Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Maestro267 on March 15, 2019, 07:44:23 AM
That looks a lot like Worm's Head on that album cover. On the very tip of the Gower Peninsula.
Thanks - interesting to know. I like the photo.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

It never ceases to amaze! Daniel Jones was not on my radar at all and since reading this thread he seems to be popping up all over. Quite surprised to come across this recording at an Oxfam shop. Any good?

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on March 21, 2019, 07:47:23 AM
It never ceases to amaze! Daniel Jones was not on my radar at all and since reading this thread he seems to be popping up all over. Quite surprised to come across this recording at an Oxfam shop. Any good?

Looks like a great LP! Mathias's first is my favourite of his works and I have enjoyed all the Daniel Jones symphonies which I have heard.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

André

Quote from: vandermolen on March 21, 2019, 09:22:47 AM
Looks like a great LP! Mathias's first is my favourite of his works and I have enjoyed all the Daniel Jones symphonies which I have heard.

+1

The Jones seems to be the same performance that appears on a Lyrita cd. I have another performance of the Mathias symphony. It is an excellent work indeed.

Irons

Thank you both for your reply. I listened to the Jones symphony last night and plan to listen to Mathias tonight. I am impressed with the 6th, a strong work packed with ideas. Also an impressive symphonic layout with three movements with a break between each one and each movement in two parts without breaks, making for six movements altogether. I normally have difficulty distinguishing between sections of a work without breaks but not here as each part is a contrast with the other.

The sound is fabulous which is a big plus with such a dynamic work. I'm reading some of this between the lines, but the stereo recording was originally by Pye. Oriel, who I think may be the record label arm of the Welsh Arts Council, obtained the rights and subcontracted pressing and possibly re-mastering to Nimbus for reissue. Nimbus produced superb pressings and this record appears unplayed so delighted with purchase.

Helpfully listed are other Jones and Mathias recordings released under the auspices of the Welsh Arts Council . The one that caught my eye is, Jones: String Quartet, String Trio and Kettle Drum Sonata. Argo ZRG 771.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Peter Power Pop

J.Z. Herrenberg

Thank you! Alas, I remember it showed a planet or star in space. .
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Peter Power Pop

Quote from: J.Z. Herrenberg on March 29, 2019, 02:42:20 AM
Thank you! Alas, I remember it showed a planet or star in space. .

That was the only one I could find that might be considered "cosmic".

I'll keep looking. (I'm now a man on a mission.)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Peter Power Pop on March 29, 2019, 02:44:38 AM
That was the only one I could find that might be considered "cosmic".

I'll keep looking. (I'm now a man on a mission.)

Good luck! I borrowed the record in the 1980s.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Peter Power Pop

J.Z. Herrenberg

J.Z. Herrenberg

I think I found it...

Peter Power Pop

Figaro

Anyone with any inside knowledge from Lyrita know what happened to the rest of the Daniel Jones symphony cycle? I saw somewhere that they planned to release discs with symphonies 3, 5, 12 and 13 in late 2019, but that came and went. Has the plan been cancelled or is it just delayed?

vandermolen

Quote from: Figaro on August 25, 2020, 12:45:04 PM
Anyone with any inside knowledge from Lyrita know what happened to the rest of the Daniel Jones symphony cycle? I saw somewhere that they planned to release discs with symphonies 3, 5, 12 and 13 in late 2019, but that came and went. Has the plan been cancelled or is it just delayed?
Yes, I'm aware of that as well as I collected all the other releases. Maybe worth trying to contact Lyrita about it.

PS I notice that Presto in the UK are doing 25% off all Lyrita recordings until 21st September this year.

relm1

This was such a wonderful release!  I really enjoyed it from start to finish.  Wonderful recorded sound and the music is taught, dramatic, and energetic.  I feel the pacing was a bit brisk but never felt rushed, just that there was more musical space to explore.  Highly recommended!

André

Quote from: relm1 on March 24, 2021, 04:02:54 PM
This was such a wonderful release!  I really enjoyed it from start to finish.  Wonderful recorded sound and the music is taught, dramatic, and energetic.  I feel the pacing was a bit brisk but never felt rushed, just that there was more musical space to explore.  Highly recommended!

I look forward to listent to it. I intend to purchase it in a month or two (must digest my latest splurge)  ::).

vandermolen

André

Thanks, Jeffrey. When I eventually get the disc I'll include it in a comprehensive Jones-o-thon of the complete symphonies and string quartets.

Big David

Hi!  I'm fairly new on this board.  I listen to a lot of 20th century British music.  I've just finished listening to the disc of Daniel Jones' 3rd and 5th symphonies and I'm really impressed.  I've also been listening to the recent disc of music by David Matthews (A Vision of the Sea, which includes his 8th symphony) and Grace Williams' 2nd symphony.  I'd not heard of Grace Williams until recently and this work is a tremendous discovery.
I am a big fan of British cello concertos and collect all that are available.  I see that Daniel Jones wrote a cello concerto but it does not seem to be in the record catalogue.  Does anyone have it?  I'd be very grateful for a copy. 
I'm also on the lookout for recordings of the cello concertos by Ian Parrott and Francis Routh, if anyone has them.