The ARDITTI String Quartet

Started by snyprrr, January 08, 2009, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Outstanding Beethoven playing here - my favourite op 133, maybe.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

snyprrr

Quote from: torut on November 17, 2014, 09:06:15 PM
Pandora's Box
[asin]B00NBE64KC[/asin]

audio: https://www.col-legno.com/en/catalog/complete_catalog/pandoras_box

Rebecca Saunders - Fletch (2012)
Benedict Mason - String Quartet No. 2 (1993)
Luke Bedford - Wonderful Four-Headed Nightingale (2013)
John Zorn - Pandora's Box (2013) with soprano (Sarah Maria Sun)

I was mostly interested in Zorn's piece (stylistically more conventional in line with the tradition of Schoenberg) and Saunders's (intense, like typical avant-garde piece), but I also greatly enjoyed the works of the composers I had not heard of before. Mason's piece contains diverse musical elements, fun to listen to. Bedford's piece is beautiful and most accessible. I was a little surprised to hear Arditti Quartet playing such romantic melodies.

Ah, my beloved Arditti Thread! So, this is their new offering? (sigh) Sure, it looks interesting- but I've been quite chilly towards their releases of... wow, the past many years now... besides those 2nd Cycles (Dusapin, Harvey, Ferneyhough, Lachenmann), none of the ... err... younger generation's names strike any interest in me at all. AND- most of those recital CDs only have one SQ, with other chamber pieces, rather than a disc devoted wholly to SQs.

I mean,... Adrian Jack?... eh... why?... who?.... huh?...

THOUGH- I can't think of any Composer I'd like to hear them cover. Maybe a new Carter Cycle? (but that's not what I mean- what unrecorded rep is there?)

Quote from: amw on November 17, 2014, 09:16:47 PM
I heard that on Qobuz when it came out. I think Benedict Mason's piece was my favourite actually—I have his 1st string quartet (also played by the Ardittis, in an earlier incarnation) on a cd. Also, Sarah Maria Sun is insanely good. Zorn after 1990ish is not my cuppa, but damn.

I too liked the first Mason SQ, - I remember that funny CD, 'California Composers'- wow, talk about hit-and-miss... but still sorta fun... (it was my most hated Arditti disc for a while)...

Quote from: Mandryka on November 17, 2014, 09:17:35 PM

Outstanding Beethoven playing here - my favourite op 133, maybe.

The first time I heard Xenakis- HATED IT!! :laugh:

But that is suuuch a Classic Album in every respect. It's like 'Library of Congress' perfect- museum- it's a little difficult tracing their Discography at this time- Henze/Wergo... what else? (the 2nd Grammavison disc with Bartok 4 (awful awful)/Gubaidulina/Schnittke 2)... the very first Montaigne discs...

ahhhh... those were the days for me, yea buddy! ;)... I'm basking in 1993 as I reflect... early '90s were The Shit for High Modernism... (cue hippy music)... duuuuude.... woah... wtf Is this?... awesome!!...

torut

Quote from: snyprrr on November 18, 2014, 08:00:18 AM
Ah, my beloved Arditti Thread! So, this is their new offering? (sigh) Sure, it looks interesting- but I've been quite chilly towards their releases of... wow, the past many years now... besides those 2nd Cycles (Dusapin, Harvey, Ferneyhough, Lachenmann), none of the ... err... younger generation's names strike any interest in me at all. AND- most of those recital CDs only have one SQ, with other chamber pieces, rather than a disc devoted wholly to SQs.

I mean,... Adrian Jack?... eh... why?... who?.... huh?...

THOUGH- I can't think of any Composer I'd like to hear them cover. Maybe a new Carter Cycle? (but that's not what I mean- what unrecorded rep is there?)
None of younger composers? How about Dillon, Manoury, Abrahamsen, or Casablancas? Haas? (I have not heard his SQs yet.)

I liked most of Arditti Quartet albums, but Pintscher and Cerha did not leave strong impressions. Maybe re-listening is needed. I have not heard Hosokawa's works they recorded recently.

I think the compositions in that Pandora's Box album are a little different from Arditti Quartet's typical repertory (modernism, complexity, abstract), and John Zorn is not a composer I usually associate with Arditti Quartet. I wonder if the group is going to change the direction or widening its range ... ?

snyprrr

Quote from: torut on November 18, 2014, 11:56:54 PM
None of younger composers? How about Dillon, Manoury, Abrahamsen, or Casablancas? Haas? (I have not heard his SQs yet.)

I liked most of Arditti Quartet albums, but Pintscher and Cerha did not leave strong impressions. Maybe re-listening is needed. I have not heard Hosokawa's works they recorded recently.

I think the compositions in that Pandora's Box album are a little different from Arditti Quartet's typical repertory (modernism, complexity, abstract), and John Zorn is not a composer I usually associate with Arditti Quartet. I wonder if the group is going to change the direction or widening its range ... ?

I'm not considering those cats as "younger",... Pintscher IS young, but, for some reason, I'm giving him the Pass, even though that Arditti disc wasn't all that to me,...

No, look at some of those recent Mode discs that have one SQ with a bunch of other Chamber Music,... all seemingly politically correct academics in their 30s (yes, I'm over-generalizing, but,...)...

Just off the top off my head, here are some considerations:

Manoury
Aperghis
Boulez
(I'll also admit that they HAVE covered their bases pretty well... not many holes here, eh?)
de Pablo
Rihm (more, please!!)

Yea, I'm probably just being difficult... they've done well, but I just haven't seen the need in getting ANY of their discs after that Rihm 12(10?). Well, uh, no, that Ferneyhough is obviously a monstrous achievement- - it's ok, Arditti discs are usually pretty expen$$$ive...

Everyone should hear their Schoenberg! ;) 3-4

torut

I know only very few composers in their 30s. I think Dai Fujikura's Flare is very good but yes it's just one SQ in the album.

The Ferneyhough set is very good. That and Xenaxis are my favorite Arditti Quartet albums. I like their recordings of Cage's quartet a lot (and not SQ but Freeman Etude by Arditti, too.) Carter, Berg, Nono are all excellent. Schoenberg albums are no longer available? I regret I didn't purchase many of Montaigne discs when they were easily available.

Mandryka

Quote from: snyprrr on November 19, 2014, 08:54:40 AM
I'm not considering those cats as "younger",... Pintscher IS young, but, for some reason, I'm giving him the Pass, even though that Arditti disc wasn't all that to me,...

No, look at some of those recent Mode discs that have one SQ with a bunch of other Chamber Music,... all seemingly politically correct academics in their 30s (yes, I'm over-generalizing, but,...)...

Just off the top off my head, here are some considerations:

Manoury
Aperghis
Boulez
(I'll also admit that they HAVE covered their bases pretty well... not many holes here, eh?)
de Pablo
Rihm (more, please!!)

Yea, I'm probably just being difficult... they've done well, but I just haven't seen the need in getting ANY of their discs after that Rihm 12(10?). Well, uh, no, that Ferneyhough is obviously a monstrous achievement- - it's ok, Arditti discs are usually pretty expen$$$ive...

Everyone should hear their Schoenberg! ;) 3-4

One I like is their Lachenmann, mainly for Grido. And the Maderna for the quartet in two tempos. I got Pulse Shadows very recently and feel very positive.

I believe Arditti made an LP of some of the Ferneyhough quartets which never got transferred to CD. Is that right?

One I really want to hear is the Schoenberg late trio - can someone upload it for me? It's hard to find.

snyprrr

The Arditti have lost me.

I just don't see anything recent of interest. They have really plunged into "New Composers", for which I have absolutely no interest.

I still expect them to do some GreatThings, but, at this point, their interests seem quite far from what I'd like out of them. (which is... what???)

Anyone still care?

Mandryka

Quote from: snyprrr on February 26, 2017, 08:37:11 AM
The Arditti have lost me.

I just don't see anything recent of interest. They have really plunged into "New Composers", for which I have absolutely no interest.

I still expect them to do some GreatThings, but, at this point, their interests seem quite far from what I'd like out of them. (which is... what???)

Anyone still care?

Yes, Jonathan Harvey.

Oclock

Zayín (1983-1997), by Francisco Guerrero Marín (1951-1997). Video recording of the world premiere in Seville (Spain) by the Arditti Quartet on February 8, 1997.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ltrFSlU_jk

GioCar

Here's an amazing album that I recently downloaded:

Now listening to the Maderna's Quartetto per archi in due tempi.

ritter

Quote from: GioCar on September 23, 2018, 12:36:20 AM
Here's an amazing album that I recently downloaded:

Now listening to the Maderna's Quartetto per archi in due tempi.
Indeed, a wonderful album. I bought a (used) physical copy a couple of months ago—I had been looking for it for quite a while—and really enjoyed it. The recording of the Maderna is AFAIK  the same as that contained in the Arditti's "Bruno Maderna for strings" CD, but other pieces (the Bussotti, Berio's first SQ, etc.) were new to me and very interesting.

Good day, Gio!

GioCar

Good afternoon Rafael.

Yes, wonderful album indeed. A couple of composers - Scodanibbio and Melchiorre - simply unknown to me. Scodanibbio in particular seems to be very interesting and worth deserving an in-depth research.

Just wondering where are the other albums of the series (Arditti quartet edition). This is no.24-25, but what about the rest?

ritter

Ask, and you will receive.... ;)

You'll see quite a few (but I think not all) in this link: discogs Arditti Quartet Edition.

I have "Cinq Quatuors Espagnols", "From Vienna", the Maderna, both Nono releases and the set with Schoenberg's SQs in my collection (plus the recently purchased "From Italy" album).

Your comment this morning led me to further investigation, and I've ordered this used  (it's not billed as part of the "edition" AFAIK, even if it was released by the same label, Montaigne ):

[asin]B00006IWR0[/asin]

I know Berio's First SQ (from the album we've been discussing) and the third, "Notturno"  (with the Alban Berg Quartett), but not the other two pieces es on this disc.

GioCar

Quote from: ritter on September 23, 2018, 05:51:53 AM

You'll see quite a few (but I think not all) in this link: discogs Arditti Quartet Edition.

I have "Cinq Quatuors Espagnols", "From Vienna", the Maderna, both Nono releases and the set with Schoenberg's SQs in my collection (plus the recently purchased "From Italy" album).

Your comment this morning led me to further investigation, and I've ordered this used  (it's not billed as part of the "edition" AFAIK, even if it was released by the same label, Montaigne ):

[asin]B00006IWR0[/asin]

I know Berio's First SQ (from the album we've been discussing) and the third, "Notturno"  (with the Alban Berg Quartett), but not the other two pieces es on this disc.

A nice buy!

BTW thank you for the link, I'd have hoped for a more homogeneous edition and, anyway, I believe most (if not all) of them are OOP.

Now listening to their rendition of Sciarrino's Sei quartetti brevi. Much more incisive than the Quartetto Prometeo's (Kairos), the only other performance I know.

ritter

Quote from: ritter on September 23, 2018, 05:51:53 AM

.... and I've ordered this used  (it's not billed as part of the "edition" AFAIK, even if it was released by the same label, Montaigne ):

[asin]B00006IWR0[/asin]

The CD arrived today, and it turns out it is labelled "Arditti Quartet Edition 38" in tiny print on the back cover...