David Matthews(1943-)

Started by Dundonnell, December 15, 2008, 05:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

André

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on June 07, 2021, 12:30:37 PM
Like some other Dutton disks now OOP, the Matthews 1,3,5 Symphonies disk is available on iTunes  ;D

Matthews has all his symphonies recorded except No.8 and most of his orchestral and chamber works, but we are still waiting for Toccata to finish the cycle of his SQs (noise of fingers drumming on table).

I don't do itunes. I need the physical cd... :).

The 8th has been recorded on the Signum label. It's on my wishlist for a coming purchase:

vandermolen

Quote from: André on June 07, 2021, 04:11:02 PM
I don't do itunes. I need the physical cd... :).

The 8th has been recorded on the Signum label. It's on my wishlist for a coming purchase:

I also need the physical CD - my wife keeps telling that I could have my whole collection on an 'iPod' and could then chuck all the hard copies out  :o
I liked the new Matthews CD but not as much as his Symphony No.6
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

J

Quote from: vandermolen on June 07, 2021, 10:28:44 PM
I also need the physical CD - my wife keeps telling that I could have my whole collection on an 'iPod' and could then chuck all the hard copies out  :o

Nos. 3 & 6 are the two I listen to.  After much repetition the others just don't engage me nearly as much.

vandermolen

Quote from: J on June 09, 2021, 08:33:36 PM
Nos. 3 & 6 are the two I listen to.  After much repetition the others just don't engage me nearly as much.
Yes, this is my experience as well Greg.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

foxandpeng

Quote from: vandermolen on June 07, 2021, 10:28:44 PM

Space means I have to keep my collection digital. We don't have a small house, but when we factor in a ridiculous level of books (us), craft supplies and art objects (not me), and associated items (mostly not me, but us), CDs are 'objecta non grata' (yeah, I know) when digital is possible.

Matthews is on the list. With Lloyd. And Sawyers (to whom I have started to listen already).
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

kyjo

Quote from: foxandpeng on June 10, 2021, 04:55:06 AM
Space means I have to keep my collection digital. We don't have a small house, but when we factor in a ridiculous level of books (us), craft supplies and art objects (not me), and associated items (mostly not me, but us), CDs are 'objecta non grata' (yeah, I know) when digital is possible.

Matthews is on the list. With Lloyd. And Sawyers (to whom I have started to listen already).

Oh, you haven't explored Lloyd yet? :o Great treasures await you, my friend! He's become one of my very favorite composers.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on June 10, 2021, 07:53:32 AM
Oh, you haven't explored Lloyd yet? :o Great treasures await you, my friend! He's become one of my very favorite composers.
There are some fine Lloyd works, especially symphonies 3,4,7,8,11 and 12, PC No.1 'Scapegoat' and PC No.3.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2021, 10:14:34 AM
There are some fine Lloyd works, especially symphonies 3,4,7,8,11 and 12, PC No.1 'Scapegoat' and PC No.3.

I would add the 5th and 6th symphonies (which I prefer to the 3rd, 11th, and 12th, though those have great moments) Symphonic Mass, and Cello Concerto. The 4th and 7th are his undoubted masterworks.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

kyjo

On the topic of David Matthews, I enjoyed his recent 9th Symphony from this recording very much:

[asin]B07NRH6Q84[/asin]

Colorful and accessible music in the great British symphonic tradition.

Brian

Quote from: kyjo on June 10, 2021, 04:15:38 PM
On the topic of David Matthews, I enjoyed his recent 9th Symphony from this recording very much:

Colorful and accessible music in the great British symphonic tradition.
I listened to the Ninth (and Eighth) for the first time ever this afternoon and 9 might based on that one listening be in my personal top two or three symphonies by living composers. I need to listen to the rest of the Matthews cycle, clearly. Nine is structured really interestingly - starting so simply and happily, building to such power and emotion, and then an ending which is almost really really exciting but then pulls back slightly to be emotional instead.

I tweeted at the conductor, Kenneth Woods, that I think Matthews is the best living writer of fast music for orchestra. This might not be the case on reflection (Kalevi Aho and Gabriela Lena Frank come to mind now) but wait, no, maybe it is true.

foxandpeng

Quote from: kyjo on June 10, 2021, 07:53:32 AM

Quote from: vandermolen on June 10, 2021, 10:14:34 AM

Quote from: kyjo on June 10, 2021, 04:10:57 PM
I would add the 5th and 6th symphonies (which I prefer to the 3rd, 11th, and 12th, though those have great moments) Symphonic Mass, and Cello Concerto. The 4th and 7th are his undoubted masterworks.

Thanks, all. Good to have some thoughtful recommendations for starting points. As soon as I have got past my initial exploration of Philip Sawyers, whose Symphony #1 is proving to be very rewarding (despite my not understanding serialism well, but enjoying the music itself as intuitively as I am able), I will be moving on to some George Lloyd. And David Matthews. It has been really good to see people here prodding Matthews, because there is an advantage in reading the comments of those who are more capable before I get there.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

calyptorhynchus

Monday 20 June, concert beginning 2pm (UK time), BBC Radio 3 are broadcasting the premiere (presumably) of Matthews' Symphony No.10!  ;D

Oh calloo calay, oh frabjous day!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

calyptorhynchus

I have just recorded the 10th Symphony off-air and will post a recording to the AMF.

It is subtitled 'Regeneration' and is inspired by the organic farming movement! As you'd expect it's a mainly pastoral work, less dissonant than Matthews' other works. it's in one continuous movement about 25 minutes long, but with the usual four-movement form within it.

Marvellous!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

foxandpeng

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on June 20, 2022, 02:10:42 PM
I have just recorded the 10th Symphony off-air and will post a recording to the AMF.

It is subtitled 'Regeneration' and is inspired by the organic farming movement! As you'd expect it's a mainly pastoral work, less dissonant than Matthews' other works. it's in one continuous movement about 25 minutes long, but with the usual four-movement form within it.

Marvellous!

Grateful thanks, my friend. *dashes on over*

I rate David Matthews pretty highly, so look forward to this.

Tolstoy

calyptorhynchus

foxandpeng

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 26, 2022, 01:24:40 AM

This drops on 2 September  8)

Looking forward to this release. I have enjoyed the releases so far in the cycle (apart from #11 which didn't really grab me much), but confess to some mixed feelings about the vocal components present in SQ#13. Never hugely interesting to me, unlike the birdsong reflections in #14 and #15 - his #10 was excellent when those elements were built in, so hopefully the same with these.

We shall see!

Tolstoy

calyptorhynchus

You can't fault BBC Radio 3 for their attention to Matthew's work. On Wednesday 9 march in a concert beginning 2pm (UK time) they are premiering his 2019 Concerto for Orchestra.  ;D

calyptorhynchus

Ok, so I got the date wrong, it was yesterday (Thursday).

Anyway, I've recorded it now and posted it on the AMF.

download here (you have to register)

Great work!

Brian

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on March 09, 2023, 02:34:52 PMOk, so I got the date wrong, it was yesterday (Thursday).

Anyway, I've recorded it now and posted it on the AMF.

download here (you have to register)

Great work!
Thanks for posting this! Listening now. Quite exciting so far. Right now I'm at about 6-7', where some bucolic, very English woodwind solos begin to predominate.

Edit: Birdcalls have become a common theme in Matthews' orchestral slow movements recently (the Ninth Symphony also has birdsong), but I wasn't expecting this one to include woodpeckers!
Edit II: What a strange, unexpected, off-balance ending!

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Brian on March 10, 2023, 08:23:26 AMThanks for posting this! Listening now. Quite exciting so far. Right now I'm at about 6-7', where some bucolic, very English woodwind solos begin to predominate.

Edit: Birdcalls have become a common theme in Matthews' orchestral slow movements recently (the Ninth Symphony also has birdsong), but I wasn't expecting this one to include woodpeckers!
Edit II: What a strange, unexpected, off-balance ending!

Ah yes, that bird-song passage in the slow movement is wonderful! At least with woodpecker drumming everyone can recognise it (I think he has two species in the there, a louder and lower and a softer and higher (Great Spotted and Little Spotted?). And it gives the percussion a role.

I don't think the ending is unexpected, but I think the finale might have a bit too much material in it, so the ending isn't quite right?