What is/are your ring tone(s)

Started by Egebedieff, December 10, 2008, 02:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senta

Opening of John Adams' Harmonielehre or opening of Britten's Young Person's Guide. 

I need to change them soon, I've had these for ages. Another I used to use was the opening of Bernstein's Candide Overture.

My phone actually uses MP3s, I just have to cut them to desired length, transfer them on, and choose it. I have a Nokia something.

jimmosk

I haven't bothered to do this yet, because I use my cell so infrequently, but I plan to record myself (or maybe a close friend?) saying "Jim.... phone!" several times, with a five second pause between each. I figure my name is the one sound that I'm completely trained to listen for, and almost everybody else is trained to recognize it as not referring to them.  Probably I'd be able to hear it even if I kept the ring volume turned way down.

-J

--
Jim Moskowitz
The Unknown Composers Page:  http://kith.org/jimmosk/TOC.html
Jim Moskowitz / The Unknown Composers Page / http://kith.org/jimmosk
---.      ---.      ---.---.---.    ---.---.---.
"On the whole, I think the whole musical world is oblivious of all the bitterness, resentment, iconoclasm, and denunciation that lies behind my music." --Percy Grainger(!)

Hollywood

The ring tone for when my husband calls me is Michael Haydn's Turkish March in C and for all other incoming calls the ring tone is John Philip Sousa's The Invincible Eagle8)
"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Wanderer

amw

Since audio links don't seem to work, it's this bit of the Meistersinger Prelude:

A couple of people also have their own special ringtones. My dad's ringtone is this bit of the Janáček Concertino, the piece from which my text and email notification sounds also are taken:

and my ex-boyfriend's ringtone is this bit of the Leningrad Symphony, which I obviously haven't heard in a while:

Considered adding a ringtone for my mom, but she uses her phone so infrequently and misplaces it so often that it hardly seemed worth it.

Que

Where could I find an extensive - of the beaten path - selection of Classical ringtones?

I like the idea of a Scarlatti ringtone, for instance...  :D

amw

I just create my own audio clips from music I want (using e.g. Audacity or a similar digital audio editor) and then manually import the clips to my phone. There may be an easier way, but at least this way I get to choose the recordings, clip them down to the precise length necessary, etc.

Holden

I used to use the 3rd movement of Hummel's Trumpet Concerto which always turned heads (and gave rise to the odd "Tally Ho"). Now I have the crickets chirping sound which is one of the ringtones supplied by Apple with the phone.

Cheers

Holden

Florestan

Nowadays it's just a nondescript Nokia tone.

Historically, I used to have three, in chronological order:  Beethoven's Bagatelle op. 119/1, Cara al sol and the finale of Haydn's 88th symphony.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

Symphonic Addict

Currently I have two: both fragments from Glazunov's Symphony No. 5 (ending) and Magnard's Hymne à la Justice respectively. Another I use quite often (among many more) is the beginning of the epic and celebratory ending from Janáček's Sinfonietta. I guess they're striking and sonorous enough to be able to hear my smartphone.  ;D
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Pohjolas Daughter

Where can you get other ringtones--preferably for free and also at a site that's safe.  Or how to create ones own?  Currently, I just use whatever is on my iPhone.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on July 26, 2021, 03:55:49 AM
Where can you get other ringtones--preferably for free and also at a site that's safe.  Or how to create ones own?  Currently, I just use whatever is on my iPhone.

PD

I make my own ringtones by extracting fragments from works (files on my PC) using a program and I transfer them to my phone.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Roasted Swan

There's a free app which I use on my android phone - "MP3 cutter and ringtone maker".  It does just that - import any MP3 file simply drag boundaries to the section of the file you want to keep -cut and save with name of your choice.  Then in settings make that new abbreviated file your ring tone.

I - briefly - had the shower scene from Psycho..... my rationale was it was distinctive and I wouldn't miss hearing it.  It became clear very quickly that for people around me who I didn't know it was at best odd and at worst disturbng.  Naively this hadn't occured to me - I changed it asap to my current ring tone - Deodato's jazz-funk version of "Also Sprach" as used in Peter Sellars' one but last film "Being there".

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 26, 2021, 10:03:51 AM
I make my own ringtones by extracting fragments from works (files on my PC) using a program and I transfer them to my phone.

Quote from: Roasted Swan on July 26, 2021, 02:13:40 PM
There's a free app which I use on my android phone - "MP3 cutter and ringtone maker".  It does just that - import any MP3 file simply drag boundaries to the section of the file you want to keep -cut and save with name of your choice.  Then in settings make that new abbreviated file your ring tone.
Thank you both.  I'll check out the program.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

DaveF

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on July 26, 2021, 10:03:51 AM

Ha! me too.  Currently I have: ringtone - the start of Symphonies of Wind Instruments; incoming text - the start of Varèse's Déserts (clang clang); outgoing e-mail - the start of Messiaen's Oiseaux exotiques.  Although this thread has got me thinking that I need a change...
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

Hans Holbein

classicalgeek

I actually composed my own ringtone... just a polka I wrote for fun for my kids! Entered into Sibelius and recorded with their default MIDI sound library.

I don't know if this audio clip will work, but this is what I hear every time my phone rings:  ;D
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r_4px7_WbnhwJS30Xhy4wxRXK7lw7FKX/view?usp=sharing
So much great music, so little time...

Original compositions and orchestrations: https://www.youtube.com/@jmbrannigan

TheGSMoeller