Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on January 19, 2017, 11:54:32 AM
A very enthusiastic review of the new Daniel Jones cd from Lyrita on Musicweb,for those who haven't seen it!

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Jan/Jones_sys_SRCD358.htm
Thanks. Having waited for months for Amazon to deliver the CD and given up it arrived the next day after ordering it directly from Lyrita. I haven't much to add to the excellent review on Musicweb except that the First Symphony, I think shows the influence of Sibelius, in particular the last movement with its echoes of 'Nightride and Sunrise'. I found both symphonies to be very rewarding listening, especially Symphony 1. I find Jones to be a more rewarding symphonist than Robert Simpson for example.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2017, 12:36:41 PM
I find Jones to be a more rewarding symphonist than Robert Simpson for example.

Whoa, steady on!

:)
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on January 19, 2017, 09:33:41 PM
Whoa, steady on!

:)
I need to listen to more Simpson - I like symphonies 1 and 3. Many enthuse about No.9 and this is one I struggle with but I will persevere with it.  :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: vandermolen on January 19, 2017, 11:32:30 PM
I need to listen to more Simpson - I like symphonies 1 and 3. Many enthuse about No.9 and this is one I struggle with but I will persevere with it.  :)
I struggle to name a Simpson symphony I find weaker than the rest (6 maybe?). My favourites vary but always include 8, 10, 11. Number 4 is a perfect 'classical' symphony LOL

Meanwhile I preservere with the Jones symphonies....
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

vandermolen

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on January 20, 2017, 11:08:21 AM
I struggle to name a Simpson symphony I find weaker than the rest (6 maybe?). My favourites vary but always include 8, 10, 11. Number 4 is a perfect 'classical' symphony LOL

Meanwhile I preservere with the Jones symphonies....

Yes, keep going with the Jones symphonies.  8)

Maestro267

A quick heads-up that Daniel Jones' Violin Concerto will be performed and broadcast live on BBC Radio 3 on Friday afternoon.

lescamil

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08bbn1l

This is the program. Lots of great Welsh music on here. I'll be recording it for sure.
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

J.Z. Herrenberg

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

cilgwyn

I posted this a little while ago on the "What are you listening to now" thread. I'm still listening to it.

"I'm listening to a cd-r of Daniel Jones' Second Symphony,now. One of this Welsh composers finest. Lyrita are going to be releasing this on cd. I know he's been called a Welsh Vagn Holmboe. I don't know about that;but he is very good. You can almost see the Welsh land/sea-scapes;but he's not as pictorial as Bax. This is more craggy;but his use of the orchestra is quite dazzling,once you get past the deceptively tough exterior. Like the best symphonies,I always feel this music is going somewhere".

Marvellous! I think it's amongst the most satisfyng and absorbing British (and Welsh!) symphonies I have ever listened to! Some of it is quite Sibelian. Brooding landscapes spring to mind.....and also,of the mind! I can understand why this music appeals to some Brianites (Ahoy there,Johan! :) ;D). I don't want to go over the top,but this really is good!

Maestro267

Quote from: cilgwyn on April 11, 2017, 04:00:30 AM
I'm listening to a cd-r of Daniel Jones' Second Symphony,now. One of this Welsh composers finest. Lyrita are going to be releasing this on cd.

On August 4th, according to Amazon. Coupled with the 11th Symphony. BBC Welsh SO conducted by Bryden Thomson.

vandermolen

I've been playing Symphony 1 on Lyrita a great deal with increasing pleasure.

cilgwyn

This is the sort of Lp cover I used to like. "Submerged wreck in Rhossili Bay,Gower". I hadn't seen this one until now. The one I used to borrow from my library had a different sleeve. I think it had Daniel Jones on the front?!! (Haven't got time to trawl sleeves now!). Of course,a new Daniel Jones cd will be out before very long (see right).

vandermolen

Exciting news. I'm still enjoying Symphony 1 which I play regularly.

vandermolen

Thought Symphony 2 sounded rather dense on You Tube. I will wait a bit before rushing out to order it.

cilgwyn

Hm! His Second is definitely one of my favourites. Right from that opening. Haven't you got an off air recording? They did have it at the AMF. It might not be there now,of course,as they take them off when a cd recording is announced,or released.

cilgwyn

I'm suprised. I think it's one of his most lyrical and approachable.

vandermolen

Quote from: cilgwyn on July 07, 2017, 11:48:03 AM
Hm! His Second is definitely one of my favourites. Right from that opening. Haven't you got an off air recording? They did have it at the AMF. It might not be there now,of course,as they take them off when a cd recording is announced,or released.
I'll listen again and no doubt get the Lyrita CD in due course. I'm sure I'll come to like it in the end.

cilgwyn

I listened to it again after reading your post. The Second is undoubtedly one of my favourite symphonies by Daniel Jones. It has one of the best openings and I have always regarded it as one of his most approachable symphonies. Sine I first heard it,of course. It has also had received of the most enthusiastic posts at the Art Music Forum. I know Johan likes it,too!! To sum up,I am rather surprised at your reaction!! It struck me immediately as Jones at his most lyrical and romantic,in some ways (that wonderful opening). It seems a sort of halfway point between the early more expansive Jones,and the more compact symphonies that followed. That said,you don't have to be immediately bowled over by it!! ;D

I bought the Lyrita cd of his Symphonies 1 & 11,yesterday. A new copy. It hasn't been posted yet. I had to hold off for a while,unfortunately! Bills to pay,and that sort of thing!! :( ;D I should be ready to acquire the next Daniel Jones then,when it's released in August. I had a cd-r of the First Symphony,from an off air recording uploaded to the AMF,and have been enjoying this fine symphony. The recording is perfectly listenable,but afflicted by some severe "wobble" in a few places (either wow & flutter or damage to the tape?). It will be wonderful to hear it without these impediments to my enjoyment! Incidentally,the photos used for the Lyrita cds are excellent.