Ussachevsky's Utopia

Started by Archaic Torso of Apollo, January 12, 2009, 09:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Does anyone else know and/or like the music of the Chinese- (or Mongolian-)born Russian-American composer Vladimir Ussachevsky? I just got my first CD of his music and have been listening to it:

It makes a strong impression. U. is known above all as a pioneer of electronic music, and this disc features a number of electronic compositions. I find them quite haunting, and also a bit more approachable (for lack of a better word) than the electronic music of figures like Xenakis and Stockhausen.

The most surprising thing on the disc is the Missa Brevis, which is not electronic in the least. It's an appealing work, sounds a bit like neo-classical Stravinsky, but again just a bit friendlier.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

gomro

Quote from: Spitvalve on January 12, 2009, 09:20:57 AM
Does anyone else know and/or like the music of the Chinese- (or Mongolian-)born Russian-American composer Vladimir Ussachevsky? I just got my first CD of his music and have been listening to it:

It makes a strong impression. U. is known above all as a pioneer of electronic music, and this disc features a number of electronic compositions. I find them quite haunting, and also a bit more approachable (for lack of a better word) than the electronic music of figures like Xenakis and Stockhausen.

The most surprising thing on the disc is the Missa Brevis, which is not electronic in the least. It's an appealing work, sounds a bit like neo-classical Stravinsky, but again just a bit friendlier.

I haven't heard that disc, but I have heard a few pieces by Ussachevsky, and they've all been pretty solid, though -- alas! -- I prefer Xenakis and Stockhausen!  I have a disc with the film scores Line of Apogee and No Exit, which looks just about like THIS:

The musique concrete elements are a bit too "undigested" to please me (there are stretches of Stockhausen's Hymnen that strike me the same way)but when it's good, it's very good.