Classical Music Blogs or Personal Webpages

Started by Que, December 13, 2008, 02:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

San Antone

It is not often where I am contacted by the performer of a recording I discuss on my blog.  But this is what happened recently when Björn Schmelzer and I had an extended colloquy regarding his recording of Machaut: Messe de Nostre Dame.

My original review is here and his comments begin here.

;)

Mahlerian

"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

SurprisedByBeauty

AMeticulousMusician

I created my Youtube channel today.

It will focus on piano MIDIs being reproduced in Synthesia for classical music or famous classical-like music.
I intend to upload weekly.

Today I posted my first two videos. The music is Light of the Seven, from Game of Thrones, composed by Ramin Djawadi.
There is no other MIDI that goes close to the original music, by far, but mine does (it was my intention).
The second video has no piano sound - it is the accompaniment (Music Minus One), so you can play it yourself.

Check my Youtube channel! (A Meticulous Musician)

Here are the links for the videos:
Complete (all instruments): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpS7fjo-eS0&t=35s
Music Minus One (accompaniment for piano): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEJ7LEkZcZM

Thanks for your attention, enjoy :)

SurprisedByBeauty

SurprisedByBeauty

Classical CD Of The Week: Bruckner's End In Salzburg

The 2014 Salzburg Festival featured all the Bruckner Symphonies and the Ninth with Christoph von Dohnányi and the Philharmonia Orchestra was the best of the lot.

chord

HIPster

Quote from: chord on March 15, 2017, 12:57:26 PM

Cloud Cyclopaedia -  Chant Cistercien

http://classicalcompass.blogspot.hu/2017/03/cloud-cyclopaedia-chant-cistercien.html

Excellent!  :)

Thank you for this chord;)

Now playing the wonderful Peres recording.

Cheers!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

SurprisedByBeauty

San Antone

The St. Gregory Society Schola : Palestrina and the Tridentine Mass

I was raised in the Catholic Church, educated at Jesuit schools and was an altar boy for several years from the age of eight, or so. I was taught enough of the Latin Mass to be able to assist the priest and recite the proper responses during the mass (we also had four years of Latin in high school).   But then things changed in the mid-60s and the mass began to be said in the vernacular.  I could appreciate, even at my young age, how much was lost (Gregorian chant exchanged for Peter, Paul and Mary influenced folk music) ...

Florestan

Quote from: sanantonio on March 23, 2017, 05:04:47 AM
The St. Gregory Society Schola : Palestrina and the Tridentine Mass

I was raised in the Catholic Church, educated at Jesuit schools and was an altar boy for several years from the age of eight, or so. I was taught enough of the Latin Mass to be able to assist the priest and recite the proper responses during the mass (we also had four years of Latin in high school).   But then things changed in the mid-60s and the mass began to be said in the vernacular.  I could appreciate, even at my young age, how much was lost (Gregorian chant exchanged for Peter, Paul and Mary influenced folk music) ...

I've said it before: the post-Vatican II Mass is theologically and aesthetically offensive. Giving up the glorious tradition of the Tridentine Mass for the heartbreaking sentimental kitsch that took its place was a disastrous decision.
Every kind of music is good, except the boring kind. — Rossini

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Florestan on March 23, 2017, 05:17:16 AM
I've said it before: the post-Vatican II Mass is theologically and aesthetically offensive. Giving up the glorious tradition of the Tridentine Mass for the heartbreaking sentimental kitsch that took its place was a disastrous decision.

You've got it right and wrong: Giving it up for what you suggest was the alternative (and in fact may well have been, in many places, was disastrous or unfortunate.
The idea that giving it up in order to then actually communicate well with the target audience was a fine and honorable one.
Just a pity they didn't have the staff, training, experience, willingness in place, to do anything with it.
And then there's the question to what extent people want context and understanding and wouldn't actually prefer RITE.
(I might mention that I've also been brought up in catholic schools -- though I was never involved in the Mass myself, except for singing Mass or the Gregorian chants every Sunday with the choir.)