CPE Bach (Carl Philipp Emanuel)

Started by rubio, December 27, 2008, 08:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubio

I haven't heard anything by this composer, and it seems like some rate him quite highly. Does there exist any CPE Bach discs that could be considered desert island material?
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Opus106

Is it top notch? I don't know, but I have certainly enjoyed listening to one cello concerto (on the radio) from this two-disc set.

And CPE for the Desert Island? With the usual limit placed on the quantity of discs, I don't think so. :P
Regards,
Navneeth

Bulldog

Quote from: opus67 on December 27, 2008, 09:34:39 AM

And CPE for the Desert Island? With the usual limit placed on the quantity of discs, I don't think so. :P

I have to agree.  I've heard much CPE, but none of it ever seemed to deserve a desert island spot.

The new erato

Quote from: Bulldog on December 27, 2008, 09:43:21 AM
I have to agree.  I've heard much CPE, but none of it ever seemed to deserve a desert island spot.
Are there anything but JS on your island Don?

But the Bylsma cello concertoes disc was mye initial reaction for an earopener into CPEs musical universe.

Desert Island stuff? Depends on the size of the island I'd say.

Bulldog

Quote from: erato on December 27, 2008, 09:57:56 AM
Are there anything but JS on your island Don?

Certainly.  Some Mozart, Beethoven, Scriabin, Schumann, Chopin, Zemlinsky, Weinberg, Miaskovksy, Shostakovich, etc., and even a Gade disc on Chandos.

Que

I would find some room for his Magnificat (Wq. 215)... 8)

Old HIP School, but marvelous and with Elly Ameling:   And a recent issue that I didn't get yet:

Q

Opus106

Quote from: Que on December 27, 2008, 10:45:49 AM
Old HIP School

I apologise for the digression, but I really need to get to grips with these terminologies. :D Modern is HIP, but old-school are conductors from the pre/post-WWII(?) days of the twentieth century. Now, what's Old HIP? ??? How many HIP-types are there?
Regards,
Navneeth

71 dB

Quote from: rubio on December 27, 2008, 08:33:28 AM
I haven't heard anything by this composer.

Really??? I just listened to his Piano Trios on cpo label (Trio 1790)  0:)

I'd recommend Keyboard Concertos on BIS label played by Miklós Spányi (tangent piano)

C.P.E. Bach was one of the most importants composer between baroque and classism.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Que

Quote from: opus67 on December 27, 2008, 10:53:04 AM
I apologise for the digression, but I really need to get to grips with these terminologies. :D Modern is HIP, but old-school are conductors from the pre/post-WWII(?) days of the twentieth century. Now, what's Old HIP? ??? How many HIP-types are there?

Well, I could also say early HIP - from the pioneering era of the HIP movement.
Harnoncourt founded Concentus Musicus Wien in 1953 for instance, the Collegium Aureum was founded in 1962. This recording was made in 1966.

Q

Lilas Pastia

Quote from: 71 dB on December 27, 2008, 11:19:47 AM

I'd recommend Keyboard Concertos on BIS label played by Miklós Spányi (tangent piano)

C.P.E. Bach was one of the most importants composer between baroque and classism.

I second the choice of Spanyi's BIS series - both the solo works and the concertos. There's a nice compilation on BIS that has claims to be the perfect introduction to CPE's music. I think it's just the ticket for the CPE newbie.:

A Journey Around C.P.E. Bach
BIS-CD-311506
EAN 7318593115067 • TT 79'28 

Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach: Cello Concerto in A major, H.439 (W.172); Keyboard Sonata in G major, H.119 (W.62/19); Fantasia and Fugue in C minor for organ; Sonata in D major for flute and organ, H.505 (W.83); Keyboard Concerto in C minor, H.448 (W.37)
Hidemi Suzuki, cello; Bach Collegium Japan; Miklós Spányi, clavichord/tangent piano; Jacques van Oortmerssen, organ; Lena Weman, flute; Hans-Ola Ericsson, organ; Concerto Armonico

QuoteA grand tour of the musical world of C.P.E Bach is what this varied anthology offers. In it you will find a small selection from the many BIS discs dedicated to this underrated composer. C.P.E. Bach was active – and influential – during one of the great shifts in the history of music: that from baroque to classicism. This was both a revolution in musical styles and also a sociological shift. The rise of a bourgeoisie with money to spare meant that musicians had a new audience, a new market for which to make music – without neglecting the previous great patrons of music: the aristocracy and the church. C.P.E. Bach straddled this divide with a rare gift for compromise. This is amply demonstrated by a programme which includes a flute sonata probably written with the composer's long-time employer Frederick the Great in mind; a keyboard concerto and a cello concerto, both intended for public performances at one of the Berlin concert societies; a keyboard sonata – the genre which to a great extent was shaped by this enormously prolific composer – and, finally, a fugue for organ by this son of the greatest of all organ composers. In short: this disc opens up an entire continent of timbres, moods and sensibilities which to many is still unknown – bon voyage!

Press voices about some of the recordings which make up this compilation:

"Luister! CD" Luister • "Recomendado" CD Compact

"Spányi plays with immense intelligence and superb emotional and digital sensitivity" International Record Review (BIS-CD-1097)

"Suzuki's are refreshing and enlivening performances of attractive and substantial music" Gramophone; "Rosette" Penguin Guide (BIS-CD-807)

"Ces œuvres de CPE sont proposées sous un jour élégant et coloré par Oortmerssen" Répertoire (BIS-CD-569)

SonicMan46

Quote from: 71 dB on December 27, 2008, 11:19:47 AM

Well, I'm completely w/ Poju on his opinion of CPE Bach, an excellent composer and also an important transitional figure in the mid-18th century - if you love this period of music, then you cannot escape listening to this son of Papa Bach; also, GP Telemann was his godfather!

Now in reference to a 'desert island' disc, I would NEVER want to be marooned on such a place - I'm a 'land lover' period, so not a pertinent question for me!  ;) ;D

Concerning the original OP, I have about two dozen discs of CPE Bach's music - he was quite versatile writing a wide variety of compositions - I enjoy his keyboard and chamber works the best, but his orchestral and choral creations are also quite enjoyable!  Please let us know 'what' type of his music you might appreciate the most and further recommendations will follow!  :)

Opus106

Quote from: Que on December 27, 2008, 12:50:25 PM
Well, I could also say early HIP - from the pioneering era of the HIP movement.
Ah.

QuoteHarnoncourt founded Concentus Musicus Wien in 1953 for instance, the Collegium Aureum was founded in 1962. This recording was made in 1966.
Q

Wow. '53! I didn't know HIP was that old.
Regards,
Navneeth

Archaic Torso of Apollo

This is the only CPE disc that I have, but it blows me away! Amazing stuff. The reviews are good too:

formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

rubio

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 27, 2008, 05:21:19 PM

Thank you very much for the recommendations and comments! I think I will make the above two CD's my introduction to this composer :).

SonicMan46

Well, again not sure 'what' you may like relative to this versatile composer, I'll list a few of the recordings in my collection that may be of interest:

Sonatas for Flute - Barthold Kuijken on flute; Demeyere on harpsichord/fortepiano - keep in mind the CPE worked for Frederick the Great, a superb flute player; so the composer wrote a lot of music for this instrument - this is just a wonderful 2-CD set, so if you like chamber flute from this era, worth a consideration.

Flute & Oboe Concertos w/ many, including Nicolet & Holliger; budget 2-CD Philips Duo.

Piano Trios w/ Trio 1790 - on period instruments - wonderful chamber music of the era!

Symphonies & Cello Concertos w/ Bylsma & Leonhardt - 2-CD set.

Have a lot more, but this should provide some 'orchestral & chamber' variety - enjoy!  :D

Bunny

Two of my favorite CPE Bach recordings are shown below.  The first features Christine Schornsheim and Michael Behringer playing the Concerto for Harpsichord and Fortepiano Wq 479 with Gottfried von der Goltz and the Freiburg Barockorchester, a work that I have come to appreciate more and more.  The second is by Andrew Manze and the English Concert.  They both include a Cello Concerto (Wq 171/H 436 in B-flat on the Carus recording; Wq. 172 in A on the Harmonia Mundi recording) as well as some Sinfonia.

Are they desert island recordings?  Perhaps...  They usually find their way on to my ipod so I guess they'd be shipwrecked with me. ;)

rubio

Has anybody here heard this one? It seems quite nice from the clips.

Lilas Pastia

I haven't. But I hate their Boccherini symphonies disc, so I'd definitely sample extensively before committing my pesos.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on December 30, 2008, 05:33:23 PM
I haven't. But I hate their Boccherini symphonies disc, so I'd definitely sample extensively before committing my pesos.

Rubio - I'd agree w/ André, you've already gotten nearly a dozen recommendations and now bring up an 'unknown' - please give the ones suggested a try first - again, good luck in your choices!  :D

Lilas Pastia

I think our friend Rubio is trying to get an introduction that will cover all bases (symphonies, concertos, and a mix of instruments (cello, harpsichord).  Fair enough. That's as good a solution as any. But it's like choosing a single disc to represent Mozart or Beethoven. What would it sound like to have one symphony, one quartet, one concerto and one sonata ? Maybe a good overview, but then you'd end up back to square one, looking for more.
And re-reading this thread for additional recommendations  :D.