Any Recommendations for Schoenberg's Erwartung?

Started by haydnguy, December 16, 2008, 11:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haydnguy

I've looked and looked and can't seem to find what looks like a good choice. :-\

Thanks,
hg   :)

bhodges

I have James Levine and the Metropolitan Opera Orchestra with Jessye Norman, and like it just fine.  (Norman performed it at the Met back in the 1980s.)  With her powerful voice, she may not quite fit some people's perception of the role (e.g., frightened, neurotic) but she does sing it beautifully.

I notice that Anja Silja has a recording (out of print) with Robert Craft, and I'd love to hear that one.  Silja did Erwartung with Levine and the Met Orchestra a few years back at Carnegie Hall, and even though her voice was "getting on in years," it was still pretty amazing.  The recording with Craft was done much earlier, so I'd think she would sound quite good.  (I'd be interested in opinions from anyone else who's heard it.)

--Bruce

karlhenning

Quote from: bhodges on December 16, 2008, 11:29:40 AM
I notice that Anja Silja has a recording (out of print) with Robert Craft, and I'd love to hear that one.

Naxos owes it to us to reissue that one, Bruce.

haydnguy

I was just looking at that one too (Craft). I think that might be the one I get. I just looked and it's $10 on Amazon (U.S.) and available.  8)

val

My favorite is Silja with the superb support of von Donhnanyi.

haydnguy

Quote from: val on December 17, 2008, 01:22:17 AM
My favorite is Silja with the superb support of von Donhnanyi.

Thanks for posting about that one, Val. I went ahead and ordered the Craft but I've put your's on my "Want List" and will get that one soon. :)

val

The version of Dohnanyi also includes one of the best Wozzeck, with Silja and Wächter. Dohnanyi gives a very dramatic interpretation, one of the best I now in this opera.

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: val on December 17, 2008, 03:38:20 AM
The version of Dohnanyi also includes one of the best Wozzeck, with Silja and Wächter. Dohnanyi gives a very dramatic interpretation, one of the best I now in this opera.

I have the Silja/Dohnanyi on a Double Decca with a bunch of other essential Schoenberg, conducted by Dohnanyi and Mehta. I didn't know it had been reissued with Wozzeck as coupling. Either way you can't go wrong.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

haydnguy

Quote from: val on December 17, 2008, 03:38:20 AM

Val, i wanted to get back to you on this and tell you that I've put this one in my "to buy" list. It looks excellent.  8)

Thanks again.