFrImouGg8

Or this one at around 3.15:
https://www.youtube.com/v/KkssNMI_niE
Be kind to your fellow posters!!