Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

The upoads are all finished now. Talk about slow. It was like trying to teach a garden snail to speak.
Not that I have I've ever tried that,I hasten to add!
I will try and do the moving to Public Folder & creating a link here next.

Yours Sincerely
                                                                          Fred Flinstone

J.Z. Herrenberg

The cause of Welsh symphonic music has found its champion.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

So the link must work then! I could be like you for Brian....although I may have a job beating Dundonnell! Must say the uploading here took ages. Not for the faint hearted. Finding that I had Jones's Cello Concerto was a suprise bonus. I'd forgotten about that. Not being a big fan of the Cello I have to admit to avoiding it. So,if you try it you will have got there before me. One of my favourites,incidentally,is the Fourth. If Dundonnell doesn't provide you with it,I can.
Also had some fun bumping the thread of the less than popular Henry Cowell.  I don't think MI was too impressed!
Brian and Jones are definately,infinitely, more profound.
But I do quite like Cowell,at his best,even if he's a weeny!

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am listening to the Second Symphony, and this is my kind of music, absolutely! This speaks to me immediately, without any problems. It isn't sweet, it's tough, but there is something magical there, too. I really really like this music!

Later: the second movement even ends with a bare fifth - very Brianic.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

Indeed,the DJ thread is starting to look a little busier now! I must say,I am ashamed to admit that I am unable to find the cd I made of the Second. I have only just found 'The Tigers' cd's. The back room is full of stuff,I can hardly reach the window. The charity shops will be busy. I intend to make  new cds,anyway,as the ones I bought were not brand names. Do you think that matters,longevity wise,I mean?
I believe Dundonnell is providing you with some more of his symphonies,if not,I can provide more,maybe,via you're virtual post box? No 4 is a personal favourite,particularly the second movement.
His earlier symphonies are more expansive. Like Brian,the later ones are more concentrated. Although,the final one harks back to his earlier form.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Just listened to the Second Symphony. I noticed the theme from the first movement is developed in the finale and also ends the piece. I like the way Jones uses the orchestra. His woodwind writing has a very 'Nordic' feel, a word Colin used and which is quite apt. His harmonic language can be quite dissonant. Jones' style hasn't that generic middle-of-the-century feel, it is quite personal. The percussion is used in a magical way (in the first movement especially), conjuring up a world of wonder and childhood.

First impressions, these.

cilgwyn

I'll get some cd's and make some more copies,this time using a respected brand! Unfortunately,the pc is upstairs & I don't have the superior Sennheiser cordless transmitter attached to it (I've got three!).
Very frustrating.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 11:23:56 AM
I'll get some cd's and make some more copies,this time using a respected brand! Unfortunately,the pc is upstairs & I don't have the superior Sennheiser cordless transmitter attached to it (I've got three!).
Very frustrating.

Using a good brand costs you more but it's a good investment. My oldest burned CDs are from 2006 and they're still fine (Sony CD-R).

cilgwyn

Even more frustrating after you're description!!!
At the same time,his music CAN be suprisingly lyrical,even romantic. The second movement of the Fourth is a case in point. It has a wild fantastical quality,very grand. The spirit of Welsh folklore and fantasy. I will upload it now or perhaps send you a link? And yes,I love the way he uses percussion. Do try the eighth,if and when you have the time. Like Brian,I do like the way he reveals his innermost secrets gradually. There's that superficially craggy,sometimes dissonant surface,but you slowly peel away at it,and after a while you realise it really is quite approachable,lyrical music,in it's own severe way. And his orchestration, at it's best,really glitters.
Regarding cd's and you're above post.Sony sound good to me & I've heard good things about them! My cds were bought at Rayman's (I always get the name wrong),a stationery chain. They may be allright,but I want my recordings to be safe! I can't help thinking of some of those bargain audio tapes. One thing about using a cassette deck now is that all the cheapo brands have given up on the medium. As far as I can make out only Sony and Maxell still make audio cassettes. I'd better stock up before long though,just in case!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 11:37:37 AMhis music CAN be suprisingly lyrical,even romantic

I agree. I just had a 'sneak preview' of the Eighth. It sounds enchanting. Yes, I like this music!

cilgwyn

If you want to save time,try movement 3 of the eighth. It's only a little over 3 minutes long!

cilgwyn

The Fourth is on the way & will be joining the other files,hopefully within the next 30 minutes. I'll leave 8 & 4 for a while and then remove them. The others can stay up there as you can't get them any other way.
No 7 is tremendous! But you've got enough to get on with for now,I suppose?

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 11:54:30 AM
The Fourth is on the way & will be joining the other files,hopefully within the next 30 minutes. I'll leave 8 & 4 for a while and then remove them. The others can stay up there as you can't get them any other way.
No 7 is tremendous! But you've got enough to get on with for now,I suppose?

I'll make some coffee and listen to the Eighth later! Looking forward to the Fourth, too.

cilgwyn

As soon as I get the cds I'll be able to relax a little more while listening to you're Louis Glass and Rangstrom uploads. It's awkward listening on the pc & I must admit to being a bit old fashioned when it comes to listening to music. Anyway,my comfy chair is next to the cd player!

cilgwyn

Once I finish uploading the Fourth I will log off here for a while & do a bit writing (and watch the end of a film I've been watching).

J.Z. Herrenberg

I am sampling DJ's string quartets, too. They sound very interesting, I must say...

http://www.theclassicalshop.net/Details.aspx?CatalogueNumber=CHAN%209535

Quote from: cilgwyn on September 03, 2011, 12:11:15 PM
Once I finish uploading the Fourth I will log off here for a while & do a bit writing (and watch the end of a film I've been watching).

Being the landlord of a thread is hard work...

cilgwyn

You're ahead of me there. Now YOU'RE officially the Jones expert! This is what comes of being too obsessed with symphonies!
Actually,I DO like string quartets,though I didn't use to,and I just had to go to the Chandos website too! These sound very interesting. I'm on a bit of a budget at the moment,so I'll have to make do with the samples now. I was looking for some off the beaten track string quartets & these sound like my cup of tea. Dundonnell said he liked them,didn't he.
As I get older I DO find myself being drawn,more and more,to instrumental combinations. When I was younger it was ALL orchestras.
Must get these before Xmas.
Actually,I think I did download the booklet somewhere.

cilgwyn

I feel a bit embarassed and daft at overlooking these,Johan. As Janis Joplin once said," I must make amends" (although I will hopefully do a better job of it than she did).
Also,if I download these I may have finally got enough points to claim my free Chandos cd! (If downloads count?).
Got to get these!

cilgwyn

J.Z. Herrenberg