Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cilgwyn

Quote from: DaveF on October 30, 2014, 02:07:03 PM
Thank you for that heads-up - pretty good overall, and very moving at the end.  I could have done with a bit more grief being outpoured, but perhaps that's the idea - too much to be said, so better end quickly and restrainedly.  The music doesn't sound a lot like anyone else, does it? - not obviously British at all.  I found myself thinking, especially in the middle movement, of those composers who seem to take Hindemith as a model, perhaps with a bit of Sibelius - someone like Kokkonen, perhaps.  Anyway, will listen again (and record) on iPlayer.
I tend to agree with your observations. It was a bit late for intelligent comment last night,I fear! It was great to hear another interpretation. During the interval a comment was made to the effect that this was possibly his finest symphony. I will have to listen again for the exact words used. I like the Fourth,but I think some of his later symphonies are even better. They are more concentrated and his exploration of interesting orchestral timbres and instrumentation mark them out. I'm thinking of No's 8 & 9 in particular. But I love the 'sea music' in No 7,too. I also,marginally, prefer the unrecorded No 2 over No 4. It seems more focused. Having said that,I like them both!

vandermolen

Listened to Symphony 9 tonight and greatly enjoyed it (Lyrita CD). I think that it is the same performance (Bryden Thomson) which I had on a BBC LP in my youth, then coupled with Symphony 8. His style reminds me a little of Lennox Berkeley and Alan Rawsthorne, both of whose music I admire.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Maestro267

Fantastic news! A few performances of some of the symphonies that haven't been released yet have appeared on Youtube, which means hopefully they will eventually be released as well.

vandermolen

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

Great cover photo. I just hope there will be more!! I live in Wales and I think it is frankly ridiculous that so many of his symphonies are unrecorded. As to the so called BBC National Orchestra of Wales? Wonderful orchestra,but they should be playing much more Welsh music!! >:( >:( >:D
Anyway.........!!! ::) ;D

Maestro267

One interesting aspect of Jones' symphonies is that each of the first 12 (he later wrote a 13th) is predominantly "in" a different key of the chromatic scale. And Jones begins his 9th Symphony with a tone row comprising the root notes of the previous 8 symphonies, in order, before arriving at the key of that particular symphony, C.

vandermolen

Actually it was Symphony 8 I listened to the other day rather than No.9. I listened to it again tonight - possibly my favourite symphony by Daniel Jones.
I just heard the opening of Symphony 1 on You Tube which sounds terrific - can't wait for the CD release. Perhaps Lyrita could issue Ruth Gipps's 4th Symphony one day.

vandermolen

I agree with Colin ('Dundonnell') who sadly doesn't post here anymore that there is an appealing 'Nordic seriousness' about Jones's symphonies which is appealing. I'm also reminded of Holmboe when I listen to his music. Thanks to the recent revival of this thread I've been listening to the Lyrita CD with symphonies 4,7 and 8 and appreciating them as never before even though I owned the original LPs.

By the way cilgwyn I realise that your avatar image is of Daniel Jones. Hitherto I had assumed that it was a photo of yourself!
8)

vandermolen

I have been enjoying Symphony 4 'In Memory of Dylan Thomas' - the final movement is particularly good. As with Alan Rawsthorne the music does not give up its secrets easily, but the powerful, brooding atmosphere eventually makes for a compelling listening experience,

cilgwyn

I could do with that distinguished white quiff of hair,vandermolen! :( ;D Funnily enough,I tend to picture the posters here as looking like their Avatar photographs! (Mirror Image is obviously a man of many faces!!) Going back to the music! Symphonies 4 & 7 are the first Daniel Jones symphonies I ever heard,courtesy of a library Lp. I think No 4 is probably my favourite;partly because of that. It's also,I feel,in some ways his most romantic. The second movement has a fantastical quality about it,which brings to mind Welsh folk tales and legends. It is both exciting and strikes me as Daniel Jones at his most immediately approachable,if you were someone who was new to his music. Taken on it's own,it strikes me as quite a showpiece. The first movement has a haunting quality which really stays in my mind after listening to it. It has a craggy grandeur to it which is very imposing. I find it quite thrilling,actually! I can understand why a Brianite might be attracted to this music. I need to listen to the Seventh again before posting;but I seem to remember it bringing to mind seascapes;and the first movement,if I remember correctly,ending with a particularly thrilling flourish.

cilgwyn

Quote from: vandermolen on November 08, 2016, 12:52:05 PM
Actually it was Symphony 8 I listened to the other day rather than No.9. I listened to it again tonight - possibly my favourite symphony by Daniel Jones.
I just heard the opening of Symphony 1 on You Tube which sounds terrific - can't wait for the CD release. Perhaps Lyrita could issue Ruth Gipps's 4th Symphony one day.
Actually,I was thinking the eighth is my favourite now;not the Fourth! The opening is superb. I need to listen to the symphonies again though, before posting. Unfortunately,right now I seem to have caught the Mahler bug from Sarge!! ??? ;D (I've even bought Klemperer's Seventh!! :o) The eighth is full of absorbing timbres and is more tightly structured than the Fourth (Jones not Mahler!) which is a little too rhapsodic for it's own good,perhaps (if I have to criticise it). I should point out that the seascapes I am alluding to in the Seventh are a little different to those of Debussy or Bax!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: cilgwyn on November 22, 2016, 04:41:42 AMUnfortunately,right now I seem to have caught the Mahler bug from Sarge!! ??? ;D (I've even bought Klemperer's Seventh!! :o)

And I've caught the  D. Jones bug...I'll be listening to his symphonies today. I think I've only heard them once before (4, 6, 7, 8, 9)

Good luck with Klemp's M7  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

Very,very good news for Daniel Jones admirers! Lyrita are planning to release all the recordings of the commercially unrecorded symphonies,made by the BBC. No's 2, 3, 5, 11 and 12 are all in preparation;although possibly not the unnumbered thirteenth, Symphony "In memoriam John Fussell"?
I got this information from Dundonnell at the Art Music Forum,who in turn received this news from John Quinn,via the Musicweb Message Board.

cilgwyn

You can listen to samples on Amazon,now;and download the recording. You can also pre-order it there. I will defer for the time being,as it is usually possible to purchase Lyrita cds at a lower price on the Musicweb site. My Musicweb pre-order of Bernard Van Dieren's Chinese Symphony arrived some time before the official release date!! According to posts on the Musicweb Message Board it isn't possible to place an order there yet;but hopefully it will be possible in the New Year. Have a look at the Message Board if you want to know more.

Again,for anyone who doesn't know! Lyrita are going to be releasing all the remaining Daniel Jones symphonies that haven't made it to cd,yet. The unnumbered thirteenth isn't included in their plans yet,it seems;but hopefully it will happen (we'll see!).

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 01, 2016, 06:54:50 AM
Very,very good news for Daniel Jones admirers! Lyrita are planning to release all the recordings of the commercially unrecorded symphonies,made by the BBC. No's 2, 3, 5, 11 and 12 are all in preparation;although possibly not the unnumbered thirteenth, Symphony "In memoriam John Fussell"?
I got this information from Dundonnell at the Art Music Forum,who in turn received this news from John Quinn,via the Musicweb Message Board.
Great news indeed! I look forward greatly to hearing Symphony 1. Haven't got round to playing the Chinese Symphony yet.

cilgwyn

radicle

You guys are awesome. The best-fifth-symphony-by-a-20th-C-composer thread sent me bumbling through YouTube where I bumped into Daniel Jones in the form of his Symphony No. 11. (How did I get to 11 from 5?) It was immediately appealing, and reminiscent of Holmboe . . . checking back here I find a thread devoted to Jones, and sure enough, I should have expected to like it. That it looks like he's in the process of being "rediscovered" only adds to my good fortune.
So where should I go next? No. 4? 8?
Sadly, my library is cancelling its Freegal contract, effective tomorrow, so I'll be mostly dependent on YouTube for new listening.

vandermolen

Quote from: radicle on January 17, 2017, 12:40:10 AM
You guys are awesome. The best-fifth-symphony-by-a-20th-C-composer thread sent me bumbling through YouTube where I bumped into Daniel Jones in the form of his Symphony No. 11. (How did I get to 11 from 5?) It was immediately appealing, and reminiscent of Holmboe . . . checking back here I find a thread devoted to Jones, and sure enough, I should have expected to like it. That it looks like he's in the process of being "rediscovered" only adds to my good fortune.
So where should I go next? No. 4? 8?
Sadly, my library is cancelling its Freegal contract, effective tomorrow, so I'll be mostly dependent on YouTube for new listening.

Good to hear that you enjoy his music. Of the ones I know I have just been discovering Symphony 4, in memory of his friend Dylan Thomas. I find it moving in an understated way which avoids all sentimentality - a fine work although it took me a while to appreciate it. My other favourites are 6,8 and 9. I have ordered a new release of Symphonies 1 and 10 on Lyrita which, according to the sample extracts, sound great. For those who've ordered this new release through Amazon and, like me, have got fed up with waiting I have now ordered it today direct from Lyrita. The CD is in stock and they couldn't understand why there is a problem with Amazon deliveries. I have cancelled my Amazon order. Lyrita told me they would send it out first class today.  :)

cilgwyn

A very enthusiastic review of the new Daniel Jones cd from Lyrita on Musicweb,for those who haven't seen it!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Jan/Jones_sys_SRCD358.htm