Daniel Jones(1912-93)-a prolific Welsh symphonist

Started by Dundonnell, January 16, 2009, 06:23:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

relm1

Quote from: Big David on April 16, 2021, 04:53:38 AM
Hi!  I'm fairly new on this board.  I listen to a lot of 20th century British music.  I've just finished listening to the disc of Daniel Jones' 3rd and 5th symphonies and I'm really impressed.  I've also been listening to the recent disc of music by David Matthews (A Vision of the Sea, which includes his 8th symphony) and Grace Williams' 2nd symphony.  I'd not heard of Grace Williams until recently and this work is a tremendous discovery.
I am a big fan of British cello concertos and collect all that are available.  I see that Daniel Jones wrote a cello concerto but it does not seem to be in the record catalogue.  Does anyone have it?  I'd be very grateful for a copy. 
I'm also on the lookout for recordings of the cello concertos by Ian Parrott and Francis Routh, if anyone has them.

Daniel Jones Cello Concerto is on youtube so a radio broadcast exists so it could be coming to Lyrita eventually.

Big David

Irons

Hi!  I'm fairly new on this board.  I listen to a lot of 20th century British music.  I've just finished listening to the disc of Daniel Jones' 3rd and 5th symphonies and I'm really impressed.  I've also been listening to the recent disc of music by David Matthews (A Vision of the Sea, which includes his 8th symphony) and Grace Williams' 2nd symphony.  I'd not heard of Grace Williams until recently and this work is a tremendous discovery.
I am a big fan of British cello concertos and collect all that are available.  I see that Daniel Jones wrote a cello concerto but it does not seem to be in the record catalogue.  Does anyone have it?  I'd be very grateful for a copy. 
I'm also on the lookout for recordings of the cello concertos by Ian Parrott and Francis Routh, if anyone has them.

I can recommend highly a Naxos CD of Grace Williams chamber music. Chandos issued in three volumes, British cello sonatas. I have the third of the set and fully intend to purchase 1 & 2.

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on April 16, 2021, 07:02:23 AM
I can recommend highly a Naxos CD of Grace Williams chamber music. Chandos issued in three volumes, British cello sonatas. I have the third of the set and fully intend to purchase 1 & 2.

This is a very fine disc Lol. I especially like the Foulds work:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

The stand-out work for me, of those you mention, is Grace Williams's 2nd Symphony. I wasn't so keen on the Daniel Jones 3rd and 5th symphonies and need to give them another hearing. His 4th Symphony 'In Memory of Dylan Thomas' is, by far, my favourite. I enjoyed the new David Matthews CD, but not as much as the Dutton one featuring his 6th Symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mountain Goat

I've just noticed that the Lyrita CD of Symphonies 3 and 5 is finally out, and about time too! That leaves just 12 and 13, which hopefully will be along soon.

vandermolen

André

vandermolen

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: André on October 13, 2021, 10:31:14 AM
The hair seems to be an extension of the mug's beer foam !

Plus a black Brahms beard (beerd).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Irons

vandermolen

He's probably raising a toast to his old friend and drinking companion Dylan Thomas. Jones's 4th Symphony (the finest I think) is 'In Memory of Dylan Thomas' (I was going to write 'DT' but that would look like a bad-taste joke).

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2021, 11:32:43 PM
He's probably raising a toast to his old friend and drinking companion Dylan Thomas. Jones's 4th Symphony (the finest I think) is 'In Memory of Dylan Thomas' (I was going to write 'DT' but that would look like a bad-taste joke).

Sometimes those are the funniest.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

Roasted Swan

Another feather in the cap of the BBC...... and again Charles Groves and Bryden Thompson proving to be champions of underappreciated repertoire

vandermolen

Quote from: Roasted Swan on October 14, 2021, 12:01:19 AM
Another feather in the cap of the BBC...... and again Charles Groves and Bryden Thompson proving to be champions of underappreciated repertoire
+1

foxandpeng

"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

André

Quote from: foxandpeng on October 14, 2021, 03:29:34 AM
Hopefully also headed to the streaming platforms also, as this is a release I would very much like to hear

The symphonies are already available as a download (3 different versions of 12 and 2 of 13 on youtube) but I will buy the Lyrita CD. I want to raise a glass to Jones as I listen to his music !  :D

vandermolen

Quote from: André on October 14, 2021, 12:29:45 PM
The symphonies are already available as a download (3 different versions of 12 and 2 of 13 on youtube) but I will buy the Lyrita CD. I want to raise a glass to Jones as I listen to his music !  :D
Me too!  :)