Author Topic: The Early Music Club (EMC)  (Read 311052 times)

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
Re: The Early Music Club (EMC)
« Reply #1500 on: August 02, 2020, 02:52:42 AM »
Hortus Deliciarum:

I remember buying this CD many years ago under the misapprehension that it was a collection of the music of Hildegard. As it transpired she is only credited four times out of twenty one tracks, the rest being credited to other sources.

Having said that, this is a wonderful CD with heavenly singing from Discantus under the direction of Brigitte Lesne. Nonetheless, I still remember my great disappointment at the time because it was not all Hildegard’s music.
Ooh!  This is lovely!  I'm trying to explore more early music myself and found this track from your album on youTube--if anyone else here is curious.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7OYMeaaBGA

PD

• Veteran member
« Reply #1501 on: August 02, 2020, 02:56:28 AM »

Johan Van Veen’s just posted a review of this 2019 CD, which you’ll find on streaming platforms.

When it first came out I was impressed by the Penalosa Ensemble release because of the feeling of domestic music making, like a Schubertiad, However I found that the programme didn’t excite my imagination enough to stay the course for a whole CD. I don’t know whether this due to me, the music, the performances, or something else. Anyway, I returned to it today after reading Van’s review and felt much the same. 

However there’s one thing I want to say, there’s a couple of songs by a composer called Adam Rener which, I think, are a bit special. Does anyone know anything about Adam Rener - other works? There’s one thing on this old stinker

I'd love to hear that Wunderlich CD?  I believe that I remember reading about these performances a number of years ago (I was busy 'binging' on Fritz Wunderlich then).  How are the remasters?

PD

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #1502 on: August 02, 2020, 03:26:41 AM »

Ooh!  This is lovely!  I'm trying to explore more early music myself and found this track from your album on youTube--if anyone else here is curious.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7OYMeaaBGA

PD

Yes, it is very fine. I am glad that you enjoyed it.
It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and leave no doubt.

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #1503 on: August 03, 2020, 12:11:16 AM »
I'd love to hear that Wunderlich CD?  I believe that I remember reading about these performances a number of years ago (I was busy 'binging' on Fritz Wunderlich then).  How are the remasters?

PD

It’s ok. You should be able to find samples. My main reservation is that I grow tired of his voice and the approach, it can become quickly monotonous, everything treated in the same way. But in small doses it’s alright.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 12:19:50 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online (: premont :)

• Veteran member
It's better to act today than to regret tomorrow.
(Mette Frederiksen)

• Veteran member
« Reply #1505 on: August 03, 2020, 01:08:59 AM »
Thank you Mandryka.   :)

PD