Herbert Howells 1892-1983

Started by vandermolen, June 17, 2010, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: lordlance on March 29, 2023, 05:26:16 PMMost of the discussion on this thread seems to be around his chamber or vocal music. Any particular recommendations from his orchestral music?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

A rite of passage for British composers to compose at least one work for strings. Howells no exception.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Irons on May 05, 2023, 06:28:17 AMA rite of passage for British composers to compose at least one work for strings. Howells no exception.

And this seems to be a genre that British composers excel at, every one who tries it seems to produce a masterpiece, eg Grace Williams Sea Sketches.

Just a little plug here for my MIDI version on Robert Simpson's Variations and Fugue on a Theme of J S Bach (1991), which I prepared in default of a commercial recording.

'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton