Anton Rubinstein (1829-1894)

Started by Dima, May 12, 2018, 01:07:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dima

Valse op.109 No.2 (1884) - the last written valse by Anton Rubinstein.
https://www.ganjing.com/video/1fnrogrtda21qc7nngG8z832M1d61c
To be or not to be the happy end?

foxandpeng

Nice to see this thread open again 🙂

I came to Rubinstein very early in my discovery of classical music, not realising he wasn't viewed by many as amongst the greatest composers. I came to really appreciate him, and still do 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

lordlance

Quote from: foxandpeng on March 27, 2023, 02:39:05 PMNice to see this thread open again 🙂

I came to Rubinstein very early in my discovery of classical music, not realising he wasn't viewed by many as amongst the greatest composers. I came to really appreciate him, and still do 😁

Any absolute favorites?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

foxandpeng

Quote from: lordlance on April 06, 2023, 04:40:22 AMAny absolute favorites?

3 is good, as is 6. I do like them all, to be fair. They may not be Myaskovsky or Shostakovich, but they are all a pleasure 😁
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Albion

Quote from: foxandpeng on April 06, 2023, 06:04:26 AM3 is good, as is 6. I do like them all, to be fair. They may not be Myaskovsky or Shostakovich, but they are all a pleasure 😁

We really DO need a new Rubinstein orchestral survey with a top orchestra, excellent soloists and a conductor who actually believes that the music is worthwhile - which it certainly is. It's a shame that Neeme Jarvi didn't get his paws on it and is now unlikely to, likewise Serebrier would have given us the goods...

;D
A piece is worth your attention, and is itself for you praiseworthy, if it makes you feel you have not wasted your time over it. (SG, 1922)

Dima

Quote from: Albion on April 06, 2023, 07:07:54 AMWe really DO need a new Rubinstein orchestral survey with a top orchestra, excellent soloists and a conductor who actually believes that the music is worthwhile - which it certainly is. It's a shame that Neeme Jarvi didn't get his paws on it and is now unlikely to, likewise Serebrier would have given us the goods...

;D
Using computer audio editing and today recordings I have made for myself many satisfied recordings of Rubinstein's music - without waiting 100 years more when somebody will do it.
You can listen just for example only the 4th part of his 4 symphony in such alternative recording (and if you like, then the 1st part) and decide yourself - if somebody in the world can be compared to his great music. Here is the link on alternative recoding of the 4th symphony (all 4 mp3 files are in one zip archive):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1xGLCrGPYjTTXZQgX_qiz38JMNUcIbRwL

W.A. Mozart

What do you think about the fifth symphony?

foxandpeng

Quote from: W.A. Mozart on May 04, 2023, 06:18:41 AMWhat do you think about the fifth symphony?

Rubinstein 5 is amongst my favourites in the cycle 🙂

Tolstoy

Dima

Knowing the context, may help to understand the music of Rubinstein.
For example, how great people in Russia captured the image of Russia in different arts.
In music, this image you can hear in the first Symphony (1850) of twenty-one year old Anton Rubinstien – in its third part.
About same phenomen eighth years later poet Nekrasov wrote a poem "Thoughts At A Vestibule":
"Go out to the Volga: hear whose moan
Rises over Russia's greatest river?
In our land, this moan is called a song-
It's the boatmen straining in their traces!"

And after twenty-three years, a painted analog appeared in 'Burlaki on the Volga' by Repin.
The "Barge Haulers on the Volga" or "Burlaki on the Volga" it is not only the form of old labor used for transporting ships (sometimes slavish). It is also known as the image of people in Russia.

Listen to this music of Anton Rubinstein and look on the painting of Repin: 
https://www.ganjing.com/ru-RU/video/1fjaqcnke5hAsIBgzPeRQAzjh19b1c