The Art of Fugue

Started by The Mad Hatter, May 23, 2007, 12:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FideLeo

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on September 25, 2007, 04:25:34 AM
You don't think the word of a world class composer (perhaps the best we had this side of the century) isn't worth something?  ;D

Koroliov's Art of Fugue is otherworldly. Suffer not the heathen.  >:(

Evangelism Koroliov, isn't it?   ;D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

DavidW

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on September 25, 2007, 04:28:30 AM
Try Emerson. I know they usually get a bad rap from me but their style seems to land very well for this piece. They are much more agile then Keller and their texture if very clear as well.

Okey doke, I'll check 'em out. :)

orange

I'm looking for a transcription of the art of fugue for a string quartet. I cant find it anywhere. can anyone help me?

I would like to play this work in clarinet quartet. Do you think we should play it in original tonalities or should be ok to be played in Bb?

thanks for advice

Opus106

Quote from: orange on July 07, 2008, 07:05:09 AM
I'm looking for a transcription of the art of fugue for a string quartet. I cant find it anywhere.

Huh? The Emerson SQ version is the top-selling CD of the ensemble on Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Bach-The-Art-of-Fugue/dp/B00008O8B3/ref=wl_itt_dp?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1VDENXC0WP1Y9&colid=I7682ALB5LG2
Regards,
Navneeth

Szykneij

Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

scarpia

Although probably intended to be playable on a keyboard, Bach's original edition was written in score form, so I don't think a string quartet version would be any easier to transcribe for clarinet quartet than the original.  Mainly you would have to deal with the transposition.  One transcription for string quartet by Robert Simpson and recorded by the Delme quartet transposes the entire work to better suite the ranges of the string instruments, so transposition would not without president.  The original is in d minor, so presumably you'd want to transpose to the relative minor of B flat, or g-minor.

Opus106

Please accept my apology.
Regards,
Navneeth

orange

Quote from: scarpia on July 07, 2008, 08:29:46 AM
Although probably intended to be playable on a keyboard, Bach's original edition was written in score form, so I don't think a string quartet version would be any easier to transcribe for clarinet quartet than the original.  Mainly you would have to deal with the transposition.  One transcription for string quartet by Robert Simpson and recorded by the Delme quartet transposes the entire work to better suite the ranges of the string instruments, so transposition would not without president.  The original is in d minor, so presumably you'd want to transpose to the relative minor of B flat, or g-minor.

I'm asking if it's weird, if we just take the score for string quartet, so it would sound c-minor and not d-minor.

I dont understand want you mean with that I should transpose it to g-minor? why to g-minor, because of the range of clarinet?

Or should sound like original in d-minor?

scarpia

Quote from: orange on July 07, 2008, 12:37:14 PM
I'm asking if it's weird, if we just take the score for string quartet, so it would sound c-minor and not d-minor.

I dont understand want you mean with that I should transpose it to g-minor? why to g-minor, because of the range of clarinet?

Or should sound like original in d-minor?
You are the one who said you want to transcribe into the key of B-flat.  I'm just pointing out that the piece is in minor key and the relative minor of B-flat is g-minor.  Of course if you interpret the score as a part of B-flat clarinet it will sound in c-minor instead of d-minor.

orange

Quote from: scarpia on July 07, 2008, 12:51:50 PM
You are the one who said you want to transcribe into the key of B-flat.  I'm just pointing out that the piece is in minor key and the relative minor of B-flat is g-minor.  Of course if you interpret the score as a part of B-flat clarinet it will sound in c-minor instead of d-minor.

I just asking you guys, what do you think. Should it sound in original d-minor or it doesnt matter if it sounds in c-minor or even g-minor.. 0:)

Don

Quote from: orange on July 07, 2008, 07:05:09 AM

I would like to play this work in clarinet quartet.

Why? 

scarpia

Quote from: orange on July 07, 2008, 01:24:16 PM
I just asking you guys, what do you think. Should it sound in original d-minor or it doesnt matter if it sounds in c-minor or even g-minor.. 0:)

It will sound best in whatever key you can play it in.

FideLeo

Quote from: orange on July 07, 2008, 01:24:16 PM

Bach would have approved of transpositions if he had to re-score the work (he did exactly that many times).
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: scarpia on July 07, 2008, 01:47:38 PM
It will sound best in whatever key you can play it in.

F# major?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

scarpia

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: scarpia on July 08, 2008, 06:06:56 PM
I'm assuming you meant to type d# minor

I was making a joke, caro barone.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

scarpia

Quote from: Sforzando on July 08, 2008, 07:41:57 PM
I was making a joke, caro barone.

So was I, it was almost as funny as yours.

premont

Quote from: scarpia on July 08, 2008, 08:04:49 PM
So was I, it was almost as funny as yours.

No, Sf´s joke was a Major joke. ;D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Josquin des Prez

They were both pretty sharp though.

Valentino

I like Fretworks' recording. Even if they don't do it on keyboards.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma