Leevi Madetoja (1887-1947)

Started by vandermolen, December 22, 2008, 02:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harry

Madetoja of course, I have the Chandos releases, and some on Finlandia. In general I like this composer, but I have to listen to it again, for I am pretty sure that was a long time ago.

vandermolen

Try Symphony No 2 and 'Tragic scene and rapids shooting' if you have it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Dundonnell

Having now had a chance to listen to the Symphonies Nos. 1 and 2 I can say that I prefer both to No.3. No.1 seems very much in thrall to Sibelius but No.2 is indeed a fine work and-I would reckon-probably Madetoja's masterpiece: a most impressive symphony(as Jeffrey said :))

schweitzeralan

Quote from: vandermolen on December 22, 2008, 02:20:57 PM
Perhaps the most important Finnish composer after Sibelius (whom he pre-deceased) I don't seem to recall much discussion on Madetoja. All three symphonies are excellent in my view as is the Ostrobothnians Suite. Petri Sakari and the Iceland Symphony Orchestra provide excellent performances on Chandos. Arvo Volmer (who recorded the Tubin symphonies) also has recorded a Madetoja series on Alba with the Oulu Symphony Orchestra. He is a composer whose music I often return to. It is full of atmosphere, is moving in places and has a real feel for nature.

Any other admirers of Madetoja?

Madetoja was fairly prolific, and I have many recordings of this Finnish master. I believe that his three symphonies are excellent.  the 2nd in particular is a masterpiece.  Influences for the most part are quite Sibelian, which is personally fine with me.

abidoful

Madetoja is truly one of my favorites, a fine musical personality. His quiet, introspective character and sort of veiled, mildly sensual beauty and his strong sense of harmony appealed to me right from the start. He studied for a short time with Sibelius, and formed with Toivo kuula (who was shot at thirty five, in 1918) what is sometimes called "the Ostrobothnian school". Of them Kuula was more fiery in temperament, Madetoja more elegiac and reflective. He is highly regarded here in Finland.
Quote from: Dundonnell on January 05, 2009, 09:26:15 AM

I like The Ostrobothnians Suite; it is colourful, attractive music. The Symphony, on the other hand, made little impression on me, I fear.
Pleasant music-no doubt-but ultimately unmemorable to my ears. A certain undeniable Gallic charm but no bite, not enough sinew to the music for my tastes :(

I shall give the 2nd Symphony a go later and report back. I shall also give my Melartin symphonies another listen. If I recall correctly they made more impression on me.
Madetoja indeed hasn't much bite,  he's not bity :) In my experience his music opens quite slowly, little like Faures,but when it does it reveals  many fine qualities. IMHO he's much better composer than Melartin, in totally different league. You might like his ballet-pantomime OKON FUOKO, his most astonishing, exotic and colourful work. Little similar to middle period  Szymanowski I guess.
Quote from: Christo on January 03, 2009, 10:59:33 AM

There is something funny about a title combining tragedy with rapids shooting.  8)
That's becouse it's actually a part of his opera, JUHA (combining the first act prelude with  the orchestral interlude from the same act)- IMO one of his greatest and finest works. It's one of my favorite operas, combining delicate and flexible word -painting (a'la Pelleas et Melisande) to a  profound tragedy. He was the first truly succesfull finnish opera composer, though  composed only two operas, this one and the earlier  POHJOLAISIA (THE OSTROBOTHNIANS). Both are available on cd. Highly recommended!

vandermolen

Have been listening again to the fine 'Tragic episode and Rapids shooting' from Juha (sounds like a metaphor for my life  ;D). A truly wonderful score (in 12 minutes) and now I'm back on the symphonies. The deeply felt No 2 remains my favourite but I enjoy them all.  Madetoja is a fine composer in my view and more deserving of attention.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

As his music has been recommended by so many here I better try it.

I note from his Wikipedia page that Madetoja's fourth symphony was completed and scored, but was stolen in a briefcase from a Paris station in 1938.

I remember that Herbert Howells lost a major work in similar circumstances, and so too did Havergal Brian (his first Violin Concerto). It must have been an occupational hazard for composers in those days.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dundonnell on January 05, 2009, 09:26:15 AMI like The Ostrobothnians Suite; it is colourful, attractive music. The Symphony, on the other hand, made little impression on me, I fear.
Pleasant music-no doubt-but ultimately unmemorable to my ears. A certain undeniable Gallic charm but no bite, not enough sinew to the music for my tastes :(

This is my impression of Madetoja as well. The music is very pleasant and, in many cases, breathtakingly beautiful, but, like you said, there's just not enough bite in the music. At least with Sibelius, you get some gritty darkness (a la Symphony No. 4). I don't hear any of this in Madetoja's music. I don't hear any tragedy or heartbreak. I own the 2-CD set on Chandos and I haven't really felt the need to explore any further. I wonder if the Volmer/Alba recordings could change my view of the music? Anyone want to comment on the differences between the Chandos and Alba recordings? I know the Chandos recordings don't have that great of audio quality. They lack clarity and I usually like Chandos' audio quality but I thought they dropped the ball on these recordings.

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on May 13, 2012, 09:26:00 PM
As his music has been recommended by so many here I better try it.

I note from his Wikipedia page that Madetoja's fourth symphony was completed and scored, but was stolen in a briefcase from a Paris station in 1938.

I remember that Herbert Howells lost a major work in similar circumstances, and so too did Havergal Brian (his first Violin Concerto). It must have been an occupational hazard for composers in those days.

That's very interesting as the CD notes say that ill health prevented him from writing a 4th Symphony.  It would be great if it turned up!

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2012, 10:37:47 PM
This is my impression of Madetoja as well. The music is very pleasant and, in many cases, breathtakingly beautiful, but, like you said, there's just not enough bite in the music. At least with Sibelius, you get some gritty darkness (a la Symphony No. 4). I don't hear any of this in Madetoja's music. I don't hear any tragedy or heartbreak. I own the 2-CD set on Chandos and I haven't really felt the need to explore any further. I wonder if the Volmer/Alba recordings could change my view of the music? Anyone want to comment on the differences between the Chandos and Alba recordings? I know the Chandos recordings don't have that great of audio quality. They lack clarity and I usually like Chandos' audio quality but I thought they dropped the ball on these recordings.

I prefer the Alba as they seem to have greater depth.  For me the all time great Madetoja CD (in blurry image below) is the Alba one which includes 'Tragic Episode and Rapids Shooting from Juha' and a great performance of Symphony No 2, which I find both powerful and genuinely moving (dedicated to his brother killed in the Finnish Civil War).  The Epilogue is particularly touching.  I wouldn't give up on Madetoja until you have heard that disc.  Also, I think that Colin was referring to Symphony No 1 in his message above and he thought much more highly of symphonies 2 and 3. I enjoy the Chandos recordings too.
[asin]B0000508J2[/asin]

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on May 14, 2012, 06:52:30 AM
I prefer the Alba as they seem to have greater depth.  For me the all time great Madetoja CD (in blurry image below) is the Alba one which includes 'Tragic Episode and Rapids Shooting from Juha' and a great performance of Symphony No 2, which I find both powerful and genuinely moving (dedicated to his brother killed in the Finnish Civil War).  The Epilogue is particularly touching.  I wouldn't give up on Madetoja until you have heard that disc.  Also, I think that Colin was referring to Symphony No 1 in his message above and he thought much more highly of symphonies 2 and 3. I enjoy the Chandos recordings too.
[asin]B0000508J2[/asin]

Thanks for the feedback, Jeffrey. Yes, I shouldn't give up Madetoja. His music is beautiful and I guess at the time of listening to the music I wasn't accepting it on it's own terms, which is not the same mistake I plan on making next time around. I'll check out the Volmer recordings.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 14, 2012, 08:05:31 AM
Thanks for the feedback, Jeffrey. Yes, I shouldn't give up Madetoja. His music is beautiful and I guess at the time of listening to the music I wasn't accepting it on it's own terms, which is not the same mistake I plan on making next time around. I'll check out the Volmer recordings.

Thanks John - I think that the emotion is sometimes understated, but still deeply felt with Madetoja.

rw1883

Just finished listening to this twofer:

[asin]B00004R7YS[/asin]

I really liked all of the works, but I felt the interpretations and sound to be a bit underwhelming (with a couple of exceptions: Kullervo Overture and the Okon Fuoko suite).  I'm hoping the Volmer would be boxed when completed.  In the meantime, is the Sakari worth it?

Mirror Image

Quote from: rw1883 on July 05, 2012, 09:07:01 PMI'm hoping the Volmer would be boxed when completed.

Don't hold your breath...

vandermolen

Quote from: rw1883 on July 05, 2012, 09:07:01 PM
Just finished listening to this twofer:

[asin]B00004R7YS[/asin]
In the meantime, is the Sakari worth it?

Definitely I think. Especially as the complete symphonies are on a very inexpensive Chandos twofer.
[asin]B00004W3JF[/asin]

Wanderer

Quote from: vandermolen on July 09, 2012, 01:20:31 PM
Definitely I think. Especially as the complete symphonies are on a very inexpensive Chandos twofer.
[asin]B00004W3JF[/asin]

Seconded.

rw1883

Quote from: Wanderer on July 10, 2012, 12:21:32 AM
Seconded.

Thanks for the advice!  I've added it to my next purchase...

vandermolen

Quote from: rw1883 on July 10, 2012, 06:51:04 AM
Thanks for the advice!  I've added it to my next purchase...

You wont regret it - this set was my way into these fine symphonies.

The 'Tragic Episode/Rapids Shooting' on Alba is essential Madetoja listening too.

Brian

New this month on Ondine: John Storgards and the Helsinki Philharmonic perform the Symphony No 2, an elegy, and Kullervo.