Wilhelm Kempff

Started by Dr. Dread, January 15, 2009, 06:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Dread

Paper sleeves? Why is this '50s LvB box so high-priced?

George

Quote from: mn dave on January 28, 2009, 01:31:12 PM
Paper sleeves? Why is this '50s LvB box so high-priced?

It's OOP.

Dr. Dread

If it's so great, why is it oop?

George

Quote from: mn dave on January 28, 2009, 01:41:00 PM
If it's so great, why is it oop?

Because the monkeys that run the classical labels are very slow learners.

Dr. Dread

Next week, they'll re-release it for $20.  ::)

;D

George

Quote from: mn dave on January 28, 2009, 01:44:17 PM
Next week, they'll re-release it for $20.  ::)

;D

I've tried offering them bananas for CDs, but got no replies. Monkeys can't read.  :-\

George

So Dave, how does it compare to your stereo set? You own both, right?

Dr. Dread

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 01:47:28 PM
So Dave, how does it compare to your stereo set? You own both, right?

I just got it in the mail today, so who knows?  ;D

No, I don't have the stereo set.

Todd

Quote from: George on January 28, 2009, 01:39:15 PMIt's OOP.

I don't believe it's out of print; US and European outlets list it as in stock.  It's probably expensive because UMG can get away with charging a high price for a quality product.

One thing I'd like to see UMG reissue on CD is Kempff's recording of Beethoven's Bagatelles.  I'm just about to take the plunge back into vinyl, and I found this LP at a specialty dealer.  Why is it not on CD?  (There are some other fine LPs that don't appear to have ever made it to CD.)  I'd also like to see UMG reissue all of Kempff's Decca Schubert recordings.  There aren't too many, but the D845 is quite nice and makes me want more.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Cato

I had a recording of Kempff playing the last Beethoven Piano Sonatas, and his Opus 111 not only rawked at the appropriate moments, but attained an ineffable spirituality at the end.   0:)

It is the standard by which I measure all performances of this work.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Cato on January 28, 2009, 02:34:15 PM
I had a recording of Kempff playing the last Beethoven Piano Sonatas, and his Opus 111 not only rawked at the appropriate moments, but attained an ineffable spirituality at the end.   0:)

It is the standard by which I measure all performances of this work.

What happened to your recording and what year was it from?

George

Quote from: mn dave on January 28, 2009, 06:05:23 PM

The only release I know of that had the late works was from the stereo set.

Cato

Quote from: mn dave on January 28, 2009, 06:05:23 PM

Not from a set, it was a single LP, perhaps on the London label (?).  I gave it to my younger brother, and in the style of younger brothers, it disappeared!   :o

Which is why being the oldest (i.e. responsible, diligent, etc.) can be a curse!   0:)

It was bought in the 1960's, but no doubt was recorded in the 1950's.  I recall it being in stereo.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Holden

Quote from: Todd on January 28, 2009, 02:27:43 PM

I don't believe it's out of print; US and European outlets list it as in stock.  It's probably expensive because UMG can get away with charging a high price for a quality product.

One thing I'd like to see UMG reissue on CD is Kempff's recording of Beethoven's Bagatelles.  I'm just about to take the plunge back into vinyl, and I found this LP at a specialty dealer.  Why is it not on CD?  (There are some other fine LPs that don't appear to have ever made it to CD.)  I'd also like to see UMG reissue all of Kempff's Decca Schubert recordings.  There aren't too many, but the D845 is quite nice and makes me want more.

Did Kempff record all of the Bagatelles - I have a CD with Op 126 and from my research, that's all he ever recorded. BTW, the op 126 is very good.
Cheers

Holden

Todd

Quote from: Holden on January 29, 2009, 12:46:21 AMDid Kempff record all of the Bagatelles - I have a CD with Op 126 and from my research, that's all he ever recorded.

No, I don't think so.  The LP has Op 126 and a variety of other miniatures and leftovers (the Andante Favori).  I'm curious why DG doesn't do a straight reissue.

prémont

Quote from: Todd on January 29, 2009, 06:09:21 AM

No, I don't think so.  The LP has Op 126 and a variety of other miniatures and leftovers (the Andante Favori).  I'm curious why DG doesn't do a straight reissue.

Actually they did.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/SESSIONID/22d46a7725f6c4527cdde565d1763a41/classic/detail/-/hnum/5034118?rk=classic&rsk=hitlist
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Todd

Quote from: premont on January 29, 2009, 07:57:10 AMActually they did.

Sweet - looks like another CD I've got to buy.

Herman

Quote from: Todd on January 28, 2009, 02:27:43 PM
I'd also like to see UMG reissue all of Kempff's Decca Schubert recordings.  There aren't too many, but the D845 is quite nice and makes me want more.

I'm still hoping there will be another Original Masters Box dedicated to Kempff's mono recordings, there should be plenty left.

George

Quote from: jlaurson on January 29, 2009, 01:31:08 PM
FYI: It isn't actually OOP in Germany.

Yes, Todd mentioned that it is in print overseas. I have never seen it used or new in a US store, but I have only been collecting classical for about 7 or 8 years.