The Art of Fugue

Started by The Mad Hatter, May 23, 2007, 12:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mad Hatter

Ok, what I'm specifically looking for is an Art of Fugue that's been completed well, preferably recorded on piano. Apparently Joe Grucock did an excellent completion, but I don't think there's a recording available.

Anyone any reccomendations?

premont

Some organists (Walcha, Rogg and Fergusson) and one harpsichordist (Moroney) have recorded the AoF including their "completed" version of the Fuga a 4 sogetti, but as far as I know, no pianist has done this.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

The Mad Hatter

Really? Darn.

Any reccomendations for best organ recording, then?

premont

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on May 24, 2007, 12:21:35 PM
Really? Darn.

Any reccomendations for best organ recording, then?

Yes, Walcha (DG Archive) available separately om 2 CD´s including some other Choral-free works. A magnificent passionate interpretation.

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Art-Fugue-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000M05VMU/ref=sr_1_4/002-3853430-3337623?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180040952&sr=1-4

His recording of the completed Fuga a 3 sogetti is only released as a part of the 12 CD stereo integral (also containing the AoF - same recording as above Alkmaar 1956).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bach-Organ-Works-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B00004SAAX/ref=pd_bowtega_2/203-0548657-6729513?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1180041263&sr=1-2
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Que

Hope a recommendation on harpsichord is OK too? :)

My absolute favourite: Robert Hill.

Q

P.S. I'm not in the know on this, but word has it that on the piano Koroliov's interpretation is the one to go for.
But you'd better consult Don on this matter! :)

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on May 24, 2007, 10:34:47 PM
Hope a recommendation on harpsichord is OK too? :)

My absolute favourite: Robert Hill.

Q

Andre Isoir on Calliope is very interesting as well on a (baroque style) organ.

P.S. I'm not in the know on this, but word has it that on the piano Koroliov's interpretation is the one to go for.
But you'd better consult Don on this matter! :)

I have this and can confirm the piano sound is well recorded.  The interpretation is not terribly dynamic to me, but then, as a card-carrying member of the Harpsichord Brigade (see below), I am happy to be biased in this aspect.  ;D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Don

On piano, my favored versions come from Koroliov, Nikolayeva, Sokolov and Rosen.  Just as fine is Gould's recording where he plays both piano and organ.

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Don on May 25, 2007, 02:18:46 AM
On piano, my favored versions come from Koroliov, Nikolayeva, Sokolov and Rosen.  Just as fine is Gould's recording where he plays both piano and organ.

Yeah, but he doesn't play all of it. Plus there's that stop where Bach went and died - I'd actually really like to hear a complete version, even if it's not all his. If you'll forgive my desire for a cadence.

Don

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on May 27, 2007, 05:07:35 AM
Yeah, but he doesn't play all of it. Plus there's that stop where Bach went and died - I'd actually really like to hear a complete version, even if it's not all his. If you'll forgive my desire for a cadence.

Yes, he died without completing the work.  I can live with that, and I don't need someone else completing it.

Bogey

I am still "slicing" through this set, which contains probably more than you need, but for as low as $5 a disc from some sellers, you will not be disappointed.

Don,
Please look for PM.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

The Mad Hatter

Quote from: Don on May 27, 2007, 09:24:20 AM
Yes, he died without completing the work.  I can live with that, and I don't need someone else completing it.

I don't 'need' it either, but I do think it's very interesting to hear the 'might-have-beens', especially if they do give the piece a real sense of wholeness.

I hope you can forgive that.

Josquin des Prez

Koriolov's Art of Fugue is a tough act to beat. One of the very best recordings ever made, of every kind. 

For Harpsichord, i like Gilbert, who seems to really excel when playing Bach (not a big fan of everything else he has done), and for Organ, Walcha.

I also have a cool string quartet version by Keller, an orchestral version by Hermann Scherchen and one by Canadian Brass. As soon as i can get some extra cash together i also plan on buying the Savall, which is long over-due for me.

As you can see, lot's of excellent choices for this work...

Don

Quote from: The Mad Hatter on May 27, 2007, 04:30:56 PM
I don't 'need' it either, but I do think it's very interesting to hear the 'might-have-beens', especially if they do give the piece a real sense of wholeness.

I hope you can forgive that.

Sure.  I was just stating my preference.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: masolino on May 24, 2007, 11:39:59 PM
The interpretation is not terribly dynamic to me

Koroliov's Art of Fugue was Ligeti's desert Island disc. You can't get a higher pedegree than that. Repent, now.  >:(

FideLeo

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on September 24, 2007, 09:10:49 PM
Koroliov's Art of Fugue was Ligeti's desert Island disc. You can't get a higher pedegree than that. Repent, now.  >:(

Yes but Art of Fugue wasn't even composed by Ligeti....pedigree?   ???
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

DavidW

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 27, 2007, 06:28:41 PM
I also have a cool string quartet version by Keller,

I really tried to get into the Keller Quartet recording, but I think it just sounds dull to me.  Maybe I just really like it to be played on keyboard.

DavidW

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: masolino on September 24, 2007, 09:46:45 PM
Yes but Art of Fugue wasn't even composed by Ligeti ???

You don't think the word of a world class composer (perhaps the best we had this side of the century) isn't worth something?  ;D

Koroliov's Art of Fugue is otherworldly. Suffer not the heathen.  >:(

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: DavidW on September 25, 2007, 03:07:12 AM
I really tried to get into the Keller Quartet recording, but I think it just sounds dull to me.  Maybe I just really like it to be played on keyboard.

Try Emerson. I know they usually get a bad rap from me but their style seems to land very well for this piece. They are much more agile then Keller and their texture if very clear as well.

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: TheJoe on September 24, 2007, 09:04:50 PM
What is with the extra few bars at the end of the unfinished fugue on the Sokolov recording?  I don't see those in any score of mine, and it sure isn't a completion since it still doesn't end on a cadence... ???

(Sorry to dig up a dead thread, but I didn't want to start a new one just for this question.)

Forget about the completition. Bach didn't finish the piece, and that's that. Story over.