Golden Age of RCA and Mercury.

Started by Irons, November 21, 2023, 01:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 12, 2024, 12:28:19 AMByron Janis: Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.3. Recorded Watford Town Hall.
Piano Concerto No.2. Recorded Northrop Auditorium, Minneapolis.

Janis is the equal of my favourite recording of 3, Ashkenazy on Decca, and I have not heard a stronger rendition of 2.

The Minneapolis recording is clearer and less congested at climaxes then Watford. I am slightly puzzled by this as they were recorded within a year of each other. A possible explanation is that 35mm magnetic film used at Watford with half-inch tape as backup. For transfer to CD the backup tape was used as 35mm tape unavailable. For Minneapolis the recording was transferred with the original 3-track half-inch tape.
Lol,

Interesting theory!  I'm not finding much information about that specific recording (There are some fun *anecdotes by Janis which I'll share including Wilma Cozart smartly bringing the fixings for peanut butter sandwiches from the US.  Apparently, there was never any food available in Moscow after 10 p.m.!)

From the booklet:

"Another important technical advance for the Living Presence catalogue was the addition of 35mm magnetic film technology to the Mercury sound.  It was Bob Fine who encouraged its use by the Living Presence team.  Naturally attracted to the new medium because of his film recording background, Fine regarded 35mm magnetic film as a significant breakthrough because it made possible greater clarity, dynamic range and transient response than conventional tape and virtually eliminated tape hiss."

There is a hybrid SACD version of this album too (which I don't own).  Wonder how it sounds?  And would be interested to read the liner notes; might be some information there.

*Another one:  "Right after finishing the Prokofiev tape, Mercury gave it to a friend to rush to New York for safekeeping.  At the Customs at the Moscow airport, he was asked by an understandably suspicious officer:  'What is that large tape you are carrying?'  'The Prokofiev Third Piano Concerto,' was our friend's instant and unflinching reply.  The official looked him in the eye, looked down at the tape, and with no hint of disbelief, amazingly let him pass without a word."

PD

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

@Spotted Horses

Rereading your earlier comment about preferring the Ampex sound, do you (or anyone else here) know as to which was the first recording that they used the 35mm recording?  In the booklet (for the first Mercury CD boxed set), they wrote about the recordings in Moscow and how their winning argument to be able to record the various recordings by the likes of Janis and the Osipov State Russian Folk Orchestra was that they would be using a 35mm magnetic tape recorder.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 12, 2024, 09:33:02 AM@Spotted Horses

Rereading your earlier comment about preferring the Ampex sound, do you (or anyone else here) know as to which was the first recording that they used the 35mm recording?  In the booklet (for the first Mercury CD boxed set), they wrote about the recordings in Moscow and how their winning argument to be able to record the various recordings by the likes of Janis and the Osipov State Russian Folk Orchestra was that they would be using a 35mm magnetic tape recorder.

PD

I found a MLP discography online, and the first release using 35mm by catalog number is SR-90245, Fennel and the Eastman Wind Ensemble playing a program of Gabrieli. Recording date 5/6/1961. After that releases were a mix of 35mm and conventional tape recordings. I guess they didn't have enough equipment to make all recordings using their 35mm machine.

https://mercury.lacyway.com

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rgwya6v7u7dqa1/Mercury%20Stereo%20LPs%20-%20SR-90200%20-%20SR-90299.pdf?e=1&dl=0
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Spotted Horses on March 12, 2024, 10:19:15 AMI found a MLP discography online, and the first release using 35mm by catalog number is SR-90245, Fennel and the Eastman Wind Ensemble playing a program of Gabrieli. Recording date 5/6/1961. After that releases were a mix of 35mm and conventional tape recordings. I guess they didn't have enough equipment to make all recordings using their 35mm machine.

https://mercury.lacyway.com

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rgwya6v7u7dqa1/Mercury%20Stereo%20LPs%20-%20SR-90200%20-%20SR-90299.pdf?e=1&dl=0

Thank you for the information!  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 12, 2024, 07:49:58 AMLol,

Interesting theory!  I'm not finding much information about that specific recording (There are some fun *anecdotes by Janis which I'll share including Wilma Cozart smartly bringing the fixings for peanut butter sandwiches from the US.  Apparently, there was never any food available in Moscow after 10 p.m.!)

From the booklet:

"Another important technical advance for the Living Presence catalogue was the addition of 35mm magnetic film technology to the Mercury sound.  It was Bob Fine who encouraged its use by the Living Presence team.  Naturally attracted to the new medium because of his film recording background, Fine regarded 35mm magnetic film as a significant breakthrough because it made possible greater clarity, dynamic range and transient response than conventional tape and virtually eliminated tape hiss."

There is a hybrid SACD version of this album too (which I don't own).  Wonder how it sounds?  And would be interested to read the liner notes; might be some information there.

*Another one:  "Right after finishing the Prokofiev tape, Mercury gave it to a friend to rush to New York for safekeeping.  At the Customs at the Moscow airport, he was asked by an understandably suspicious officer:  'What is that large tape you are carrying?'  'The Prokofiev Third Piano Concerto,' was our friend's instant and unflinching reply.  The official looked him in the eye, looked down at the tape, and with no hint of disbelief, amazingly let him pass without a word."

PD

I would also be interested how it sounds on vinyl too. I have a US Mercury pressing of Janis playing the two Liszt PC's recorded in Moscow on 35mm tape. I will give it a spin and report back.

Interesting that far as I'm aware only one other label took up the option of recording on 35mm tape.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 13, 2024, 12:27:20 AMI would also be interested how it sounds on vinyl too. I have a US Mercury pressing of Janis playing the two Liszt PC's recorded in Moscow on 35mm tape. I will give it a spin and report back.

Interesting that far as I'm aware only one other label took up the option of recording on 35mm tape.
Which label was that Irons?

By the way, I did a tiny bit of digging around in my hard-to-access LPs and found out that I own this (and apparently even cleaned it in the past too!).  Will give it a listen to a bit later today.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Irons

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 13, 2024, 08:00:44 AMWhich label was that Irons?

By the way, I did a tiny bit of digging around in my hard-to-access LPs and found out that I own this (and apparently even cleaned it in the past too!).  Will give it a listen to a bit later today.

PD

Either my brain would burst or I would remember. Thankfully Command Classics! Everest did some too but it was Command I was thinking of.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Irons on March 13, 2024, 08:22:58 AMEither my brain would burst or I would remember. Thankfully Command Classics! Everest did some too but it was Command I was thinking of.
;D

Too nice out today...need to go for a walk.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Cato

Quote from: George on March 12, 2024, 05:40:12 AMJanis/Dorati is my overall favorite Rach 3.

For Rach 2, Richter/Wislocki is my favorite.

Byron Janis was always a fave!

I had this RCA recording, a "Living Presence" release:

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on March 13, 2024, 08:56:01 AMByron Janis was always a fave!

I had this RCA recording, a "Living Presence" release:

Oh, nice!  I haven't heard that recording before.  Will have to do some digging and see if I can find a way to listen to it.

I'll have to listen to more of Janis' recordings too.

PD
Pohjolas Daughter

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Jo498

RIP! I wouldn't have thought that he was still alive! Didn't know that he was married to Gary Cooper's daughter either.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Cato

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on March 17, 2024, 01:46:50 PMByron Janis Dies at 95.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/music-news/byron-janis-dead-pianist-1235854358/

What a coincidence, since we have been discussing his performances here! 

Quote from: Jo498 on March 17, 2024, 01:56:09 PMRIP! I wouldn't have thought that he was still alive! Didn't know that he was married to Gary Cooper's daughter either.

No, I had no idea. 

She must be c. 87, as sources claim she was born in 1937.

Pohjolas Daughter

Pohjolas Daughter

Cato

Quote from: Pohjolas Daughter on March 13, 2024, 08:00:44 AMWhich label was that Irons?

PD

An article about Byron Janis said that the 1960's Leningrad recording of Chopin's Piano Sonata #2 is absolutely "hair-raising."

It is available here:

https://www.byronjanislive.com/merch/live-from-leningrad-1960-wy4tc

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: Cato on March 18, 2024, 06:36:57 AMAn article about Byron Janis said that the 1960's Leningrad recording of Chopin's Piano Sonata #2 is absolutely "hair-raising."

It is available here:

https://www.byronjanislive.com/merch/live-from-leningrad-1960-wy4tc

Thanks!  I'll check it out.  :)

PD
Pohjolas Daughter