Tatiana Nikolayeva's Bach

Started by Herman, January 03, 2009, 12:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: ezodisy on January 05, 2009, 11:34:15 PM
Talking about pianists and recordings you hadn't even heard of......

I wouldn't exactly be accusing anybody ELSE of that if I were you. I've lost count of the times you've criticized me for a recording yet you've never even heard it yourself.

Latest example:

Quote from: donwyn on July 29, 2008, 05:49:35 PM

Tony, give a guy a break and at least hear a recording before leveling criticism. :P 

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

ezodisy

Quote from: donwyn on January 06, 2009, 06:42:51 AM
I wouldn't exactly be accusing anybody ELSE of that if I were you. I've lost count of the times you've criticized me for a recording yet you've never even heard it yourself.

Latest example:

where was that from?

not sure why you would have lost count. it might have happened a couple of times, no more. But you are welcome to add them up yourself, if you can.

karlhenning

Quote from: James on January 04, 2009, 11:30:13 AM
ANYWAY, unlike the 2 recent contributors here whom don't offer anything. . . .

You mean who not whom.

(Just saying.)

karlhenning

Quote from: Herman on January 03, 2009, 12:02:45 PM
Last night, as I was packing our suitcases for the homeward journey I switched on the radio and found a Valencia classical music station.

Even as I was violating Rule #1 (never touch your wife's underwear in any circumstances) they were broadcasting a beautiful piano version of JS Bach's 3 part Inventions. On the piano. But not Gouldishly controversial.

Turned out it was Tatiana Nikoleyeva  -  best known for her Shostakovich recordings . . . .

Shostakovich heard Nikolayeva play at the International Bach Competition in Leipzig in July of 1950, which was probably the driver behind the Opus 87.

prémont

Quote from: karlhenning on January 06, 2009, 08:58:03 AM
You mean who not whom.

(Just saying.)

I would rather like to know whom he meant.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Herman

Quote from: karlhenning on January 06, 2009, 11:09:53 AM
8)

god it's cold out here.

James, I got an earlier recording. Going by the DSCH recordings the Hyperions don't seem to to add much.

karlhenning

Quote from: James on January 06, 2009, 11:39:51 AM
Shosta's op.87 is patchy imo (doesn't matter who plays it) and it ain't JSB that's for sure.

This being a thread about Bach, I'll take this elsewhere.

bassio

Quote from: James on January 04, 2009, 11:30:13 AM
ANYWAY, unlike the 2 recent contributors here whom don't offer anything, I did recommend Nikoleyeva's recording of the Art of Fugue which is very good, though even with that work, I prefer Gould...whom was a genius and one the top pianists of the 20th century.

And I'll throw a Sokolov here James.

prémont

Quote from: bassio on January 06, 2009, 03:45:16 PM
And I'll throw a Sokolov here James.

Next issue in this thread must be a discussion about romantic interpretations of The Art of Fugue:
Who offers the most romantic version, Sokolov or Nikolayeva?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

haydnguy

Quote from: James on January 06, 2009, 08:59:04 AM
you're welcome herman, and you're welcome for the Nikoleyeva rec. I gave you (pictured below), make sure you check that out, it's a good one have.

I have that one in my modest collection and have enjoyed it very much!!

Bulldog

Quote from: James on January 06, 2009, 11:39:51 AM
Her Hyperion Bach recording is very good Herman, and I would suggest that you don't go by your Shosta recordings from her. Shosta's op.87 is patchy imo (doesn't matter who plays it) and it ain't JSB that's for sure.

I don't compare Bach's WTC to Shostakovich's Op. 87; don't see any point to it.  I love both cycles.