Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: André on August 19, 2017, 01:24:07 PM

Second listening this week of the Lyrita disc of symphonies 4, 7 and 8.

It's hard to to think of a better introduction to the composer than these wonderful works and interpretations. Symphony no 4 from 1954 is dedicated to his close friend Dylan Thomas (Jones wrote some music for him). A 3-movement work that packs loads of emotions and musical substance in a self-imposed severely economical language. Symphony no 7 is my favourite - or at least its 2nd movement espressivo, redolent of Sibelius' 7th in its whimsical whiffs of the welsh soil. Oh, and the last movement with its startlingly shostakovichian string tremolos (symphonies 6:I and 11:1 come to mind).

Symphony 8 was written in lockstep with no 7. Both are dated from the year 1972. Like RVW's and Malcolm Arnold's symphonies, those of Jones sound strikingly different from one another, yet they clearly flow from the same fount of ideas and tools. No 8 reminds me a bit of RVW 8 in its use of odd instrumental combinations, but it is more cryptic, progressing from movement to movement (5 of them, with multiple subdivisions) as if disinterested from what went before, exploring new things with unceasing curiosity. A bit like a 3 year old's attention span, constantly shifting to new centers of interest. The movement's titles give away the game plan (see below):

That's a great CD Andre and I had the Dylan Thomas In Memoriam symphony on LP. My CD of Symphony 2 etc has arrived.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Let us know about the 2nd, Jeffrey !

I only have mp3 of an aircheck of the first 2 movements to form an opinion... ::)

cilgwyn

I've collected the first two cd's in the current Lyrita series. After a little,initial,indecision of what to make of the predominantly lyrical First's more craggy successor,I am beginning to find the Symphony No 2 as absorbing as it's predecessor. The second movement with that magical opening,really decided it for me. This was his last symphony in this more expansive form. In this respect I think there may have been a bit of experimentation here. His symphonies became much more concise after this. The second seems to mix the more predominantly lyrical vein of the earlier symphony with a more craggy,terse,touch hewn demeanour. In that respect I think it is possibly even more absorbing than it's predecessor,in some respects. The First symphony remains my favourite,of the two;but in a way the tougher,more cryptic nature of this symphony gives you a bit more to get your proverbial teeth into.......and there's allot of lyricism and beauty here. That second movement in particular. Oh,and I mustn't forget the tenth symphony. More on that in a later post!!

vandermolen

Following Andre's post I listened to No.4 (the Dylan Thomas one) which I liked very much, although I think that the best music is in the finale. No.2 up soon.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

cilgwyn

A Musicweb review of the new Lyrita cd release of Daniel Jones' Symphonies 2 & 11:

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2017/Aug/Jones_syms_SRCD364.htm

Not enough about the actual music on the cd,in this review,imho!

cilgwyn

Also,the first time I've seen the compositions of Daniel Jones described as "dropped balls"! :o ;D

cilgwyn

I seem to have acquired the Chandos 2 cd set of Daniel Jones' String Quartets for around £19! I just hope it will be in the "Very good" condition described. That seller hasn't let me down yet. I've been hoping to acquire this set for a long,long time;but it's always horribly expensive!

André

One of the most interesting and rewarding SQ sets I know. Hope you like it !

cilgwyn

In the right thread,now!! ::)

For anyone who doesn't know;Dundonnell,who was a member here for a long time,and now 'resides' at the Art Music Forum,has "annoyed" (his word! ;D) Lyrita,via the Musicweb Message Board,into revealing that (to quote Lyrita) "Daniel Jones Symphonies 3 & 5 are scheduled for release in June 2019 with Symphonies 12, 13 and Cantata currently scheduled for November 2019". They will also be recording,previously unheard and unrecorded piano music,by Daniel Jones,in the New Year. They are hoping that the first of these  will be released on cd,in the second half of the year. Incidentally,which "Cantata" are they referring to? The,1958 The Country Beyond the Stars, cantata after Henry Vaughan,is already available on a Lyrita cd.

Yes,I should have emphasised that Dundonnell was being humorous. Referring to the manner in which he appeared to have worn Lyrita into revealing some of their release plans. The relevant posts can be seen & read on the Musicweb Message Board and at the Art Music Forum.

cilgwyn

Quote from: André on December 19, 2018, 05:27:35 AM
One of the most interesting and rewarding SQ sets I know. Hope you like it !
Andre: Is the Daniel Jones String Qt set a slimline or old style "fatbox"? I presume (?) it's the latter,because it's an earlier release from this company. I may be wrong,of course?!

cilgwyn

Just wondering?! There's so little room here! I could get rid of some Gilbert and Sullivan,of course?!! ::) ;D

This?                                                                                                                      For this?!! (gulp! ??? :()

vandermolen

Coincidentally listening to Daniel Jones's fine Symphony 1.

cilgwyn

My copy of the String Quartets has been dispatched,apparently! To get me in the mood (although,I'll probably have to wait,being Xmas?) I think I will follow you,by putting on Daniel Jones' First Symphony,too! :) Nice to see a painting of the sea on the front of that St Qt set,by the way!

André

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 19, 2018, 07:04:52 AM
Andre: Is the Daniel Jones String Qt set a slimline or old style "fatbox"? I presume (?) it's the latter,because it's an earlier release from this company. I may be wrong,of course?!

It's not slim. 2cd box, same size as most opera sets. You're in for a treat !

André

Quote from: cilgwyn on December 19, 2018, 06:59:43 AM
In the right thread,now!! ::)

For anyone who doesn't know;Dundonnell,who was a member here for a long time,and now 'resides' at the Art Music Forum,has "annoyed" (his word! ;D) Lyrita,via the Musicweb Message Board,into revealing that (to quote Lyrita) "Daniel Jones Symphonies 3 & 5 are scheduled for release in June 2019 with Symphonies 12, 13 and Cantata currently scheduled for November 2019". They will also be recording,previously unheard and unrecorded piano music,by Daniel Jones,in the New Year. They are hoping that the first of these  will be released on cd,in the second half of the year. Incidentally,which "Cantata" are they referring to? The,1958 The Country Beyond the Stars, cantata after Henry Vaughan,is already available on a Lyrita cd.

Yes,I should have emphasised that Dundonnell was being humorous. Referring to the manner in which he appeared to have worn Lyrita into revealing some of their release plans. The relevant posts can be seen & read on the Musicweb Message Board and at the Art Music Forum.

Good to hear from Dundonnel ! And good to hear from Lyrita, too !!

Maestro267

Great to hear of potential release dates for future Daniel Jones releases, even if they are some time off yet.

cilgwyn

Playing here,now! The eight String quartets of Daniel Jones. These are good as some admirers say they are. Actually,mine is in a slimline jewel case (a later reissue?) and appears to be in very good condition. I'm hoping there will be no problems with the cd's. This is fantastic music. I can understand why someone reckoned that his best music was in these quartets,not the symphonies (much as I love,them!). These are very absorbing. They should be better known. Nice booklet notes by someone who knew him  (Giles Easterbrook) & made a performing edition (with Malcolm Binney) of the eighth;which Jones was working on,the morning he died. The painting on the front is,'Seascape by Karl Pierre Daubigny,by the way! And probably derived from one of the artists trip to Brittany (the Celtic connection!).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2017, 03:25:15 AM
That's a great CD Andre and I had the Dylan Thomas In Memoriam symphony on LP. My CD of Symphony 2 etc has arrived.

A recording from EMI in 1972 made by Bishop and Eltham. Lyrita had no input whatsoever and yet for CD issued on that label probably for no other reason then Daniel Jones being British. I find it sad that the rich legacy of labels of the past is diluted in this way. A Decca recording would have a certain sound that was unlike EMI, RCA unlike Mercury and so on. Today it as likely that a Philips recording is released on Decca or vice the versa. Not that makes any difference as they are just names, what made them what they were is long gone. Same could be said of orchestras and conductors of today but that is a rant of another day! :-X

I thought the Daniel Jones 4th Symphony outstanding and perplexed it is not better known. I watched an excellent TV documentary on Dylan Thomas a few years ago which made a big impression, this for me added extra meaning to the symphony. I have not listened to the 7th yet.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 14, 2019, 02:02:56 AM

A recording from EMI in 1972 made by Bishop and Eltham. Lyrita had no input whatsoever and yet for CD issued on that label probably for no other reason then Daniel Jones being British. I find it sad that the rich legacy of labels of the past is diluted in this way. A Decca recording would have a certain sound that was unlike EMI, RCA unlike Mercury and so on. Today it as likely that a Philips recording is released on Decca or vice the versa. Not that makes any difference as they are just names, what made them what they were is long gone. Same could be said of orchestras and conductors of today but that is a rant of another day! :-X

I thought the Daniel Jones 4th Symphony outstanding and perplexed it is not better known. I watched an excellent TV documentary on Dylan Thomas a few years ago which made a big impression, this for me added extra meaning to the symphony. I have not listened to the 7th yet.
Here's the LP I had:

Maestro267

That looks a lot like Worm's Head on that album cover. On the very tip of the Gower Peninsula.