Radulescu's religious rapture

Started by CRCulver, December 22, 2008, 05:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CRCulver

I've been listening a lot to the work of Horatiu Radulescu lately, and though he isn't my favourite composer, he does fulfill all my wants as a fan of contemporary repertoire. On the one hand, his work is absolutely chock-full of eggheaded theory, but on the other hand it's all rooted in a coherent soundworld based on concrete facts of acoustics. To boot, he presents his own mystical philosophy influenced by these spectral explorations, though much easier to swallow than Stockhausen's (but more exhuberant than Per Norgard's).

It's the holiday season, so I'd especially recommend his Piano Concerto. I've reviewed the CPO recording today on Amazon. But the Avant-Garde Project's torrent of earlier (and much more uncompromising) works for flute also make a great introduction.

UB

Quote from: CRCulver on December 22, 2008, 05:51:45 AM
I've been listening a lot to the work of Horatiu Radulescu lately, and though he isn't my favourite composer, he does fulfill all my wants as a fan of contemporary repertoire. On the one hand, his work is absolutely chock-full of eggheaded theory, but on the other hand it's all rooted in a coherent soundworld based on concrete facts of acoustics. To boot, he presents his own mystical philosophy influenced by these spectral explorations, though much easier to swallow than Stockhausen's (but more exhuberant than Per Norgard's).

It's the holiday season, so I'd especially recommend his Piano Concerto. I've reviewed the CPO recording today on Amazon. But the Avant-Garde Project's torrent of earlier (and much more uncompromising) works for flute also make a great introduction.

I think you are correct about suggesting his other works as an introduction to the majority of Radulescu's music. If someone starts with the Piano Concerto they will not hear the kind of sound world that is found in most of his other works. I count his piano sonatas and quartets among my favorite works by this very interesting Hungarian composer.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

CRCulver

snyprrr

I'm curious if you've heard the SQ No.4 Infinite to be cannot be Infinite Op.33 (w.tape), which seeks to imitate a 128 string viol de gamba? Arditti on RZeditions.

Also, Arditti's violist Garth Knox plays Das Andere on an all spectral cd.

And there is a SQ No.2, Practicing Eternity, unrecorded.

some guy

The Knox CD includes pieces for sound icon, too, which are pretty nice, but nothing so good as that LP with Clepsydra and Astray. That's not easy to find, but fortunately the Avant Garde Project (#111) has that available.

That wasn't my first (Inner Time II for seven clarinets was), but it was the first to really grab me.

(Inner Time II is wildly gorgeous, just by the way.)

springrite

Quote from: UB on December 22, 2008, 09:39:43 AM
If someone starts with the Piano Concerto they will not hear the kind of sound world that is found in most of his other works.

Maybe that is my problem? The only CD I have is of the piano concerto, and I had a hard time with that before giving up (and wait a couple of year before I tackle it again.)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

snyprrr

Intimate Rituals: Music for Viola(s)

I give this cd my Highest Spectral Recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/Intimate-Rituals-Horatiu-Radulescu/dp/B000KEG8P2/ref=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334976460&sr=1-8

Four works by Radulescu, two for tuned viola, one for two violas, and one for viola and two pianos played as 'sound icons' (which gives the really cool impression of sympathetic strings) add up to one of the most hypnotic hours ever!

Das Andere is for all intents Radulescu's 'Hit', and is an 18min. spectral workout on viola that is quite simply all consuming. The same goes for the much shorter Lux animae II. There is certainly 'Truth' here, that's for sure... as a description I'll just say that I'm sure you'll find it as cool as you expect. I think this what it's all about.

This goes for Intimate Rituals in spades. With the inclusion of the two pianos, the overall effect is of a cosmic/universal raga... I suppose it's the alap that is the introduction, without the tabla? The piano string make the best drones here.

The sore thumb is Agnus Dei for two violas. Here the agenda is much different, with normally played notes, that sounds to me like a combination of late melodic Stockhausen and Goeyvaarts,... much more Dutch, haha. There is also, I think, a touch of Part here, as there is in so much these days (not a bad thing). Either way, you may find it 'beautiful', but it's totally different than the strictly spectral works. This work bases its spectralism on the notes. I liked it once the shock wore off.

Basically, this is THE Radulescu disc. I haven't yet warmed to the massive SQ for the Ardittis, and this disc, as the title implies, gives us HR's vision in a perfectly small, yet equally massive, setting. Frankly, it's quite the meditational music.

Buy It Now! ;)

raduneo

Quote from: UB on December 22, 2008, 09:39:43 AM
I think you are correct about suggesting his other works as an introduction to the majority of Radulescu's music. If someone starts with the Piano Concerto they will not hear the kind of sound world that is found in most of his other works. I count his piano sonatas and quartets among my favorite works by this very interesting Hungarian composer.

Hungarian??? I beg your pardon? :O He's Romanian every bit as I am! It's a Romanian name all the way. :)

"Horaţiu Rădulescu (Romanian pronunciation: [hoˈratsiu rəduˈlesku]; January 7, 1942 – September 25, 2008) was a Romanian-French composer, best known for the spectral technique of composition." (Wikipedia)

I have some of his works, such as his Piano Concerto, but I have not listened to it extensively yet.

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on April 20, 2012, 07:27:26 PM
Intimate Rituals: Music for Viola(s)

I give this cd my Highest Spectral Recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/Intimate-Rituals-Horatiu-Radulescu/dp/B000KEG8P2/ref=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1334976460&sr=1-8

Four works by Radulescu, two for tuned viola, one for two violas, and one for viola and two pianos played as 'sound icons' (which gives the really cool impression of sympathetic strings) add up to one of the most hypnotic hours ever!

Das Andere is for all intents Radulescu's 'Hit', and is an 18min. spectral workout on viola that is quite simply all consuming. The same goes for the much shorter Lux animae II. There is certainly 'Truth' here, that's for sure... as a description I'll just say that I'm sure you'll find it as cool as you expect. I think this what it's all about.

This goes for Intimate Rituals in spades. With the inclusion of the two pianos, the overall effect is of a cosmic/universal raga... I suppose it's the alap that is the introduction, without the tabla? The piano string make the best drones here.

The sore thumb is Agnus Dei for two violas. Here the agenda is much different, with normally played notes, that sounds to me like a combination of late melodic Stockhausen and Goeyvaarts,... much more Dutch, haha. There is also, I think, a touch of Part here, as there is in so much these days (not a bad thing). Either way, you may find it 'beautiful', but it's totally different than the strictly spectral works. This work bases its spectralism on the notes. I liked it once the shock wore off.

Basically, this is THE Radulescu disc. I haven't yet warmed to the massive SQ for the Ardittis, and this disc, as the title implies, gives us HR's vision in a perfectly small, yet equally massive, setting. Frankly, it's quite the meditational music.

Buy It Now! ;)

Anyone?

Lethevich

Quote from: snyprrr on April 22, 2012, 09:49:53 AM
Anyone?

I followed your rec for Intimate Rituals (the Sub Rosa recording), but I haven't received it yet.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

snyprrr

Quote from: Lethevich on April 22, 2012, 10:03:05 AM
I followed your rec for Intimate Rituals (the Sub Rosa recording), but I haven't received it yet.

I'm flattered! :-* Cool! ;) I'm sure you'll be intrigued. I think one of the pieces is 'live' on YT.

7/4

Quote from: some guy on April 23, 2009, 09:52:16 PMThat wasn't my first (Inner Time II for seven clarinets was), but it was the first to really grab me.

(Inner Time II is wildly gorgeous, just by the way.)

Blew my mind. I'm also pretty thrilled with String Quartets 4 & 5. Five is on utube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqjIik5_Yt8

snyprrr

Any word yet???? ;D

amw

Along with a fairly large collection of Radulescu on record (much of which, however, is hard to find "legitimately" these days), this blog has also linked to the only recordings of Radulescu's Third and Sixth String Quartets I've yet come across.

They're both interesting works, in different ways; I encourage any interested parties to have a listen.

snyprrr

I'm still hawking that viola disc. Did you get it? To anyone new to Radulescu, I think this might be the best introduction. The playing is out of this world, and the sonic impact is simply breathtaking.

BuyItNow!

HenselFlaeder

Quote from: snyprrr on October 21, 2013, 10:07:06 AM
I'm still hawking that viola disc. Did you get it? To anyone new to Radulescu, I think this might be the best introduction. The playing is out of this world, and the sonic impact is simply breathtaking.

BuyItNow!

I too highly recommend that viola disc. Too wonderful

not edward

Quote from: amw on October 17, 2013, 12:22:00 AM
Along with a fairly large collection of Radulescu on record (much of which, however, is hard to find "legitimately" these days), this blog has also linked to the only recordings of Radulescu's Third and Sixth String Quartets I've yet come across.

They're both interesting works, in different ways; I encourage any interested parties to have a listen.
This is great, thanks. I think I have everything by Radulescu that's ever appeared on a commercial CD, but these works are entirely new to me.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

7/4

Today is Horațiu Rădulescus birthday. Wiki says he would have been 66.

Mandryka

Interesting music,  Otwin Stürmer playing Radulescu sonatas. The piano sounds a bit cold, hard and monochrome to me, I think that's a weakness. I don't suppose there's any other way to hear them.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Scion7

partial works list - need to check out this composer

orchestringa and large ens:
Taaroa, op.7, orchestringa, 1969 
Everlasting Longings, op.13a, 24 strings, 1970 
A doini, op.24, 17 players with sound icons, 1974 
Lamento di Gesu, op.23, 1975 
Wild Incantesimo, op.17b, 9 orchestra, 1978 
Thirteen Dreams Ago, op.26, 33 strings, 1978 
Outer Time, op.42, 23 fl, 1980, arr. viola, cello, double-bass, 1986, arr. percussion, 1989, arr. 2 piano, 1990, arr. 4 tpt, 4 trbn, 1992 
Iubiri, op.43, 18 players, 1981  Byzantine Prayer, op.74, 40 flutes, 1988  Angolo divino, op.87, 1994  The Quest (piano Concerto), op.90, 1996

Other inst:
Credo, op.10, 9 vc, 1969 
Flood for the Eternal's Origins, op.11, global sound sources, 1970, perf. 1972 
Capricorn's Nostalgic Crickets, op.16h, 7 wind, 1972 
'infinite to be cannot be infinite, infinite anti-be could be infinite' (string Qt no.4), op.33, (string qt, tape)/string qt, 1976–87 
Das Andere, op.49, violin/viola/cello/double-bass, 1984 
Unde incotro, op.55, 11 strings, 1984 
Dizzy Divinity I, op.59, fl, 1985 
'being and non-being create each other' (Sonata no.2), op.82, piano, 1991 
'before the universe was born' (string Qt no.5), op.98, 1993 
'like a well ... older than God' (Sonata no.4), op.92, piano, 1993 
'practising eternity' (string Qt no.6), op.91, 1993 
'animae morte carent', op.85, oboe d'amore, piano, 1995 
l'exil à l'intérieur, op.98, cello, piano, 1997

Choral:
Doruind, op.27, 48vv, 1976 
Do Emerge Ultimate Silence, op.30, 34 children's vv, 34 bowed monochords, 1984 
Vetrata, op.84, chorus, 3 sound icons, 1992
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."