Gardiner's Beethoven Cycle

Started by hornteacher, May 23, 2007, 03:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don

I very much enjoy Gardiner's cycle.  It doesn't have the full sound of a Bohm, but no version has everything I would want.

Bunny

Quote from: Don on May 24, 2007, 11:49:29 AM
I very much enjoy Gardiner's cycle.  It doesn't have the full sound of a Bohm, but no version has everything I would want.

That's the type of thinking that keeps me buying and buying and buying...

Note to myself: Must stop this type of thinking! ;)

Valentino

I must find a way to convert this Gardiner DVD recording into CD redbook (I'm about to split audio and video). I like everything about it, even the weird resonance that the third horn produces.
We audiophiles don't really like music, but we sure love the sound it makes;
Audio-Technica | Bokrand | Thorens | Cambridge Audio | Logitech | Yamaha | Topping | MiniDSP | Hypex | ICEpower | Mundorf | SEAS | Beyma

Mark

Quote from: Valentino on May 24, 2007, 12:15:20 PM
I must find a way to convert this Gardiner DVD recording into CD redbook (I'm about to split audio and video). I like everything about it, even the weird resonance that the third horn produces.

When you figure out how to get a redbook copy from the DVD, let us all know. I have the film as well, and that performance of the Eroica was the one that finally made me understand why it's such an incredible work.

As for period bands doing Beethoven's symphonies, I'm eyeing up the complete Harnoncourt set as his Ninth is f**king outstanding.

Bunny

Quote from: Valentino on May 24, 2007, 12:15:20 PM

There are programs that can do that.  I think Nero and Roxio allow you to take a dvd sound track and convert it to cd.  I don't know precisely how to do it, but I've been assured that it can be done.  When you figure it out, please let me know so that I can rip my dvd of DuPre's recording of the Trout.

Bunny

Quote from: Mark on May 24, 2007, 01:37:11 PM
When you figure out how to get a redbook copy from the DVD, let us all know. I have the film as well, and that performance of the Eroica was the one that finally made me understand why it's such an incredible work.

As for period bands doing Beethoven's symphonies, I'm eyeing up the complete Harnoncourt set as his Ninth is f**king outstanding.

I'm not that crazy about Harnoncourt's Beethoven (perhaps a lapse of taste), but Immerseel is in the process of recording the symphonies with the Anima Eterna Orchestra, to be released in 2008. 

Drasko

Quote from: Bunny on May 24, 2007, 01:59:56 PM
There are programs that can do that. 

I have something called x-dvd-audio-ripper, very easy to use. 

Bunny

Quote from: Drasko on May 24, 2007, 02:08:21 PM
I have something called x-dvd-audio-ripper, very easy to use. 

Where do you find it?  Is it shareware on the internet, or is it a program for sale?

orbital

Jet audio (freeware) has an option where you can record whatever is playing on your computer in the format of your choice, if that helps.
The downside is it works in real time, but then you will be listening to Eroica once more. What's to lose  :D

Bunny

Mark

Just tried downloading x-dvd-audio-ripper, but the link was duff. :(

beclemund

Quote from: Mark on May 24, 2007, 02:21:05 PM
Just tried downloading x-dvd-audio-ripper, but the link was duff. :(

There are probably multitudes of packages available that allow you to rip the DVD audio track to MP3 or other formats. Just try googling "rip dvd audio to mp3" or some such...
"A guilty conscience needs to confess. A work of art is a confession." -- Albert Camus

Drasko

Quote from: Bunny on May 24, 2007, 02:15:51 PM
Where do you find it?  Is it shareware on the internet, or is it a program for sale?

http://www.xilisoft.com/dvd-audio-ripper.html

It seems to be for sale, sorry.

Mark

Thanks, Drasko.

Downloaded, installed and tested. Works like a charm on the Eroica DVD ... but full purchase is required to rip beyond five minutes of each track. Ho hum ...

Sound is superb, incidentally. :)

longears

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on May 23, 2007, 06:54:08 PMThe grand majority of Gardiner's recordings make me comatose but the Beethoven set is particularly dreadful.

A marvelous sleep-aid...and non-habit-forming.  But Brüggen's HIP LvB makes me grin.