Did You Listen to All the Recordings You Own at Least Once?

Started by Florestan, May 14, 2022, 03:40:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Did You Listen to All the Recordings You Own at Least Once?

I'm positively sure I did
9 (26.5%)
I'm not sure but believe I did
1 (2.9%)
Can't remember / Don't know
0 (0%)
I'm not sure but believe I didn't
0 (0%)
I'm positively sure I didn't
24 (70.6%)

Total Members Voted: 30

André

Quote from: steve ridgway on May 14, 2022, 10:21:46 PM
That's where I'm at but it's not a large queue and will be all played as I cycle through so I voted Yes.

Same here. They are separate from the rest and will all be played eventually, so yes.

MusicTurner

As regards big boxes (Complete works by Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, or Schubert+Schumann+Brahms vocal music, Boccherini quintets, CPE Bach piano works etc.), I haven't listened to all of it yet, for example.

And latest purchases too.

Hearing a piece only once doesn't necessarily make me able to 'judge' it, or of course remember it later on. Especially as regards new music. Whereas very conventional or predictable works from earlier times can make me immediately dislike the music, from one hearing.

The new erato

Single discs; yes. Larger sets are usually bought for convenience and low cost per disc, and I play what I am most interested in. So I am 110% sure I have lots of unplayed discs. Though I recently played disc 12, the final disc, in the Dowland box I bought more than 25 years ago (probably around 1996).

Brahmsian

Quote from: The new erato on May 15, 2022, 03:35:23 AM
Single discs; yes. Larger sets are usually bought for convenience and low cost per disc, and I play what I am most interested in. So I am 110% sure I have lots of unplayed discs. Though I recently played disc 12, the final disc, in the Dowland box I bought more than 25 years ago (probably around 1996).

This might be the next poll question: What is your oldest purchased recording you have yet to listen to? You are the early leader here! 🙂

For me, that would be 6 years (Varèse complete set and Gorecki box set) though I've listened to one track of one disc of Varèse and one disc of Gorecki.

Jo498

I had to vote for the last option. BUT: With very few exceptions this only concerns boxes of which I have heard some discs but not all. This even includes cases where I had some of the boxed recordings before and had listened to them often (e.g. in case of the big Rubinstein box) so I didn't bother when I got the box.
There are also boxes/sets I bought when I knew before I was only interested in a subset of the content and might never listen to all of them.

I have one still wrapped disc with some baroque music I got in a a sale but separately purchased single discs are almost always listened to (at least partly) fairly quickly. In former times I sometimes bought too much too quickly but nowadays rarely.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

steve ridgway

Quote from: OrchestralNut on May 15, 2022, 05:25:20 AM
For me, that would be 6 years (Varèse complete set and Gorecki box set) though I've listened to one track of one disc of Varèse and one disc of Gorecki.

I enjoyed the first track on my first Varèse complete set - Ameriques - the least. Probably due to it being the earliest of his modernist pieces.

Maestro267

Karl Henning

Quote from: Brian on May 14, 2022, 05:46:23 PM
The only things I have no intention of hearing are discs in Big Box Sets which aren't interesting. For example, I regularly listen to about 30 CDs from the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra box, but will never listen to the album where a countertenor sings British and Irish folk songs.

I seem to remember finding it all right.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vandermolen

I tend to find some still in their cellophane wrappers  ::)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

I nearly gave this item in the Barbirolli box a miss ... but I was glad to hear both the Hob VIIg: C1 and the RVW
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

steve ridgway

Quote from: vandermolen on May 16, 2022, 03:28:40 AM

Just watch out your wife doesn't find some still in their cellophane wrappers! >:(

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 16, 2022, 03:28:40 AM

Same here, Jeffrey. I still run into many that are still sealed. :-[

Pretorious

Yes. Much like books, they only enter my library if they are listened to, or read. If not, I don't keep them.
"Tis said, that art is long, and life but fleeting:—Nay; life is long, and brief the span of art; If e're her breath vouchsafes with gods a meeting, A moment's favor 'tis of which we've had a part." -Beethoven - Conversation Book, March 1820

https://codeandcoda.wordpress.com

Holden

I chose the last option. For example, I bought the 100 CD Russian Legends box and while I wanted to hear Richter, Gilels, Kissin, Oistrakh, Berman, I have no interest in the two cellists Rostropovich and Shafran so they haven't been played and probably won't be.

Another box set that I must complete is the 142CD Rubinstein set. I've listened to over half of it so maybe this holidays I start with CD 1 (which I have heard) and work my way through. Now thats over 142 hours of music so it will a bit of slog.
Cheers

Holden

Jo498

Many of the Rubinstein discs have LP length, arond 40 min or less, so it is less than 142 hours. But it's a lot and there is so much doubling or even quadrupling of repertoire. A few years ago I made the conscious effort to got through the whole box during summer but I think there are still a few of them left (I put little sticking dots on the ones I had listened to).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Holden

Quote from: Jo498 on June 02, 2022, 10:56:58 PM
Many of the Rubinstein discs have LP length, arond 40 min or less, so it is less than 142 hours. But it's a lot and there is so much doubling or even quadrupling of repertoire. A few years ago I made the conscious effort to got through the whole box during summer but I think there are still a few of them left (I put little sticking dots on the ones I had listened to).

I've ripped these in FLAC level 5 onto an external SSD drive so I can listen to them on my PC in order via disc number (though the metatagging threw up some anomalies here). I've already started and will play a couple of disc a night. I have a Schiit Asgard 3/Modi 3 combo attached so the sound quality is as good as it gets.
Cheers

Holden