20th Century Choral Music

Started by Dancing Divertimentian, December 04, 2008, 09:51:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maciek

How I managed not to mention Pawel Lukaszewski for so long on this thread is quite beyond understanding. But now at last I am. He has his own thread here, much frequented by everyone's favorite posters.

Häuschen

There is an incredible disc by the Tapiola Choir called Water Under Snow Is Weary that contains some absolutely beautiful music.  Leave it to the Finns to have a world class children's choir capable of lushly sung traditional songs as well as frightening tone clusters and screams.  It also includes a music drama, "Marjatta, matala neiti" by Rautavaara based on a portion of the Kalevala.  I bought mine in 1991, but I think it was reissued in 1996 and sadly remains out of print.

Dancing Divertimentian

Two recent discoveries are Weill's somewhat lightweight but delightful Das Berliner Requiem from this disc and Bernstein's 3rd symphony, "Kaddish". Neither of which I've heard before. The "filler" on this disc is the short but powerful A Survivor From Warsaw from Schoenberg - which in this version out-chills even Abbado/VPO.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

knight66

You have spiked my interest with this Donwyn, thanks, I have ordered it.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

First listen tonight to an unheralded yet fantastic work by Prokofiev: Songs Of Our Days, a suite for mezzo-soprano, baritone, choir and orchestra.

Text is unexceptional yet has the misfortune of being so unabashedly Stalinist that it's nausea-inducing. Sort of the reverse of what text is supposed to provide. It's no coincidence I suppose that the work is very early in Prokofiev's return engagement in the Soviet Union but boy is this laying it on thick:

There is a man behind the Kremlin walls
and the entire land knows him and loves him.
Your joy and happiness comes from him
Stalin! That is his great name!

Although on the bright side Soviet propaganda was always the best for inducing an intense case of the grins. :)

Anyway, fortunately the music is nothing to scoff at. It may not reach the level of some of Prokofiev's more popular works but on its own it's a grand achievement.

Interestingly the mezzo isn't heard from until the next to last movement - Lullaby. But WOW is the wait worth it!! This movement must rank as one of the most lyrically powerful in all Prokofiev. Wonderful inspiration. It's a shame the subtext is so lame-brained but don't let that sway you. Music like this is intended for everybody.

The new erato

Thanks. Added to the ever increasing wishlist, but since there's a very tempting Chandos offer on mdt currently, chances are that this will surface one of these days. Though I'm currently into a baroque period (again).

Harpo

What about Orff's Carmina Burana--or would you put that in another category? That's one I've actually sung in and it's still a lot of fun.

Stravinsky's Symphony of Psalms? Beautiful.

My choir sang Dello Joio's Ode to St. Cecelia a couple of years ago. I hated it--it seemed like a patchwork quilt of many other choral works; boring and random. My choir director was very excited about doing it, since when she was 4 her father conducted it somewhere and Dello Joio stayed at their house.

aside--I went to see my father's grave in Long Island and Dello Joio's grave is right across from it.
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

knight66

I am with you in the Stravinsky, I have sung in it several times. Hypnotic, hiratic it casts a spell if well done and falls flat if done at the wrong tempi.

As for Carmina Burana, I can take a few minutes, but did not enjoy singing it, as each time conductors wanted more and more volume until it became a bawling match to try and overcome the orchestra; the reality being that one trumpet can blot out a large chorus, so the answer was to tone down the orchestra.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Harpo

Quote from: knight on July 28, 2009, 02:23:06 PM

As for Carmina Burana, I can take a few minutes, but did not enjoy singing it,
Mike

Actually, I enjoy listening to it more than singing it. It's not as much fun if you have to follow the music, the conductor, etc.

I used to sing "Six Chansons" by Hindemith, "Ceremony of Carols" by Britten, Aaron Copland American folk songs, "Alleluia" by Randall Thompson. War horses, I guess, but satisfying.
If music be the food of love, hold the mayo.

Slezak

One of the real masterpieces, which is seldom heard, or recorded, is Zoltan Kodaly's "Te Deum"...great work.  SS

Maciek

Quote from: Maciek on January 08, 2009, 05:13:13 AM
Oh, and speaking of chances to hear Penderecki's St Luke Passion: it will be performed at Canterbury Cathedral on 2nd May, as part of the "Polish Season" in Britain, which starts this May and ends May 2010. I guess that will be the opening concert. The closing one is just as interesting: a performance of Roman Maciejewski's Requiem - a piece considered by some to be the best mass setting written by a Polish composer in the 20th century. And yes, it does include choir, so I'm not mentioning it here just offhand - as far as Polish 20th century choral music goes, this one is a must! $:) ;D

Here's a clip from that concert! :o

http://www.youtube.com/v/ffdwQJoBzU4
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffdwQJoBzU4)

offbeat

Hi everyone - this is my first post on this forum - looks really interesting
Tks to Maciek about the concerts in Canterbury - was unaware of this up to now and missed the concert on 2nd May - the Penderecki sounds really atmospheric

Not sure if this work has been mentioned on this thread but will mention as ever since i saw at RFO thought was great
Delius Mass of Life

I know many music lovers are allergic to Delius - some calling it old fashioned others saying its rather decadent but for me thats a plus and love his lush harmonies  :)

bhodges

Hi offbeat, and welcome.  Why not post a little about yourself in the "Introductions" section, here!

You'll find a number of Delius fans here, too.  Anyway, enjoy yourself!

--Bruce

Anne

Welcome, offbeat!  I hope you enjoy yourself at GMG.  There are many knowledgeable people here.  Everyone loves to help a newbie!

Maciek

Pawel Szymanski's Miserere (for choir, vibraphone, harp and 4 cellos, oh, hello there Guido)

(I've posted links to other Pawel Szymanski pieces on my blog)

Air

Quote from: offbeat on August 19, 2009, 02:06:32 PM
Hi everyone - this is my first post on this forum - looks really interesting
Tks to Maciek about the concerts in Canterbury - was unaware of this up to now and missed the concert on 2nd May - the Penderecki sounds really atmospheric

Not sure if this work has been mentioned on this thread but will mention as ever since i saw at RFO thought was great
Delius Mass of Life

I know many music lovers are allergic to Delius - some calling it old fashioned others saying its rather decadent but for me thats a plus and love his lush harmonies  :)

Welcome to gmg, offbeat.
"Summit or death, either way, I win." ~ Robert Schumann

vandermolen

Just discovered this interesting thread.

My No 1 recommendation is Novak's 'The Storm' - one of the masterpieces of the 20th Century.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maciek

Quote from: Maciek on January 08, 2009, 05:13:13 AM
Oh, and speaking of chances to hear Penderecki's St Luke Passion: it will be performed at Canterbury Cathedral on 2nd May, as part of the "Polish Season" in Britain, which starts this May and ends May 2010. I guess that will be the opening concert. The closing one is just as interesting: a performance of Roman Maciejewski's Requiem - a piece considered by some to be the best mass setting written by a Polish composer in the 20th century. And yes, it does include choir, so I'm not mentioning it here just offhand - as far as Polish 20th century choral music goes, this one is a must! $:) ;D

Did anyone go to the Maciejewski? Johnson's Rambler links to a review.

offbeat

Despite its rather uninspiring title this is a wonderful disc of choral singing- in particular the Crucifixus pro nobis op 38 - contains some spine chilling singing mixed up with beautiful harmonies - highly recommended  :)