Radulescu's religious rapture

Started by CRCulver, December 22, 2008, 05:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanb

Quote from: Mandryka on September 05, 2016, 11:32:47 PM

Interesting music,  Otwin Stürmer playing Radulescu sonatas. The piano sounds a bit cold, hard and monochrome to me, I think that's a weakness. I don't suppose there's any other way to hear them.

There are other recordings of a couple of them, but still with Ortwin Stürmer, so they may have the same problems.

Otherwise, you'll obviously want this disc, which at least has one of the sonatas you seek. It's amazing and, based on the title, hopefully one of three or four.

Mandryka

Quote from: nathanb on September 06, 2016, 06:19:27 AM
There are other recordings of a couple of them, but still with Ortwin Stürmer, so they may have the same problems.

Otherwise, you'll obviously want this disc, which at least has one of the sonatas you seek. It's amazing and, based on the title, hopefully one of three or four.

Yes thanks, it's strange to hear echoes of something, Bartok maybe, maybe Messiaen,  in the second sonata. Clarke makes an interesting percussive sound, glockenspiel like at times, or woodblocks, I like that very much (makes me think of Annie Fischer a bit) It's very cool music.

I haven't had a chance to listen to the quartet yet.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

schnittkease

Does anyone know if there's been a second installment in the Piano Sonatas & String Quartets series? We need more Rădulescu!

CRCulver

Quote from: schnittkease on July 02, 2018, 12:37:57 PM
Does anyone know if there's been a second installment in the Piano Sonatas & String Quartets series? We need more Rădulescu!

The JACK Quartet lost half of its members in the meantime. That might have thrown a spanner into plans to further record. Also, Mode has been a knife's edge financially since forever, and so it might not be able to release anything new unless at a particularly opportune moment money-wise.

schnittkease

amw

Mode new releases seem to be still coming, but very slowly. I'd expect further volumes but not for a while.

The JACK Quartet is also doing fine, at least if their instagram feed is any indication, although still adjusting to the personnel changes.

CRCulver

The NEOS label has announced a three-SACD set of Horatiu Radulescu's complete piano works.

The recording of the Piano Concerto here is presumably the old CPO recording from the 1990s reissued. The same might be true of the Lao Tzu Sonatas. That makes the SACD-ness of this release problematic. I hope that NEOS simply hasn't added surround sound to the old recording with artificial means, like BIS's "upsampling" on that label's reissues of its earlier BACH cantata volumes.

schnittkease

Quote from: CRCulver on September 01, 2018, 02:45:44 PM
The NEOS label has announced a three-SACD set of Horatiu Radulescu's complete piano works.

The recording of the Piano Concerto here is presumably the old CPO recording from the 1990s reissued. The same might be true of the Lao Tzu Sonatas. That makes the SACD-ness of this release problematic. I hope that NEOS simply hasn't added surround sound to the old recording with artificial means, like BIS's "upsampling" on that label's reissues of its earlier BACH cantata volumes.

Big thumbs up!  It'll be interesting to see how Stürmer's interpretations of nos. 2 & 5 compare to Clarke's superb readings.

Mandryka

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWWXZGa5sVE

Does anyone know anything about who's playing on this interesting youtube release?

Mandryka

Maestro267

Ah yes, that classic Adobe Flash Player is not supported.

Mandryka

https://www.horatiuradulescu.com/writings/liner-notres/15-lao-tzu-sonatas-bg

Good essay, if frustrating because it shows how little of his work is available.

Oh and I stumbled across the score for A Doini for a piano turned on its side

not edward

Still nothing more on the piano and string quartet front, but Mode has released a couple of recordings with cello music played by the composer's widow Catherine Tunnell:

[asin]B07NKVW2WR[/asin]

[asin]B07Y9CF7D9[/asin]

The cello sonatas and organ pieces are largely in the same vein as the piano sonatas; the rest is not.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Mandryka

The thing I'm very keen to hear is the fons et origo,  Credo for nine celli op.10