The Art of Fugue

Started by The Mad Hatter, May 23, 2007, 12:37:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

My understanding of the musicological issues is that it is definitely a keyboard work. Nonetheless, my all-time favorite recording is the chamber-orchestra arrangement by William Malloch on Sheffield CDs known as "The Art of Fuguing." Not to be missed.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

czgirb

Please recommend me a recordings to hear ...
Thank you

Scarpia

Although some consider the organ the only appropriate instrument for performing this work, I like the Emerson quartet.

[asin]B00008O8B3[/asin]

Bulldog

Glenn Gould - Piano/Organ/Sony
Evgeni Koroliov - Piano/Tacet
Tatiana Nikolayeva - Piano/Hyperion
Kenneth Gilbert - Harpsichord/Archiv
Davitt Moroney - Harpsichord/Harmonia Mundi
Robert Hill - Harpsichord/Hanssler
Gustav Leonhardt - Harpsichord/Vanguard
Rinaldo Alessandrini/Concerto Italiano - Opus 111/Naive
Jordi Savall/Hesperion XX - Astree/Alia Vox
Walter Riemer - Fortepiano/Eroica
Gerhard Weinberger - Organ/CPO
Sergio Vartolo - Harpsichord/Naxos
Bradley Brookshire - Harpsichord/Bach Harsichord Inc.

Although a rather long list, it could be much longer.  My top pick is Kenneth Gilbert, but all the others are mighty fine.

If you provide a few preference features, I could shorten the list.

Bulldog

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 11, 2011, 03:26:28 PM
Although some consider the organ the only appropriate instrument for performing this work, I like the Emerson quartet.

[asin]B00008O8B3[/asin]

A fine choice, although I think czgirb should be aware that the Emerson is a modern strings outfit.

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on March 11, 2011, 03:39:42 PM
A fine choice, although I think czgirb should be aware that the Emerson is a modern strings outfit.

Since Bach did not write the piece for strings, I consider modern strings no less appropriate than period strings.   0:)

Scarpia

Quote from: Bulldog on March 11, 2011, 03:35:11 PM
Glenn Gould - Piano/Organ/Sony
Evgeni Koroliov - Piano/Tacet
Tatiana Nikolayeva - Piano/Hyperion
Kenneth Gilbert - Harpsichord/Archiv
Davitt Moroney - Harpsichord/Harmonia Mundi
Robert Hill - Harpsichord/Hanssler
Gustav Leonhardt - Harpsichord/Vanguard
Rinaldo Alessandrini/Concerto Italiano - Opus 111/Naive
Jordi Savall/Hesperion XX - Astree/Alia Vox
Walter Riemer - Fortepiano/Eroica
Gerhard Weinberger - Organ/CPO
Sergio Vartolo - Harpsichord/Naxos
Bradley Brookshire - Harpsichord/Bach Harsichord Inc.

Although a rather long list, it could be much longer.  My top pick is Kenneth Gilbert, but all the others are mighty fine.

If you provide a few preference features, I could shorten the list.

I would get that it it weren't so out of print.

Bulldog

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 11, 2011, 03:41:04 PM
Since Bach did not write the piece for strings, I consider modern strings no less appropriate than period strings.   0:)

Understood.  I just much prefer period strings for baroque pieces.

Bulldog

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 11, 2011, 03:41:58 PM
I would get that it it weren't so out of print.

The Alessandrini is a special order at ArkivMusic, but my experiences with special orders are not very successful.

Antoine Marchand

Talking about "alternative" versions, Münchinger and his Stuttgarter Kammerorchester are a top choice, too.

Scarpia

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on March 11, 2011, 04:01:54 PM
Talking about "alternative" versions, Münchinger and his Stuttgarter Kammerorchester are a top choice, too.

I have that too, but it is the only instance I can recall of preferring the Marriner version of something.

[asin]B0000041A6[/asin]

But the most interesting is the version by Roger Vuatez, performed by Scherchen leading the Orchester des Radios Beromünster, recorded November, 1949 and released by Decca (I have the vinyl).

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

czgirb

Quote from: Opus106 on March 11, 2011, 07:52:18 PM
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,1044

Before I made the thread, I've tried to search "Art of Fugue" ... but NONE appeared ... that's why I made the thread.
Thank you for the guidance and for people who tried to recommends a recording to me.

Art of Fugue ... in Strings? What a surprise ... I think it's for Harpsichord/Organ only.
Thank you for your recommendation ... it's worth for giving it a try ...

Mandryka

Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov Koroliov
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

If not Koroliov, the  two I've enjoyed  most over the years is Reinhard Goebel's and Scherchen's first recording.

I've also enjoyed Marriner (rather edgy), Berlin Saxaphone Quartet  and Savall. And Scherchen's

On the whole I have tended to avoid piano or harpsichord versions == I find that there's not enough variety. Gould however is extremely good in the late  recordings -- Contapunctus 13 and 14.

Koroliov was a real revelation -- a sort of miracle of articulation: somehow he manages to find a medium between staccato and legato. And a miracle of dynamic control -- he's very memorable at building climaxes. Maybe the pianists here could tell me what piano he's playing -- I suspect it's just a Steinway 88, but he makes it sound very right for the music.

I have some others which I have never really got into for one reason or another: Sokolov, Macgregor, Walcha  and Aimard. But I need to give them more time --  Aimard especially has always sounded interested on brief sampling -- but I've never gotten round to sustained critical listening.

Mandryka

Quote from: Il Barone Scarpia on March 11, 2011, 04:20:05 PM

But the most interesting is the version by Roger Vuatez, performed by Scherchen leading the Orchester des Radios Beromünster, recorded November, 1949 and released by Decca (I have the vinyl).

Yes superb, and  in outstanding sound on a Tahra CD. It really is one of the great Bach recordings I think.

Scherchen recorded his own orchestration too -- premiered in Lugano in 1965. There's a CD of the event. I haven't really done the groundwork yet to justify this, but I suspect that Scherchen's orchestration was very influential. I'd be surprised if Marriner and Savals and Goebel were't influenced stongly by Scheren's work/

Also there's a DVD of Scherchen rehearsing it in 1965 (on VAI) which I've never seen -- this thread has prompted me to place the order!

Other fun oldies are Winograd's and Ristenpart's, which are available in amateur transfers from symphonyshare, so you've got no excuse not to try.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on March 11, 2011, 09:32:36 PM
On the whole I have tended to avoid piano or harpsichord versions == I find that there's not enough variety.

But the Art of Fugue is about musical variety - which it has got in abundance.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Quote from: aulos on March 12, 2011, 12:15:00 AM

I meant colour really. It's the range of colours which you get from organ and from orchestrated versions which I find very attractive. Harpsichord and piano are sometimes hard work, austere, tutonnic and ultimately too tiring for little me.

Having said that I enjoyed Koroliov a lot so maybe it's time for me to revisit some keyboard versions.

FideLeo

Quote from: aulos on March 12, 2011, 12:15:00 AM

It's musical variety in a fairly strict uniform - all cpti are in d minor, etc.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Que

Quote from: czgirb on March 11, 2011, 08:50:32 PM
Before I made the thread, I've tried to search "Art of Fugue" ... but NONE appeared ... that's why I made the thread.

When you are doing a search for a thread, make sure that you:

1) first go to the home page, or else only the thread you are in is being searched.
2) tick the box that says "Search in topic subjects only"

Anyway, you have arrived on the right thread! :) On harpsichord I love Robert Hill:

[asin]B00000JNK9[/asin]

Q