David Matthews(1943-)

Started by Dundonnell, December 15, 2008, 05:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calyptorhynchus

In mid July Toccata issued the String Quartets disk 2 (5 and 12).

:)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

snyprrr

I liked his second album, but after that I think the sauce got to him.

calyptorhynchus

The Twelfth Quartet is fabulous, a bit like an updated Beethoven Op 131, multi-movement, unity in diversity. A must-listen.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

snyprrr

I saw 'The Wind' (1928) last night, a Lillian Gish picture, with music by Carl Davis, orchestrated by David & Colin. The music was pretty creepy, perfectly befitting this odd 'merciless beauty of nature' film.

John Whitmore

As a former player with the Leicestershire Schools S O I recently got hold of a tape from 1987. I think you may enjoy hearing it. Here's the link:
http://youtu.be/GBWjK7g8HXo

calyptorhynchus

I've just posted a recording of the premiere of the Symphony No.8 at the AMF.

http://artmusic.smfforfree.com/

You have to create an account to see the downloads (free).

Christo

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 06, 2012, 11:05:27 AMI haven't been too impressed with Vasks' music. I have all of those Ondine releases and I think I've only listened to them once. Perhaps I need to revisit them at some juncture.

Please try the Second again - starting perhaps with the moving Finale (from minute 31 on). BTW, someone you happen to know wrote the booklet.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

Quote from: Christo on May 10, 2015, 04:43:56 AM
Please try the Second again - starting perhaps with the moving Finale (from minute 31 on). BTW, someone you happen to know wrote the booklet.  :)

...Three years later. ;) I'll definitely give the 2nd another listen, but it may take a few more years to finally get motivated to listen to it. ;)

P.S. I had no idea you wrote the liner notes. Good stuff. 8)

calyptorhynchus

Toccata have just issued the String Quartets vol 4, containing the SQ 11 and his Beethoven transcriptions for SQ.

I have bought it and downloaded, but haven't listened yet.

calyptorhynchus

Now I have listened to it I can thoroughly recommend this disk (SQs Vol 4). The Beethoven transcriptions I can take or leave, I don't really see the point of them, but the SQ 11 is a magnificent work, a series of variations on a theme from one of Beethoven's Bagatelles (rather like Simpson's SQ 9 is a series of variations on a theme of Haydn, though this isn't on the scale of Simpson's work).

Looking forward to vol 5 (presumable SQs 7-9).

calyptorhynchus

calyptorhynchus

And now his Symphony No.9 and Double Concerto for Violin and Viola have been issued by Nimbus.

(I have downloaded this, but haven't listened yet).

8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on May 10, 2015, 04:43:56 AM
OT

And very good they (the booklet notes) are too. Apparently their author found time between his tea parties with Vagn Holmboe etc to write them.
:)

The Symphony 2 is probably my favourite by a living composer and I like No.3 very much as well.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

The new Nimbus disk as awesome, all the works are great. Matthews really is our GLS (greatest living symphonist) (John Pickard is heir apparent).

Amused to see how influenced the first two movements of No.9 are by the first two movements of Robert Simpson's 4th.

:D

calyptorhynchus

I've just found that David Matthews SQ13 (in memoriam Peter Sculthorpe) is available on Youtube. It's for SQ and four singers.

It's very good.  ;D

calyptorhynchus

And bbc radio 3 have just broadcast a performance of his Sinfonia (1995 rev 2015), an eight minute symphonic movement that's an excellent introduction to his style.
It was broadcast on Monday 2 June in an afternoon concert. I think you have 28 days to catch it on their website.

relm1

I thought this album was excellent.  Very good and accessible contemporary music, atmospheric and dramatic in pristine sound.  Highly recommended.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Excerpts from a review of Matthews' symphonies 1, 3 and 5 from a well-known music magazine:

« David Matthews (b. 1943) is clearly leading the way in symphonic writing in England - at least in his generation... His music is freely tonal, which means that his symphonies take from the structure of the great romantics, but his language moves in and out of standard tonality where the mood suits him (...) I found these symphonies cogently written, neatly phrased, and excellently performed (...) If one is to apply a label to Matthews, it must be that the man is a new sort of romantic; but I'll be swizzled if I know what kind. I can't stop playing this.

While this applied to another disc, I found myself in total agreement when listening - again and again - to nos 2 and 6

Although their language is clearly different I am clearly reminded of the effect the symphonies of Ib Norholm had on me many years ago: utterly individual and endlessly fascinating. I wish the Dutton disc of nos 1, 3 and 5 was available. Can't find it anywhere  :(.

calyptorhynchus

Like some other Dutton disks now OOP, the Matthews 1,3,5 Symphonies disk is available on iTunes  ;D

Matthews has all his symphonies recorded except No.8 and most of his orchestral and chamber works, but we are still waiting for Toccata to finish the cycle of his SQs (noise of fingers drumming on table).