Luigi Boccherini (1743-1805)!

Started by SonicMan46, December 09, 2008, 09:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on May 12, 2024, 01:45:10 AMFor chamber music of Classical era Boccherini has become my frequent go-to...  :D I think that where he excelled in.

I recently did a comparative listening of Boccherini's six string trios opus 47:

Though Europa Galante and La Real Cámera are both my favourite ensembles in Boccherini, I kind of expected the energetic Fabio Biondi to end on top. But no, La Real Cámera takes it away in a subtle but expressive interpretation  with close rapport between the players. Biondi et al. are not as energetic as expected, on the contrary, and the ensemble playing sounds disjointed in comparison. The Germans on Audite offer no serious competition: conservative, dutiful playing.

Thanks Que - no need to change my collection!  ;D   Dave

Spenserian

Seems like Real Cámara recorded a lot more Boccherini, great, was totally unfamiliar with them and those recordings!

Skogwald

This one was my first Boccherini album (recommended by Dave Hurwitz). Absolutely lovely!

Sampling some of the other albums, I've taken a liking towards the string sextets. But I'm still learning and discovering this fantastic composer.