I miss M Forever ...

Started by Mark, May 23, 2007, 02:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark

Think, feel or say whatever you will about the opinionated old curmudgeon who used to call himself M Forever, but he made some damned fine CD recommendations. This being one of them (my copy has a different cover, incidentally):

Stravinsky: Rite Of Spring

I originally got the Muti/Philadelphia Orchestra recording on his (and, I think, others') recommendation, and I liked it. But this recording, for me at least, outclasses the Muti. Sensitively played, with dynamics that spring effortlessly from the delicate to the bold (and appropriately startling) and back again, this is a beautiful (and beautifully captured) recording.

Applause, please, for Maestro M.

Que

Mark,

During your absence there was already a short but hefty discussion on M forever and the pros and cons of his possible return.

Q

Harry

Yes, so we should lay it at rest my friend. :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mark on May 23, 2007, 02:36:20 PM
Applause, please, for Maestro M.

You have a short memory, Mark. Bruce was the first on your Rite thread to recommend that CD, and then I did. M forever was the third in line praising that CD...as did many others afterwards. I don't understand why M gets all the credit here.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mark

Sarge, you're absolutely right!

My apologies to you and to all who recommended this recording before M did ... and no hard feelings (I hope). :)

karlhenning

Absence makes the heart grow fonder . . . .

david johnson

Bunny

This place is a lot less interesting since his departure, especially in the Diner.  He was our own unique brand of Sour Power.

I think his biggest fault was his intolerance of those whose thoughts weren't as well formed or developed as his own; he didn't tolerate fools or stupidity at all.  I felt like I took my life in my hands sparring with him, but if I could score a point it was exhilarating.

jochanaan

M's knowledge and opinions were very impressive, but I can do without the personal attacks he directed to me more than once. >:(
Imagination + discipline = creativity

Bunny

I wonder what he would have made of obverse flutes?  Perhaps, obverse idiots? >:D

Dancing Divertimentian

CAN WE PLEASE DROP THIS??!??

Other GMGers are just as capable of recommending fine recordings as the M man.

Just read them, folks!!!!!!

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

karlhenning

BachQ

M Forever was dialectical .........

Mark

Sarge has pointed out my error, so the subject is officially closed.

Thanks for stopping by. ;)