The Art of Fugue

Started by The Mad Hatter, May 23, 2007, 12:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

No, they have chosen to play the chorales which don't make use of pedals on a harpsichord. They're not the first to do this, there's also a recording with Alena Vesela and Zuzana Ruzickova.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on December 23, 2019, 12:45:01 AM
No, they have chosen to play the chorales which don't make use of pedals on a harpsichord. They're not the first to do this, there's also a recording with Alena Vesela and Zuzana Ruzickova.

Incidently I received this with the post three days ago. I also own the Peretti/Kuper, but at the moment I have a large pile of CÜ III's in my CDs to be listened to queue.

J P Brosse also plays the manualiter pieces on harpsichord in his recording of CÜ III.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Selig

First post here. I need to bulk up on harpsichord and organ recordings of the AoF, I've decided I've acquired enough piano versions!

Anyone heard this? Used to be on Funck's official website (I think)

[asin]B001NY6ZZ6[/asin]

I tried finding it again but it seems to have been wiped off the face of the earth

milk

How many times did Leonhardt record Art of the Fugue?
I was listening to an early one, on a not so great sounding harpsichord. Is there another?

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on April 27, 2020, 09:45:59 PM
How many times did Leonhardt record Art of the Fugue?
I was listening to an early one, on a not so great sounding harpsichord. Is there another?

Twice, first one on a revival harpsichord, second one on an authentic harpsichord. The second one is well worth hearing.

premont

Quote from: Selig on April 06, 2020, 03:29:48 AM
First post here. I need to bulk up on harpsichord and organ recordings of the AoF, I've decided I've acquired enough piano versions!

Anyone heard this? Used to be on Funck's official website (I think)

[asin]B001NY6ZZ6[/asin]

Yes, it's one of the most stiff and uninteresting versions I have heard (among ca. 30 harpsichord versions). But if you want to hear it again, I may upload it to you, when I get my stationary PC home from service.

BTW Welcome among us. :)
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on April 28, 2020, 01:43:24 AM
Twice, first one on a revival harpsichord, second one on an authentic harpsichord. The second one is well worth hearing.

More than that. I find it to be one of the best of its kind.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: (: premont :) on April 28, 2020, 03:48:58 AM
More than that. I find it to be one of the best of its kind.

Je suis la preuve vivante que le flegme britannique n'est pas une légende.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on April 28, 2020, 04:02:06 AM
Je suis la preuve vivante que le flegme britannique n'est pas une légende.

D'un point de vue statistique, cette affirmation est peut-être un peu incertain.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on April 28, 2020, 01:43:24 AM
Hmm...I see the first one readily available. The second is scarce. Why does it have to be this way?!?  >:( :o
But the first one is also kind of interesting. But that keyboard is no good even considering it's from the 50s.
ETA Scratch that! I found it on a DHM compendium recording streaming on Amazon.

milk

The second AOF by Leonhardt is extraordinary. I'm not sure I can say what it is. There's an overall effect to his playing. There's the character of each fugue. Some have maybe said egoless-ness. I find the whole thing mesmerizing.
I still don't really have a piano version that makes me stand up and clap my hands like this (my wife is calling Bellevue).

Mandryka

At the same time as the 1968 AoF, he made a set of Scarlatti recordings for DHM - well worth checking out if you like the AoF. I think that the styles of performance have something in common.

Ratliff

The "second one" is this?

Mandryka

Ratliff

Quote from: Mandryka on April 28, 2020, 11:35:22 PM
Yes.

I'm intrigued, but it is a bit of a wild-goose-chase release.

milk

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on April 30, 2020, 07:25:46 AM
I'm intrigued, but it is a bit of a wild-goose-chase release.
I found it streaming on amazon as something called "Gustav Leonhardt Plays Bach," (which includes his WTC recordings and other stuff too). It's pretty great. 

Ratliff

Quote from: milk on May 02, 2020, 04:59:10 AM
I found it streaming on amazon as something called "Gustav Leonhardt Plays Bach," (which includes his WTC recordings and other stuff too). It's pretty great.

Great tip, GLPB is also available as a lossless download from presto. $16 for all 10 discs with, $45 if you want just AoF.  ???

I'm not a streamer, maybe I'll spring for it.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Uncharacteristically intense performance from Belder. Were the microphones too/very close to the instrument? The Troeger rendition sounds good, especially in autumn.

staxomega

I've been listening to Celimene Daudet a good amount, this is one of the finest performances I've heard on piano. Her dynamic range is not eccentric and sounds beautifully natural. She just lets the music unfold on its own.

Mandryka

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on September 21, 2020, 08:20:45 AM
Uncharacteristically intense performance from Belder. Were the microphones too/very close to the instrument?

It seems OK to me. I think it's a valuable recording especially for the CU 3 and Ricercars, but the AoF is a perfectly respectable harpsichord interpretation, mainstream, lyrical and none the worse for being so.